Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Elite Member

I found a Ramsey PTO winch for sale nearby so I bought it. This winch happened to be from a IH Scout but Jeep used them as well. The weak link in these winches is the brass gear. The condition of the gear can be checked by removing the vent/plug at the top of the gear case, applying light an inspecting each tooth as the worm is turned by hand. This one is in excellent condition.

They were available in two spool widths. The one pictured is the wide one which will not work with the Saginaw power steering gear. I will have to change to the narrow one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04563700-EE48-4EA9-9D7A-F057207E722C.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	158432  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

At the scrap yard today I found the needed U joints for the winch driveline. Only three are needed, I have one extra. Don’t ask what this shafting was for, I haven’t a clue. It was already removed from the machine it drove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	170CE58A-7DC2-44E4-A848-1860FED5589E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	158433  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

The start of this build is now official as I brought the frame in yesterday. I’m over two weeks late for my shop season which typically starts Nov 1. Cause was a rearrangement and upgrade that has been going on for two months now. Having my shop in order greatly increases the enjoyment I get from it. Tackling a project like this in the condition it was would have prompted thoughts of suicide. I still have a few loose ends here and there, I plan to take care of those a bit at a time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0BBF4ADC-EE40-418D-993E-BE07DCE9F5F8.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	158517  

Old 11-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

This is one of the best frames I have. Only two issues with this one.

This area of the boxed section is a common rust spot. This frame has holes only on the left side. By the way, all reference to vehicle orientation should always be made from the driver seat, ie: right, left, front, rear, inboard, outboard. Driver side is on the right in England.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1376750F-23E1-4807-A555-1FFDC773D6D3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	158518  

Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

The rear crossmember needs to be replaced. There is rust in the mating surface to the frame rails and a hole was cut for a towing receiver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B655F225-006D-42E9-A41D-26DEF84A760A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	158519  

Old 11-20-2020, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

This is how I cleared off my work table, it was a tooling plate that weighs 1,800 lbs. I was attempting to move it so I could put the frame in its place. It went down instead of left.

I place the blame partly on a malfunctioning farm jack. Trying to get the jack mechanism to work with a load swinging side to side is not good. I will be making a more convenient and safe way the next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4FB52505-EF33-4FAB-9107-BED66896C3FA.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	158531  

Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Looks like that table is ready for some legs with cross supports about 4” high, just perfect for a pallet jack to move. Then need to pickup a pallet jack.

I am in process of putting things in legs/ pallets to move this way in my shop.

Hope you didn’t get hurt in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-22-2020, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

Yup, I was thinking pallet jack too! The farm jacks just dont seem very stable imho.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
The farm jacks just dont seem very stable imho.
They are scary, but sometimes there just isn't a better way.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Looks like that table is ready for some legs with cross supports about 4” high, just perfect for a pallet jack to move. Then need to pickup a pallet jack.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
My plan is a variation of what you suggested here. I want to add legs with cross beams but with wheels mounted to the beams. The legs must have screw jacks on each to level and stabilize the table. When it’s time to move I will simply retract the four screws to allow the wheels to contact the floor.

I have a pallet jack but I don’t use it much in my shop.