Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Below Wholesale

Default making a exact mirror image of a part.

not a metal question but figured someone here might have a couple ideas. I have a fiberglass fender flair (just one) that are no longer available. I want to make a mirror image of this flair for the other side of the truck. I am familiar with working with fiberglass and can make molds etc. I just dont know how to make a mirror image of a part (accurately)
Old 07-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

The way I've seen it done takes a stack of single ply cardboard, a wood block larger all the way around that the part you want to build and a lot of time. You start at one end cutting the cardboard to fit at different spots and then flipping it so you have the same contour facing the way you need to go. Eastwood sells a contour tool that is a frame holding a row of stacked rods, you push it into the part you want to copy and the rods slide through the holder. If you do it right the rods will conform to the shape you are trying to duplicate. Then, with either the cardboard or contour tool, you transfer the shape to the block. As you get the shape drawn out on the block, you cut away the excess until you have your form. Once you have it cut out you sand it smooth.Usually you end up doing some bondo work on the buck to get it perfect. Then you coat it with mold release and cover it with resin and cloth and when that is dry you pull off your mold. Then you can build up your final part. There are machines out there that use a pointer to trace out the existing part and make a CAD drawing, I'm sure if you can find someone to do it they can flip your flair in the program and then they can make the buck with a CNC mill. I, myself, have no idea where you could go to have that done. Or how much it would cost.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

I met a guy that went to an english wheel weekend. They were making bowls, looked like a baby moon hubcap. Made one, used fiberglass reinforced tape to cover the outside of the part, with different angles of application of the tape layers. Peeled it off and flipped it inside out for a mold, or sample pattern. This may not work for your fiberglass molding but it may let you check it when you get your part close to make the glass mold out of.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts
I met a guy that went to an english wheel weekend. They were making bowls, looked like a baby moon hubcap. Made one, used fiberglass reinforced tape to cover the outside of the part, with different angles of application of the tape layers. Peeled it off and flipped it inside out for a mold, or sample pattern. This may not work for your fiberglass molding but it may let you check it when you get your part close to make the glass mold out of.
hmmm that concept might work for some other stuff....Dont know about this. I need a L and R

my idea so far is to make a exact mold of what I have. make a copy, then cut it up and try to repostion it to make the other side. dosent have to be real pretty just good enough to make another mold out of it....working with a positive is much easier than a negative IMO
Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Bit Off Center

This is kinda off the wall, but couldn't you hot glue the one side to a piece of plywood with the top curve cut in it and then stand it up.Stick some blue foam on the other side and shape the flare to match? You could guage your progress at any point on the curve by eye or by measuring. When you get the foam shaped, you could skin a coat of plaster, bondo, or something like that, spray with wd-40 or mold release and lay up the mold.

Little

often wrong - seldom uncertain