Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-26-2022, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default VFD drive bad?

Yesterday the Allen Bradley VFD drive started flashing 5 shortly after I used the drill press it is mounted on. The press worked fine while I needed it, but I noticed the display flashing and had to see what it was about. Nothing would work at that point, and couldn’t reset anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	163384
Model number is CAT 22FV6 PON103

I decided to go home and deal with it in morning.

It was still flashing 5 in the morning. I unplugged it, (it is always powered up, the only way to kill power to it is by unplugging the 120 plug. It converts the 120v single phase to 240 three phase to power the 1.5 hp motor.

The drill press is a Dake SB-25. Manufactured in 2015.

When I plugged it back in couple minutes later, all the leds, and display started flashing. Actually the display flashed backwards 6666. And nothing works.

If the 5 was an error code, that designate an Overvoltage fault, according to the side sticker. But it did not have E5, just 5 flashing yesterday.

Several times today, we plugged it back in and always the same now, all the lights flashing.

Anyone have any ideas? I have downloaded some PDFs manuals for the drive and will go thru them tonight, but this is first problem we’ve had with this machine.

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	163385

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	163386

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	163387

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	163388

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-26-2022, 07:41 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

That is a fatal issue with a unit that old, that is just me though. Looks like a 2008 year model so it has run its course. O5 is a buss over voltage. It may have a control circuit issue allowing the dc buss voltage to go high.

If you smell it and it has that acrid smoke smell it is for sure ready for the pile.

That is a dixie cup sized drive now days.

Scott
Old 01-26-2022, 07:56 PM
Master Procrastinator

Brian, you can try threatening it with a BMFH.......
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion. --St. Mother Teresa
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
That is a fatal issue with a unit that old, that is just me though. Looks like a 2008 year model so it has run its course. O5 is a buss over voltage. It may have a control circuit issue allowing the dc buss voltage to go high.

If you smell it and it has that acrid smoke smell it is for sure ready for the pile.

That is a dixie cup sized drive now days.

Scott

Do you mean year 2008 design? I think the manufacture date is 2015, May 08.

The drill press date is 2015. I guess they could have used 7 year old Drive on it. The Drive came new with the drill press.

We could just hook the drill press up to Three phase power in the shop, but I would really miss the variable speed control. I’ve gotten spoiled with not having to change belts.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:56 AM
Something's Fishy ...

If you have a phat wallet you should be able to get a brand name VFD almost anywhere from a electrical supplier like Eaton or Allan Bradly.

If you just want a working drive the clones are all over amazon at about 25% of the cost.

I use a VFD in my wood heat system to extract the most useful heat from the furnace.
The original high dollar brand name unit crapped at about 15 years old.
I got an on line amazon unit rated for double the KW for under $100 CDN delivered. About 15% of my original cost.

The manual was skimpy but once you got past the first hurdle and got it to respond it became easy o program,

Just go through the table and make a list of the location number and the desired setting.
unless you are doing something exotic there will only be a few like 5 or so changes needed.
Things like how it starts on power up where the speed setting comes from front dial ,remote dial; 0-20 MA 0-10 volts or other custom signals.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
If you have a phat wallet you should be able to get a brand name VFD almost anywhere from a electrical supplier like Eaton or Allan Bradly.

If you just want a working drive the clones are all over amazon at about 25% of the cost.

I use a VFD in my wood heat system to extract the most useful heat from the furnace.
The original high dollar brand name unit crapped at about 15 years old.
I got an on line amazon unit rated for double the KW for under $100 CDN delivered. About 15% of my original cost.

The manual was skimpy but once you got past the first hurdle and got it to respond it became easy o program,

Just go through the table and make a list of the location number and the desired setting.
unless you are doing something exotic there will only be a few like 5 or so changes needed.
Things like how it starts on power up where the speed setting comes from front dial ,remote dial; 0-20 MA 0-10 volts or other custom signals.

As far as the Phat wallet, I’m not sure. But it seems like we’ve been bleeding money lately. New lathe (24” swing x 120” bed) last November.

Just ordered in about 6 months of inventory chrome rod, because we have been starting to have problems with getting it a bar at a time when needed, and the damages from truck shipping. Damaged packaging is getting real bad these days.

Last week the main welder started acting up, so we have a new Lincoln 350 MP here now.

Now the drill press.

Now if we can only get our wages to go up a bit to keep up with inflation.