Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Default Small Patio Fireplace/Firebox for marketing

I had an idea in mind and decided to throw one of these together just to see if it could work.

I get these R134a tanks at work for free and can get a lot of them.

I cut the handle off and the valve. I cut an opening for the front to load the Duraflame logs or rolled newspaper logs.

Added a chimney using 2 1/4" exhaust pipe, which I think I will decrease to 1 3/4" or maybe 2" diameter.

I bent round rod into legs. This was the hardest part and took the longest. If I can design these legs with small flat bar and eliminate the complex angles I can build one of these in about 45 minutes, not including the first burn to remove old paint, and a new paint job.

We have three colleges here and students live in small apartments with small patios and decks. It just get cold enough here to need a little heat to sit outside.

I figure a Craiglist ad or a truck bed full of them and sit down by the colleges and sell them off the truck.

I also plan to build larger versions of these and some that are square and look kind of like fireplace inserts.

So, let me have it. Flame me or encourage me! I can take it. If not, I will slap H80N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace01.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	108803   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace02.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	108804   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace03.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	108805   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace04.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	108806   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace05.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	108807  

Last edited by Tally ZJ; 08-24-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

I would add a screen/expanded metal door over that opening to catch the sparks. Other than that I like the idea.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
I would add a screen/expanded metal door over that opening to catch the sparks. Other than that I like the idea.
That is why this one is a test run. I also figure I need to add a catch pan to the bottom to gather the falling ashes. I think a simple piece of thin angle should work.

Do you think it really needs a mesh cover over the opening? Will the expanded metal mesh be enough to stop sparks? I have not seen expanded metal with small enough holes to do much good.

Most of those patio heaters I see, particularly the ones with the big round open "mouth", have no screens. None of the small fire "pits" I have seen have a screen either.

I will check around and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Post Fiend

Most colleges won't let students have candles so I'm not sure well that pit will be received.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Most colleges won't let students have candles so I'm not sure well that pit will be received.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Not all students live on campus though. And, students aren't the only people that might need these. I plan to build the larger style as well including the bowl type and a ring type.

I just thought these were cheap enough to build that I could get maybe $25.00 each if loaded on a trailer full of other stoves and fire pits. Always someone that wants cheap stuff.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smawgmaw View Post
Nice idea and I like it. I think its neat.

I hate to be a spoiler but I have just one question and its a big one you really need to consider.

Do you have liability insurance and enough of it?
No insurance. And, this is not meant as a smart ass remark, but I don't feel I need anymore insurance to sell these than the guy on the corner selling fruit and nuts. Does he need insurance against someone choking on a pecan or breaks a tooth on the peach pit? He sold them the peaches or watermelons. Should he be liable?.

I guess my point is you can't insure against every stupid thing people do. If they buy something and use it as it is not intended then the fault is with them.

Would you sell me a used welder if you had no liability insurance? What if I burned my house down with it?

At any rate, there will be no receipts on these. Cash sales only. No newspaper ads.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM

The way you have the opening why a pipe, if you cut half of an end off and put the pipe to the back it would probably work, I personally would not put holes on the bottom, even with a catch pan if the wind blows and there are embers in the pan whats to stop them from blowing around. JMPO
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Auction Addict

I would not put holes in the bottom. Too much of a fire hazard. I would add a piece of expanded metal sitting on 4 short pieces of 3/4" angle welded to the insides of the tank down below the door opening. What type of paint are you using?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
My comments werent made to be smart ass either. Just a friendly comment to let you aware of what can happen. Do you have a personal attorney on retainer and how good is he/she? Your choice if you want to listen or not.
I cannot afford an attorney or one on a retainer. I am poor folk trying to feed myself mostly.

Quote:
You do not need to be at fault for someone to bring a suit against you to the point of losing everything plus your ass just trying to defend against such a suit even if you win. Attorney fees and court costs are not free or cheap. Remember, these days especially when people are wanting a free ride and not wanting to work for funds. They are tending to sue for anything and everything and live off someone else's nickle.
I agree and I do definitely know this. But, even at my real job I can be held personally responsible and even sued even though I work fora corporate owned business . That doesn't stop me from working though. I have to work. I have no choice.

Quote:
Or, a couple other things. Are you required to have a business license to be manufacturing/selling any products in your area?
I am not certain on that. I believe, and this is only my belief, that as long as I am not mass manufacturing a product and marketing it retail I am not required to have a license. This is more like selling art work, not a product. I doubt I will be selling many of these things, and other stuff, anyway. I am sure there are laws and regs that I will definitely check into.

Quote:
And if you are selling them, even for cash, are you supposed to be reporting income and collecting/forwarding taxes on those sold to the correct agencies?
Definitely have to report income to the feds. No state taxes here though. County taxes, yes.

Quote:
What if you piss someone off or they just don't like you; and they decide to report your ass to the right/wrong people? What you gonna do then? Some things to really think hard about before you start out.
But that could happen whether I sold anything or not. But, I agree and will include this in my plans.

Quote:
Do what you want and good luck. Hope it works out for you and no harm comes your way.
Just trying live and get into a better situation. I appreciate your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I would not put holes in the bottom. Too much of a fire hazard. I would add a piece of expanded metal sitting on 4 short pieces of 3/4" angle welded to the insides of the tank down below the door opening. What type of paint are you using?
Good idea. On the paint, I am using Krylon Stove and Grill paint 1200 degree rating at short intervals.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Call them "Patio Planters" what the buyer actually does with them isn't your fault......Even if they resemble a BBQ pit.

It's a damn shame those contingencies need consideration for something to save others money while trying to make a buck...

A good source for similar wire is a florist or cemetery ...They use lots of A-frame wire stands for floral displays and usually throw the things away....cemetery maintenance crews usually pile them up trash them.

Is that a piece of exhaust pipe for the stack ? auto junk yard scrap.