Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Left over hardened parts for other jobs

Ok, I have a few hardened shafts some solid some hollow form different repair projects.

now my question is. Are they useful for anything some of the shafts are hollow about 1/3 of the shaft some hollow all the way through some solid and tapped on one end. but, most have splines and a few with worn splines...

Most of which came from the hydraulic pumps and spindles from commercial zero turn mowers and other types of equipment.

Would you hang on to any of this stuff or would you just scrap it...
I look at them and think they could be turned in to something useful for the milling machine, surface grinder, and lathe but not an exact use in mind just yet

Are there any ideas do I keep saving or send them to the trash scrap pile to go to salvage later next week.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM
The Real Deal

Default w

I keep them, some splined shafts are only hardened on the spline, a center punch is what I use, usually if I can put a punch mark in it then I can turn it or put it in the saw, but I have ruined saw blades because I was to lazy to check first. I have used brake cams from large trucks with no problem, but always use the punch. You can always anneal if its worth the time.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I keep them, some splined shafts are only hardened on the spline, a center punch is what I use, usually if I can put a punch mark in it then I can turn it or put it in the saw, but I have ruined saw blades because I was to lazy to check first. I have used brake cams from large trucks with no problem, but always use the punch. You can always anneal if its worth the time.
I was thinking of making a tapping tool out of one of the hollow ones but I would need to make an M@ taper and well I just can't get it right so looks to me I might just have to buy one from India. but I'll keep some of them and the worst ones I'll just toss in the scrap bin
and keep the punch thing in mind while I'm going through the toss-em-er keep-em's.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Another way to test for hardness--probably better in my view--is to take a file to a piece. You can get a good idea of how hard something this by how it files...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Another way to test for hardness--probably better in my view--is to take a file to a piece. You can get a good idea of how hard something this by how it files...
I Could probably use the Fowler HRC files too...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Grumpy Bastard

You can just cut them up with an abrasive saw and
use the pieces for shrapnel in IEDs... Just sayin'

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
You can just cut them up with an abrasive saw and
use the pieces for shrapnel in IEDs... Just sayin'
I don't think my brain works that way and I would surely be the one wearing it... embedded deep in my own ass, I'm sure.
I'm smart enough to leave some things alone.
mama taught me to never play with matches they sting like a beez.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I have ruined saw blades because I was to lazy to check first.
and cutters.... reminds me of the D2 I'm using in the shop at present. Oops forgot to change the bandsaw blade out before cutting into this 6 inch solid. Doh! Another blade into the scrap bin. Even the so called cobalt blade doesn't last that long.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Blast this!

Must already be hardened .I never had any trouble with D2 in normal state .Try ceramic or diamond if hard .
Old 04-28-2019, 08:36 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I'm prolly going to just take all the stuff to salvage because it seems more trouble than its worth. I found a guy not too far from me who is always building stuff and has lots of bent cylinder rams and heavy thick plate some fairly large 3/4'' to 2" thick no aluminum or brass but also have a lot of chrome molly tubing laying around from when he was building water buffalos and dune buggy's told me I could buy it all at scrap price if I want it before he decides to scrap it himself but also said that won't be any time soon so I have all the time I need to get what I want out of it but for now if I need anything I can call him and go pick up a few pieces when I need them...

So it sort of makes hanging on to all these old shaft parts sort of silly I would think.

Plus I really want to downsize and not be doing so much of everything this multi-task-working is taking too much of a toll on me and my body these days