Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

Now all you need is a 800 pound guy to operate it.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
Only 400 if you hang him off a 4' pipe!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
700/4=175. I am good, and some to spare.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-07-2019, 11:55 AM
SFT Historian

maybe its me but 3/4" drive sounds a bit weak for 700 ft-lbs.

The guy at sears was somewhat raddled when I had him replace a 3/4" ratchet at $75 each for free.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
maybe its me but 3/4" drive sounds a bit weak for 700 ft-lbs.

The guy at sears was somewhat raddled when I had him replace a 3/4" ratchet at $75 each for free.
I doubt I will ever run it up that high but I own a few things that fall
between the 250-400 range, and until this purchase my biggest
wrench only ran up to 250. So 3/4" should be just fine, also this
think is 4 feet long. So as I am getting older that makes life a little
easier.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I doubt I will ever run it up that high but I own a few things that fall between the 250-400 range, and until this purchase my biggest wrench only ran up to 250. So 3/4" should be just fine
Yeah, there are definitely applications that go beyond the capacity of a 1/2" drive wrench but don't need anywhere near 600-700 ft. pounds. Some 3/4" studs and most that are over that go beyond 250 ft. lbs.--the kind of stuff you find on larger tractors and mid-range trucks. And a torque wrench that is used in the lower or mid range of its capacity is generally more accurate than one that is maxed out...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Not sure where the Neiko tools are made. but, I am, considering buying their 20v Lih 1/2" drive impact... Because it's in my price range and includes the battery and charger... where others are just the body and no battery or charger all is a separate purchase...

So just wondering since they make a fairly decent torque wrench maybe they make a fair cordless tool...?? To be used for most light to medium work.

Note: Should have added that I will not be using it for wheel lugs just for hydraulic pumps and similar things where I don't want to mess with air hoses and where a 3/8" cordless will not break loose the nut or bolt but the 1/2" will. I situations where it will usually be just 4 to 8 bolts and it will likely only see medium duty work at best.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 05-07-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: just to add a little more usage info!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
no bull it's huge!

Having the right tool for the job makes life so much nicer. Ron, yours was a lot cheaper the the MAC tools one I just bought. I have to be able to get mine recertified.
I keep torque wrenches from 5 inch pounds all the way up to my 3/4 drive at 600 Ft Lbs. Now our combine wheels are torqued to 1000 Ft Lbs so the shop has a 1 inch drive that goes up to 1200 Ft Lbs. I am really getting to be a fan of the torque + turn method, while it may be a pain in the ass it does seem to be a lot more accurate. I have a Brownline digital angle gauge that has a magnetic back to place on your ratchet/ breaker bar. You set the degrees and once you reach it the lights turn from yellow to green and it beeps.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Not sure where the Neiko tools are made. but, I am, considering buying their 20v Lih 1/2" drive impact... Because it's in my price range and includes the battery and charger... where others are just the body and no battery or charger all is a separate purchase...

So just wondering since they make a fairly decent torque wrench maybe they make a fair cordless tool...?? To be used for most light to medium work.

Note: Should have added that I will not be using it for wheel lugs just for hydraulic pumps and similar things where I don't want to mess with air hoses and where a 3/8" cordless will not break loose the nut or bolt but the 1/2" will. I situations where it will usually be just 4 to 8 bolts and it will likely only see medium duty work at best.
https://www.reference.com/home-garde...7eca2371b4a409

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
Having the right tool for the job makes life so much nicer. Ron, yours was a lot cheaper the the MAC tools one I just bought. I have to be able to get mine recertified.
I keep torque wrenches from 5 inch pounds all the way up to my 3/4 drive at 600 Ft Lbs. Now our combine wheels are torqued to 1000 Ft Lbs so the shop has a 1 inch drive that goes up to 1200 Ft Lbs. I am really getting to be a fan of the torque + turn method, while it may be a pain in the ass it does seem to be a lot more accurate. I have a Brownline digital angle gauge that has a magnetic back to place on your ratchet/ breaker bar. You set the degrees and once you reach it the lights turn from yellow to green and it beeps.
I always used to joke about the torque/angle method saying they didn’t want to buy a real torque wrench. I’m a fan now after 30 or so ISX overhauls. Torque by hand to a light value then break out the impact for the final 90 or 180 degrees.