Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I knew I'd saved this for someone...... If not myself...

http://kensiron.com/quick_tongs.html

$10 is hard to beat (no pun intended)
Those are nice! But, the $17.35 shipping killed it for me
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally ZJ View Post
Can you elaborate a little more?
Yes.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Post Fiend

There is a lot lot of ways to make it but I usually take use the least amount of BS approach. Youtube is chock full of methods.

Fill a metal container with wood scraps, invert it into another metal container with enough room to allow you to build and maintain a fire.

When you invert the first container it restricts the amount of oxygen the wood/lump can consume so it just smolders and eventually burns off everything that isn't carbon. The process also outgases all the volatile's which really helps to produce some BTU's. As the fire progresses ash builds up and completely seals the gap between the two containers which is important, if it gets oxygen the lump WILL BURN. I let mine sit for 24 hours after firing to cool down.

You can do this with a paint can and a metal bucket, a thirty gallon drum and 55 gallon drum, or like I do, a 55 gal drum and an old 300 gal fuel tank.

One firing will produce 25-30 gal of lump from 55 gal of wood. And from that 30 gal of lump I'll produce a LOT of BBQ. It's enough lump to BBQ regularly for about a year for us.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

What is the deal with actual burn time for the forge? Does lump charcoal always burn fast like mine did? What about compared to coal?

I would like to load the forge up with something and get two or three hours of heat without adding another $7.00 bag of lump hardwood charcoal.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Coming into this late but you have a nice starter forge going there, you will soon be wanting something jest a little bit bigger to play with.
As for the use of charcoal it was the only fuel for a blacksmith for the first 1500 or2000 years and is still used in a large part of the world today, coal has came late as it were
If you check the web under Blacksmithing or Blacksmithing clubs you will find that your state will have some type of club/group and most will have meetings (hammer inns)though out the year.
This will be a great way to meet other smiths and pick up tools ,where they get coal,who is teaching or holding a open shop day . You will find that smiths are like this group ,they are happy to help where/when they can,Blacksmithing has been called a lost art by some that jest didn't take the time to look around.
Best of luck with your new forge and welcome to the world of hot steel and Blacksmithing.
Joe
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Gold Star Dad

I've hand pumped the air for a charcoal forge and it doesn't take all that much. It takes a little time for the heat to soak into the metal. You don't need it at welding heat.

Here's a handle I did years ago in a coal forge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spoon  handle USMCPOP.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	109567  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
I've hand pumped the air for a charcoal forge and it doesn't take all that much. It takes a little time for the heat to soak into the metal. You don't need it at welding heat.

Here's a handle I did years ago in a coal forge.
Ohh, that is beautiful Pop!

What do you mean "you don't need it at welding heat"? You don't need the air? How do you reach welding heat?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsmith View Post
If you check the web under Blacksmithing or Blacksmithing clubs you will find that your state will have some type of club/group and most will have meetings (hammer inns)though out the year.
This will be a great way to meet other smiths and pick up tools ,where they get coal,who is teaching or holding a open shop day .
Joe

Actually have one very near me and there is another event in October. I think I will attend this one. Its actually a "Pioneer Days" festival but includes smithing.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally ZJ View Post
What is the deal with actual burn time for the forge? Does lump charcoal always burn fast like mine did? What about compared to coal?

I would like to load the forge up with something and get two or three hours of heat without adding another $7.00 bag of lump hardwood charcoal.
Tally as Gerry mentioned I think you are using too much air. A bounce house fan has enough CFM to run about 5 forges. Try using some cardboard and covering about 7/8 of your fan intake screen and see if that doesn't help. Just run your fan while you are heating steel.

The lump I have been making would be hot enough to form steel without a fan........

Sent from my ipotato
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Gold Star Dad

Tally, what I mean is that to do some forging, especially for small stuff, you don't need the heat in the forge to be hot enough to nearly melt things. In addition, if you put too much Oxygen in there, it will burn stuff. In the forging class I had, one of the guys was a little cocky and didn't pay attention. He heated too long with too much air and flapped his mouth. Pulled his project out of the fire and it looked like a sparkler, all burned up. LOL.