Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Blankee Master

Default Van Project

Been some tardy posting lately.

We've been off and on with this project, trying to get a day here or there to start work on this truck. As it stands now, it is painted and the sleeper is mounted and attached sealed to the cab. The inside is wide open now, much like a condo unit type sleeper.

Here is a side shot, finished in bright white urathane, painted it twice cause I did not like it the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side shot of bunk.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	13517  
Old 06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Blankee Master

Here is the rear of the unit, with the hitch mounted in the center. I framed in for the skirting. Should have the skirting in later this week. I want a 8 foot by 8 foot deck on the rear, and the hitch is recessed so when the hitch is not needed, it can be removed and then I can use the deck with a flat floor.

Used 1 1/2 square tubing 1/8 wall, a little heavy but will withstand a bump here and there. This unit has to be road ready by July 9 2006 as I want to go on holidays.,

Still need to do a graphic scheme too. Some interior work like carpeting and a bench seat needs to be installed in the sleeper, likely a DVD system too with a sound system.

I can stand up in the sleeper, gives you an idea of the height inside of this unit.
I want to install toolboxes under the sleeper section as well. I did blast and prime/paint the frame, ,mostly just for knowing that it is done and clean as you really won't be able to see the frame once everything is done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side shot rear.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	13518  
Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 AM
That HURT!

That is going to be one nice tow vehicle. I want one. What are you going on the deck and the skirts? What was it in it's previous life? Did i mention I want one?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Big Rig thats looking pretty good I like it what are your plans with the back half fifth wheel or flat bed or combination .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Looks great. I hope you got diesel power under the hood. What are you going to haul with the cabover condo ?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Blankee Master

I will be hauling my Jayco 32 footer fifth wheel, for holiday time, will build a fifth wheel flatbed maybe in a month or so, to haul my mobile unit to jobsites, this way I can get around the insurance/plates/DOt bull.

Powerstroke 7.3 with the turbo under the hood, 160 k on everything, previous life was a cubevan, where I removed the box and did a custom trlr job few months ago now.

The deck, likely checker aluminum, sides will be steel, welded all the way around, grinded/bodywork and then bright white paint.

Then this truck will be used for daily stuff that I need done around here, pickup this or that, thats why the big deck. This will be the wife's fulltime vehicle too, grocery getter. Handy with the sleeper as it has a side entrance door, handy for her to put stuff in there.

Other than putting on new shocks, this truck needed nothing else mechanically. Of course, once I get it out on the road pulling some wieght things may change for the worse.

Were halfway there right now, building it is the easy part, as I find with so many projects, it's the last 15 % that takes all the time.

I will get some pics of the unit outside today, and the interior later this afternoon and post them.

That frame job on the Frt I posted a month ago is done, truck is still here, that will turn into a resto project as well. Get a thread going in a week or so.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Blankee Master

More pics-this one outside in the sun and some inside shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TRUCK INSIDE SHOT.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	13524   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCKOUTSIDE.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	13525   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK INSIDE SHOT 2.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	13526  
Old 06-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

Someone has to ask, being that you put the sleeper on, so it might as well be me.

If that vans a rockin, do we dare come a knockin'?

Good work.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Blankee Master

Antibling- ha getting too old for that, I have a couple of Shepards that need the room while travelling.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:07 PM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

Very nice Big, but did you leave space for the twin roof air, 5000 watt amp W/6 subs, polished saddle tanks, diamond deck step rails, pull out BBQ grille, swing down 50 inch flat screen TV, 6 inch dual chrome stacks, a hundred or so LED lights and air horns off a train ?????? (perhaps I've watched a few too many episodes of "trick my truck, LOL) RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?