Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
they get for this thing online and typed it in several places came up and well I'll be, the Mfg sells the dam thing for 23.00 and 12 .00 shipping to my door and only took 2 days to get here a week before I'd need it again...

So it does pay to shop around and shop around online
The trend is for all retail to switch to online. Then when prices go up, well where ya gonna go?
I shop online all the time but I am never in a panic to have it now. When and if I need it now I shop NAPA. Because I don't want my local sellers to disappear. When they give me a price, like yesterday for a TBS, they asked do I want generic or name brand, and then gave prices for both.
When I want to save money it is Rockauto that gets my money.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Don't get me started on the local resellers that want me now to serve myself, check myself out,

I was in Walmart the other night (first time in forever) and they replaced the entire "fast line" section with self checkout terminals. Now their staff stand around and watch people check themselves out. I refuse to use the stupid things on principle.

To make it worse - they had a second person grilling everyone at the exit to show their receipt and prove that they paid for all the damn parts in the cart.

If you are too bloody cheap to employ someone to run a cash register, then you're not entitled to get in my the way on the way out the door trying to audit my honesty.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The trend is for all retail to switch to online. Then when prices go up, well where ya gonna go?
I shop online all the time but I am never in a panic to have it now. When and if I need it now I shop NAPA. Because I don't want my local sellers to disappear. When they give me a price, like yesterday for a TBS, they asked do I want generic or name brand, and then gave prices for both.
Gerry, RockAuto get most of my money I'd say around 85% the rest goes to local business and I have commercial accounts with them but when the local wants to sell me a 50 dollar part for 200 I go to the rock. but also helps to know what will cross with what aswell went to order a headlight for my HD Sportster...

Called up the local Orileys and AZ both gave me a price for 96 bucks for a bulb... So I asked them what the number was...The counter help gave me the number so I walked over to the bulbs pulled the bulb off the rack for a Jeep grand cherokee 98 models... took it to him and said look here it's the same bulb you tried to sell me for 96 bucks for the same number but cost 8.99
both are Sylvania... point being a guy or customer can get screwed by counter help because they are (A) Lazy (B) and dumb as a rock or the combination of both. but dam good at video games I'm sure...

So I spend where it will best benefits the customer and my self...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
Don't get me started on the local resellers that want me now to serve myself, check myself out,

I was in Walmart the other night (first time in forever) and they replaced the entire "fast line" section with self checkout terminals. Now their staff stand around and watch people check themselves out. I refuse to use the stupid things on principle.

To make it worse - they had a second person grilling everyone at the exit to show their receipt and prove that they paid for all the damn parts in the cart.

If you are too bloody cheap to employ someone to run a cash register, then you're not entitled to get in my the way on the way out the door trying to audit my honesty.
We have the same thing here at the local Wallyworld... what gets me is there are two to three people there looking over your shoulder to make sure you run everything through the self-check scanner WTF!

I mean if they can employ three people to just stand there and look at people as if everyone in the self check-outs is dishonest... then why the hell have them there... they are three able-bodied people who can run a check out instead of paying them to stand there and not do jack shit...

So that is where I just think doing online business is at times more convenient and less BS to deal with like arrogant employees and customers so dumb they can't scan an item and cause a shut down of the line in order to get one of the employed stands around to come and police the sale not that hes or she is more than three feet away from you shoulder anyway to make sure the .19 cent pack of kool-aid or the pack of blunt makings got scanned...

Yeah sometimes shouldn't get me started

Old 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Gerry, RockAuto get most of my money I'd say around 85% the rest goes to local business and I have commercial accounts with them but when the local wants to sell me a 50 dollar part for 200 I go to the rock. but also helps to know what will cross with what aswell went to order a headlight for my HD Sportster...
RockAuto is also getting a fair amount of my money. Generally they will
mark items as US made or not. Second, my bearings for the 11 Ford
Explorer at O'Reilly's are $212 each, house brand 3 year warrantee, they
don't stock the cheaper ones. Timken's version from RockAuto were $97
each also 3 year warrantee...

The Timkens are on the bench waiting for me to have some time.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
RockAuto is also getting a fair amount of my money. Generally they will
mark items as US made or not. Second, my bearings for the 11 Ford
Explorer at O'Reilly's are $212 each, house brand 3 year warrantee, they
don't stock the cheaper ones. Timken's version from RockAuto were $97
each also 3 year warrantee...

The Timkens are on the bench waiting for me to have some time.
Ron, Timkens been around a good while and are a trusted brand by most of the masses. Unless you are building an off-road build or pro-streetcar or something of that nature IMO they were the better choice than the unknown of house brands.

National, as well as a trusted brand for bearings... So either way, National or Timkens you won't go wrong.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
That's the problem with shopping online; you make it tough for local sellers to stay in business. It's a vicious circle.

Where we are there are still numerous auto parts and industrial suppliers. When it comes to auto parts all the stores I visit have multiple levels of quality. You can buy import or you can buy "better" stuff. I'm sure some of the better stuff is import as well but I can't say that I've had much of problem--not that I buy a lot now anyway. I never buy stuff online...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
That's the problem with shopping online; you make it tough for local sellers to stay in business. It's a vicious circle.

Where we are there are still numerous auto parts and industrial suppliers. When it comes to auto parts all the stores I visit have multiple levels of quality. You can buy import or you can buy "better" stuff. I'm sure some of the better stuff is import as well but I can't say that I've had much of problem--not that I buy a lot now anyway. I never buy stuff online...
When I don't shop local, I tell them why....because you charge $160 for a roll of welding wire and $96 for an oxy bottle. Every time I walk out without buying I tell them it's because you are 4 times more expensive, etc.
I have had the Napa account for almost 20 years, and used to average 200 a week and now it is only 200 a month. They say there is nothing they can do about prices, they are set in Toronto.....too bad.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
When I don't shop local, I tell them why....because you charge $160 for a roll of welding wire and $96 for an oxy bottle. Every time I walk out without buying I tell them it's because you are 4 times more expensive, etc.
I have had the Napa account for almost 20 years, and used to average 200 a week and now it is only 200 a month. They say there is nothing they can do about prices, they are set in Toronto.....too bad.

Gerry, I think they want people to believe that the prices are so set that when I start to walk out there is a bit of a pause and quick mentality change with the response of "wait for a minute", "we can match prices" and have also had them match online prices as well... Not Napa though I refuse to do any business with them for many reasons! so I can't say they work with anyone I know of.

I'm not paying a redundant price and supporting local rip-offs because they want to pay their light bill with one sale.... sometimes they will try to charge me the counter price on my "jobber account"
an that really pisses me off... not to mention their prices are sometimes higher than the dealership for a shitty china mfg. part.

So when they say it set at the corporate office on pricing They are blowing smoke up the wrong customer's ass for sure...

It may work that way in Canada but I would have a hard time imagining it being that different from here...