Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Lastly:

1 2 flute releaved notice 6 angle sharpening on tip. Very hard to duplicate this sharpening with a DD
2 same bit. usually after these become dull, I use std DD grind. You can really tell the difference when drilling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2144.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	41688   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2145.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	41689  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
I have several flat plates for lathe dogs that fit my spindle. Can I cut one of them to fit a chuck to another lathe? Can I cut the back off of an adapter plate on a chuck and cut the flat plate to accept the existing plate and drill and tap to the existing plate. I will get photos later today.
OM, there are different ways to drive items between centres. There are lathe dogs with straight tails, and others with bent tails. Personally, I don't think I've head a centre in a headstock since high school machine shop, It's just not done very often anymore, even though it is 'common' in the books etc. I know we had a repair job to do at work several years ago that had to be between centres, the guy doing it just cut a centre on a piece of scrap in the three jaw. The lathe dog (bent tail) simply went up against a jaw of the chuck.

As far as your drive plate. If you know you're okay sacrificing the threads on the plate, cut them off, and machine it up do fit a backing plate from the chuck. (I assume this is the chuck you mentioned somewhere about being totally worn out.)

You may even be able to use the backing plate as is, and drill/thread for a bolt to drive straight tail lathe dogs.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Before we go sacrificing any back plates, how about pulling the back plate off that rmack gift chuck - make a witness mark first! - and see what kind of backplate it's going to need. It might be possible to use the worn-out chuck's plate on it.
Seems to me that's a lot higher priority than a faceplate for running with the dogs.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Lastly:

1 2 flute releaved notice 6 angle sharpening on tip. Very hard to duplicate this sharpening with a DD
With a good wheel, those secondary angles can be done by hand. If you watch as you do it, you can also sneak it sideways, which is what allows the centre to be 'split', which has the same effect as thinning the web.

I've seen some of the magnifying lamps mounted such that you could use them to look through while sharpening too, for those that can use a little extra aid in making it easier to see.

One of these days I need to find a good bench grinder....used to take them to work and do mine there when things were quiet, don't have that luxury anymore.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
OM, there are different ways to drive items between centres. There are lathe dogs with straight tails, and others with bent tails. Personally, I don't think I've head a centre in a headstock since high school machine shop, It's just not done very often anymore, even though it is 'common' in the books etc. I know we had a repair job to do at work several years ago that had to be between centres, the guy doing it just cut a centre on a piece of scrap in the three jaw. The lathe dog (bent tail) simply went up against a jaw of the chuck.

As far as your drive plate. If you know you're okay sacrificing the threads on the plate, cut them off, and machine it up do fit a backing plate from the chuck. (I assume this is the chuck you mentioned somewhere about being totally worn out.)

You may even be able to use the backing plate as is, and drill/thread for a bolt to drive straight tail lathe dogs.
The chuck is good and has the wrong thread. I was wondering about cutting it smooth and inserting the drive plate into it and attaching with screws.. I am a ways from actually doing anything with it and for now just looking.

Can I assume the used chuck is centered on the existing back plate? I guess you cannot assume anything.

The drive plate is not large enough to actually replace the backing plate on the chuck. I have three plates this size and one about 10"

The thread I need is 1.432" x 12tpi.

How about making an insert for the good chuck out of solid steel and then making new threads in it?

so much to learn, so little time.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
With a good wheel, those secondary angles can be done by hand. If you watch as you do it, you can also sneak it sideways, which is what allows the centre to be 'split', which has the same effect as thinning the web.

I've seen some of the magnifying lamps mounted such that you could use them to look through while sharpening too, for those that can use a little extra aid in making it easier to see.

One of these days I need to find a good bench grinder....used to take them to work and do mine there when things were quiet, don't have that luxury anymore.
Actually it is the same as a three angle on a valve job and then add the split points. I am not able to duplicate that cut so I keep 4 or 5 around and when they need sharpening, I use the regular DD process and break out a new one.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
That HURT!

I seem to be slipping up alot lately. Cutter and OM, I did look around for another set of jaws for that chuck but I think it came in a box of stuff I got from someone and I think it only had the one set of jaws as I don't have any un-accounted for jaws anywhere. Sorry I forgot to get back to you.

Cutter got to say the "chucks in the mail", maybe OM can say "the chuck stops here"
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

It is a little early but I think it has found a home and will be very well cared for. Right now it is smarter than me.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Working on a lathe sure does get oily. I am using cotton gloves and the wife is washing 6 pr. at a time.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Working on a lathe sure does get oily. I am using cotton gloves and the wife is washing 6 pr. at a time.

Your tender little hands allergic to dirt??

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..