Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Elite Member

Default Using power steering pump to power a lift??

Can anyone tell me what the possibility of using a power steering pump (off a 1985 full size Chevy Blazer) is to power a general kind of lift for garage use. I would build it basically so it would look like a cherry picker. I know I could probably buy a new engine lift for less than I could probably build this thing for, but then I would not get the enjoyment/frustration associated with making it myself.

I will be using a 30' long single acting cylinder that is 4" in diameter. I would like to mount the power steering pump either direct or by way of a belt to a 110v or 220V electric motor. If this kind of contraption is feasable I would need to know what size and RPM of motor to use. I figure I will need to utilize one way and flow control valves, but would also need to know what size of hydraulic hose to use. Farm & Fleet has a good assortment of hydraulic hose in the 3/8" size at reasonable prices. I also have a couple of old spare Western Plow 12V pump motors if that would work better with the power steering pump. Also, I have an approximate 2 gallon tank I can use for the fluid reservoir. And now thinking about the fluid reservoir, what type of fluid would I use that would work for both the pump and cylinder? I don't envision using this thing for anything beyond 600-800 pounds. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated........thanks,
Old 04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Lord of the Minions

Hmmmm, over the last few years I have read, on a few other sites, the use of pwr str units for cyl assit pumps. But have no immediate recollection of what they were actually used for or what application of use.

I don't remember a thread here mentioning the use of pwr str pumps, but a search should be done here at SFT just the same. May turn up something.

The www. should turn up uses and at least yea's and nay's of doing so.

Wish I could have been more help.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Blast this!

Hope that was 30 inches not 30 feet .Power stearing pumps I have seen on 3 point lifts ,H frame presses ect. Presure ok most 15-1800 .Have seen driven with 1700 or 3400 motor as little as 1/2 horse big as 3 horse.Had a friend that was to cheap to buy/steal pumps from work so powered his shop with power steering pumps.Biggest problem is gallon per minute.It will be slow.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:12 PM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

Pat, I don't want to stifle your creativity or ruin some quality shop time, but it's been my experience that P/S pumps are only good for one thing, period.
However, TSC sells a real nice air/hyd cherry picker and both the power unit and the cylinder are availible as replacement parts, pretty reasonably priced and 8 ton rated. I use them on the service stands for the funny car, I bought 2 for way less than half of what "pro jacks" wanted for one of thier pump/tank units. (a single "pro jack" stand/lift, with power unit, lists for around $1300.00) Other than up grading the hyd. connectors, they have been trouble free and don't leak oil all over the trailer if I remember to screw the little caps back on before stowing for the road. (yep, BTDT) RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Pump

I have a power steering pump on my shop press and works pretty good. It replaces a hyd pump that came from a combine and wore out. This pump is slower but the pressure is about the same. I have it on a 2 HP electric motor, belted to slow it down to around 500 to 600 RPM. The press has a 6 inch dia cyl so it has a lot of push.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 PM

I have been wanting to build a hydraulic press and it seems like there is a lot to know about size of pumps, resevors, volume etc, but a power steering pump seems so simple? Does it have alot of pressure for a press! Excuse my lame joke I am laughing at my own dumb humor, but serious does it have power?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Exclamation Jacks

Buy a 30 ton jack from HF and be money ahead . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Published Author

go for the older 1970s gmc style pump, we have used them lots for pumps on engine lifts and such. not sure of the new style stuff because i'm the KING OF OBSOLETE, LOL

also you can use the ones off a semi, but you have to pop out the ball value that controls the pressure thing. some of the semi ones have the oil tank separate which makes for easier installation of a big tank.

thansk
card carrying member of the Writer's Guild
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

A power steering pump is a little weak in the flow department for general hydraulic work. Here is the specs for Dodge Ram pumps.http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/00_steer_specs.html Some of those old GM pumps supposedly ran around 1000 to 1200 PSI. Then again, I wouldn't worry too much about your lift running a little slow as long as your arm doesn't have to go up and down all the time.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Voice of Experience

AxP=F

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..