Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Do I have a life?

Default What's Inside: Digital Camera

I thought it would be of interest to show you'all the inside of a digital camera while I dissect it to see if it is fixable. First, a little history.

I bought an Olympus C-725 from O-Max about 2 years ago. See the pictures "boxfront" and "boxrear" to see the specs. It is the top one. After rebates and coupons I paid about half ($130) the going value at the time. I use it for pics for our website among other things. It is not a dozen megapixels but that is OK--I was more interested in the optical zoom which is 8x.

About a year ago, it started acting up and of course, it was out of warranty. Weird stuff like the batteries would wear out super-quick. For Olympus to even look at it (they have a repair center in NY) would be $129 so I said "F*** That!" and continued to use it. Finally, about 2 months ago, it just wouldn't work at all, no lights, camera or lens action, nein, non, nada. Not looking to spend $300 on a replacement, curiousity got the better of me and I carefully took it apart, amazingly not breaking anything! See the picture "olyback2". The green arrows show 2 of the screw holes and there are 2 more on the other side. A jeweler's screwdriver is essential here. Much to my delight, I noticed that the battery connector (red arrow) was disconnected. I reconnected it and the camera has been working fine ever since. Also note the yellow arrows which show the little clips that release the printed circuit cable. The pictures are of the C-720 which I'll comment on below.

Thinking the camera was dead, I looked on Ebay for a replacement. Meanwhile, I fixed it but ended up bidding on the C-720 which was sold as "dead" and "as-is". I got it for $20. I hoped it would be a simple thing like the battery cable was unplugged but not in this case so further dissection will be necessary and I'll update with pics. The difference between the C-720 and the C-725 is that the C-720 takes Smart Media and the C-725 takes the xD Card. Everything else looks to be the same: lens and motor, flash unit, controls, LCD, etc. Worse-case scenario is that I have an "extra" camera for parts.

I'll update once I get the front shell off. Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxfront.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	18642   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxrear.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	18643   Click image for larger version

Name:	dissect1.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	18644   Click image for larger version

Name:	olyback2.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	18645  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Big Shovel

that's neat stuff!

Do you realize, this "what's inside" idea could wreak havoc on forum members stuff. I could see guys tearing stuff apart, just to post pictures of what the guts look like.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to rocketeir Send a message via Yahoo to rocketeir

HEHE so true.. i have a DVD navigation system in my car that the screen just stopped working.. im soo tempted to tear it apart myself befor i send it to Pioneer.. But i paied 2g for it so i dunno if i should risk it.
if i do ill take picts...
O/A Victor setup
Dewalt power tools
Craftsman/Snapon hand tools
Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Just tell yourself that some young Chinese girl barely gets paid to put thousands of them together when she's not resting.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Lord of the Minions

Personally I think the airfilter is clogged and from the last pic, the choke rod is connected in the wrong hole.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger
that's neat stuff!

Do you realize, this "what's inside" idea could wreak havoc on forum members stuff. I could see guys tearing stuff apart, just to post pictures of what the guts look like.
My daddy drove my mother insane taking apart new electronics the instant he had them home from the store.
He'd love to see me put together this box o' rocks.

"You're just like your FATHER"

YES I AM!!! And I've got the blue eyes to prove it!

Rated M for MAGA
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Do I have a life?

Talking What's Inside--5+ year update...

I never did repair the Olympus C-720 camera described above--I put it and its parts in a bag and back in the box where it has sat for over 5 years... No, I'm NOT a packrat!

I've also continued to use the C-725 without incident until a few months ago when it started to "act up" and freeze on me, which requires a dump of the batteries to get it to unfreeze. It also does not keep the current time, and gives the "set time/date" nag message every time it is turned on. I wanted to see if there was a replaceable battery so I took it apart and found one that was soldered in place so back together it went--I figured it was time to look for a replacement, anyway. I'm assuming the freezing and dead battery are related. I did replace one of the side doors with one from the C-720.

Came across a C-740 which is similar to the above but with 10x zoom. It was on craigslist for $10 and needed a LCD screen. GREAT, I've got one on my "parts" camera, the C-720. So I pull the screen out and pull apart the C-740 to replace it. But alas, the LCDs are different! The viewfinder still works and I'll keep my eyes peeled for a "parts" camera. It takes better pictures than the C-725 (8x zoom) and for $10, WTH! Also came with a nice carry bag.

But I have also entered the "ought-tens" and ordered a "new" camera with 1080p video capability--it will double as a camcorder for me--I'll post once I get it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c740a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	90149   Click image for larger version

Name:	c740b.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	90150   Click image for larger version

Name:	c740c.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	90151   Click image for larger version

Name:	uzoom.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	90152  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger View Post
that's neat stuff!

I should have gone with the "what's inside" when my water softener was causing problems a couple weeks back.
It cost me a $120.00 service bill to have a tech come to the house, pull the front cover off the softener head, and replace a screw that had fallen out
Next time something happens, this old fart will be digging into my own box of tools, and dissecting the damn thing myself.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

I have a C-700 that looks just like the ones you have. It's downfall was that stupid Smartcard and expensive batteries. I bought rechargable AA's to help with the battery hunger it has. Otherwise, it is a good camera. It got bumped to reserve status 3 or so years ago.

Dt
Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM

Water softeners, I can fix. Cameras - nada, I'm just too heavy handed & fat fingered.

I'm glad some of you guys can do the delicate stuff.