Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I bought 5 of each and I'm hoping they will store well as I will prolly only be using them one at a time till one goes bad... Just so that I have a backup...
If that's a genuine Mitutoyo you'll only need one. If it's counterfeit you may need them all. Personally I doubt that's a genuine Mit--they just don't let their tools go for cheap and 21 bucks is nowhere near the retail price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
...Seriously, who around here is building "Space Shuttle" parts...
Nobody, I suppose, but it's always good to have measuring equipment that is better than the average tolerance that you want to hold. Besides, dial test indicators are normally only used for reading "relative" motion, not absolute dimensions...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:00 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
If that's a genuine Mitutoyo you'll only need one. If it's counterfeit you may need them all. Personally I doubt that's a genuine Mit--they just don't let their tools go for cheap and 21 bucks is nowhere near the retail price...
I have a couple of bootleg mitsies I bought off eBay and the person selling them as real mit's was booted off for it I guess lots of people bought them as well and someone complained and I had no idea at first because I had not received mine just yet were still i transit when eBay notified me of the situation
they are rough at best you can feel the roughness of them and the body is slightly more rounded ut these I checked each one and I am very surprised how smooth they are and sensitive as well...
I bought these after the two machine shops both specialty machine shops I had told them about them and the source had bought them both said they are real... I just got them in so I'm going to run them by one of the shops and confirm but I'm sure it is real.

But I can not guarantee anyone who buys them will get the same results because there are so many sellers offering them on "wish" and I just picked one and ordered five then picked the other ad that looked more reasonably wrote by that I mean viewed the descriptions section and picked the one that sounded more informational than short or none to speak of...

I did, however, say in the original post to be careful and look at them well though. "the ads"
Don't just buy the first one that seems cheap or cheaper than all the rest of the cheaply priced ones...

Anyrate you would be surprised what manufacturers will do they may have overstock and may have sold a tone of overstock to someone who is selling them cheap as they are coming from overseas so it could be a win for some and a loose purchase for others...

And for the price Hell, ya really can't lose unless it's a total POS you receive.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default The way I understand it

They way I understand it.
As I have mentioned to another SFT member I have a machinist friend in Japan
Who I met many years ago in the world of Zoological animals.

He told me that the "Mituloyo"/"Mitulolyo" ?? spelling... named indicators is a Mitutoyo Sold under the name of Mutoloyo?? and is the generic/economy line version. but is a good Indicator just not to the top of the line.

Then you have no name knock-offs' The china made "Michohogo"

Then you have the bootleg POS under the name of the one in this pic look close as you can see how badly it is made.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1804.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	150534

Then you have the "Mitutoyo" pic to compare it to.

Name:	DSCF1803.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	150533

Now, FWIW. this is just the way it was explained to me by several other machinists, it all makes total sense to me.
But it would not be the first time Someone has misinformed me on one thing or another.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM
SFT Historian

Look for a "genuine" Mitutoyo using the same model number 513-404 and you will not find one that looks like the low cost one purchased. also the plastic case is not quite the same.

Front dovetail is not the same, Mitutoyo has a screw thru the front dovetail, just about all their offset indicators have that screw.. I think it is a stop screw for the finger.

I don't recall Mit using foam in the indicator cases, or pinned hinges.

for what offset indicators are used for, a Chinese knock off should work just fine but likely not for the inspection room.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Look for a "genuine" Mitutoyo using the same model number 513-404 and you will not find one that looks like the low cost one purchased. also the plastic case is not quite the same.

Front dovetail is not the same, Mitutoyo has a screw thru the front dovetail, just about all their offset indicators have that screw.. I think it is a stop screw for the finger.

I don't recall Mit using foam in the indicator cases, or pinned hinges.

for what offset indicators are used for, a Chinese knock off should work just fine but likely not for the inspection room.
You are probably right but they do have these on their site look the same but the stop screw is in the back on this one not the front like on the Mitutoyo sight
they have a video the higher end Mitutoyo has a yellow and white dial low cost seen to be all yellow and not followed by the t10 number...

If need be ill send one to Mitutoyo USA and get their opinion. but will drop them an email first

But that is just what I can tell from their sight.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Lubrication Consultant

The Vernier calipers came in today and they are bogus BS completely
Opposite of what they were supposed to be "Mitutoyo" and total junk
So Getting a bit of a sore ass at the moment... I personally would not give 10 bucks for one of these but I will get my money back with no problem.
Sad to say I have Harbor freight Vernier calipers far better than this garbage
I guess you can not take even take the word of people you think you know nowadays... This sucks! So now I for sure am questioning the Indicators I got.

Name:	DSCF1811.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	150535Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1814.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	150536

Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

One of the reasons that I questioned the authenticity of the DTI was that back in the late 90s I had a friend/acquaintance who worked for Mitutoyo as a sales rep in our area. We had more than one conversation about counterfeit tools and he was always adamant that if you found a tool that was priced too good to be true it was almost certain to be a fake.

Mitutoyo was, and still is, the world leader in the manufacture of precision measuring equipment and they were very protective of their brand and its image. My friend maintained that they never sold overstock or "seconds" (if there even was such a thing in their world) at discounted prices. If a tool didn't meet spec it was destroyed and good tools just never got sold for cheap.

Even back then he admitted that there were some very good copies out there but the give away was usually that they were sold for much less than a genuine tool. He always thought that if the counterfeiters had sold their products for higher prices they would have been harder to detect. I haven't had contact with him for years but unless Mitutoyo has drastically changed their policies I would highly doubt that a 21 dollar DTI is genuine...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-27-2019, 04:38 PM
The Real Deal

1 Digital

2 Dial

3 Vernier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	150537   Click image for larger version

Name:	dial.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	150538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vernier.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	150539  
Old 04-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
1 Digital

2 Dial

3 Vernier
HOORAY!! I do hate to see that word "Vernier" used for something that hasn't had a vernier on it. The only exception would be if the Frenchman , Mr Vernier owned it. :-)
...lew...
Old 04-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
1 Digital

2 Dial

3 Vernier
Thank you.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951