Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Below Wholesale

Default Bolt bin organization?

My bolts have always been roughly separated by size in a few 5 gallon buckets. Its been the "dig-a-bolt" not a "pick-a-bolt" Not fun at all.

I finally ponied up a few bucks and got a real bolt bin pretty cheap from Fastenal. Its 8x14(112) cubbies. I have no clue as of yet on how to organize it. Its going to take me quite some time to separate it out let alone organize it, so I would prefer to do it right the first time. The 14 spaces must be vertical so nothing falls out.

My primary store of bolts is 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 in varying lengths but I bet I have most up to at least 4" I am not sure how much stuff I have in divisions of 1/4" (e.g. 2 1/4") but I know there is some for sure.

My best idea thus far was to have each size running vertically (14 spaces) with the nuts/flats/locks off to the side in their own rows. not too crazy about that but it would work I guess.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Wyoming

Here's the way I went with some eBay bolt bins. The nuts and washers are in the far right hand drawers of each seperate unit, with each unit dedicated to a specific size... 1/4"-1/2"

The last shot is a nail/misc. bin at about 3/4 completion from a few months back...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

The last shot is a nail/misc. bin at about 3/4 completion from a few months back...
looks like you need to drink a lot more coffee to make it that last 1/4
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
looks like you need to drink a lot more coffee to make it that last 1/4
The last 1/4 was a shelf for more bolt bins...lag bolts...on the back side and two hanger for the longer extension cords that had been sitting wrapped up on the shop floor looking for a place to hide.

Killer drinks enough coffee for a steno pool! The coffee cans come in at about five a month and the shot was some months back...

BTW, the ittybitty storage drawer in one of the shots are for self-drilling screws, socket head bolts, machine screws, etc.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Cav, about 2 years ago a buddy of mine closed out his tractor dealership and was selling off most of the shop stuff. I bought a 3 section Lawson bolt bin assembly, about 3/4 stocked,metric and standard, for a small amount of cash. I built a stand to get it off the floor(no bending down) and it was already labled so that eliminated your dilemma. However it has all nuts in top row starting with 1/4" through 3/4". Next row has all flat washers in the same size catagories as the nuts. The third row starts with 1/4" x 1/2" and keeps progressing from there. Some of the sizes bleed over to the next row but it is so easy to find what you need. The good thing about it being labled is each bin also has the stock number and I can order replacements just by writing down the stock #. I'm sure you will be happy with it, after you pull your hair out seperating all those buckets of bolts.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Armchair Webbie

I had a mess like that once. In the old days, oranges came in wooden crates and my dad made some very nice multi-drawerd hardware cabinets out of them. Some still have "Sunkist" on them. The problem though, is that he never really sorted out all of the stuff he put in he drawers. I inherited them and just let it be for many years until I finally had had enough of all the scrounging every time I needed something and decided to organize and label things. It took six months of spare time.

Dave
Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIGDIRT View Post
I'm sure you will be happy with it, after you pull your hair out seperating all those buckets of bolts.

The bolts I dont mind. A couple years ago I was at an auction where a guy bought all the pull out bins. He started dumping all the hardware out into buckets. I asked him why he was making such a mess for himself. He told me he was using the bins for computer parts, no use for bolts at all. If I helped him carry everything out to his (PT CRUISER LOL) I could have the buckets. Not a problem buddy.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Cav, don't you just love being at the right place at the right time? I wonder what is the statute of limitations for suckage?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM

Cav, my natural inclination is to organize smallest to largest, left to right, front to back, top to bottom; so, I'd start on the top left with, say, 1/4 x 1/2, then moving to the right, or the rear, in case of more than one division in a tray, 1/4 x 3/4, etc. Nuts and washers would be at the end of the size group; so, if you pull a set of bolts for a job, you get all of the bolts, then the right amount of washers and nuts, as you move fro left to right, and so on.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM

A pic of mine. I have 1/4" to 3/4" from Left to right and lengths from 1" to 4" from top to bottom followed by nuts and washers (both lock and flat in one bin). The bottom row and far right are misc stuff such as carriage bolts and lag bolts. I also have screws in Costco Cashew bins per their length to the left. The cabinents around there also have misc hardware. Labels were printed on avery labels and stuck on. TB