Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Default Relief cutter

At family reunion this weekend and a cousin asked me to come over and look at some welders he had. He picked them up when his son said he was interested in welding, and went to welding school, but has not shown any interest in these. He said he had three, but I found 6 there. none that I was really interested in, or needed, so I passed on those. Couple older miller dia-arcs, one setup with tig, a 225 AC Lincoln tombstone, guessing alum wire due to weight of it, an off brand 100 amp wire welder, an older Hobart Handler Suitcase wire welder, 90 amp, and a Lincoln SP-100 mig welder, which I have an identical one of.

Told him which ones I would sell off, and which ones I would keep for when he gets his shop built. He has just been collecting awhile, and needs more space to organize what he has, to to get a work area.

Couple things did catch my eye though. He had a Brown and Sharpe magnetic chuck, which I picked up for $75.

And he had this relief cutter. I probably did not need it, but he wanted it gone, so I helped him out.
Seen a couple listed on eBay for $500 -800, so I might have done ok at $200, but only if I ever get it set up to use. I have an tool grinder that hopefully these will fit on someday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	152058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	152059Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	152060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	152061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	152062

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Auction Addict

You did great!!!

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

I see the machine is calling itself a Relief Grinder but I don't see a grinding apparatus. Is this actually a grinder or a fixture of sorts?

I bought a B&S magnetic chuck very much like the one you have there. It was mounted to a Delta Milwaukee Toolmaker Grinder that I bought from the scrap yard for $100 two weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	152153  

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I see the machine is calling itself a Relief Grinder but I don't see a grinding apparatus. Is this actually a grinder or a fixture of sorts?

I bought a B&S magnetic chuck very much like the one you have there. It was mounted to a Delta Milwaukee Toolmaker Grinder that I bought from the scrap yard for $100 two weeks ago.
That tool grinder looks very close to the one I have... except the motor on mine has been replaced and refabricated for mounting for some reason or another
but does work well I also have a similar brown and sharp Magnetic chuck.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Gold Star Dad

AC-225 Lincoln were always wound with aluminum, unless there was a rare prototype batch. The plug-in AC-180s I'm not sure about.

A couple years after they were introduced, you could get a new AC-225 for about $90. I checked the classified ads in Popular Mechanics/Pop Science.

I don't weld, but have managed to collect:
Miller x 3
Lincoln x 3
Thermal Arc (Firepower) 161
HF toaster
Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Gold Star Dad

AC-225 Lincoln were always wound with aluminum, unless there was a rare prototype batch. The plug-in AC-180s I'm not sure about.

A couple years after they were introduced, you could get a new AC-225 for about $90. I checked the classified ads in Popular Mechanics/Pop Science.

I don't weld, but have managed to collect:
Miller x 3
Lincoln x 3
Thermal Arc (Firepower) 161
HF toaster
NOS Smith "Big 99" O/A rig, misc. torches and Victor regulators.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM
I can dig it

Not sure how many magnetic chucks I have. There’s the 6x12 on my surface grinder, I think i have either two or three more in storage. I have a 6x6 that is part of the sine plate setup I got a while ago, and I think I have a 5-6” diameter round one as well, with a 5c shank on it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post

The relief grinder is just a fixture that moves the tool to cut the relief in cutters, or so I believe. It mounts onto a separate grinder, but I do not know exactly yet. I’m hoping I may find a use for it sometime. If nothing else, it a good paperweight to set on the mill.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
That tool grinder looks very close to the one I have... except the motor on mine has been replaced and refabricated for mounting for some reason or another
These machines were available in both single and three phase. The motor may have been changed to a single phase type. In either case the motor and pulley were balanced from the factory to reduce vibration.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 AM
Standard of Excellence

Well, I would love some relief from this post surgical hernia pain, but that is not the tool I would want to use.