Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
Yup, that'd give you the straight vertical transfer at the supported ends of the truss - everything in between is still just a bunch of triangles stuck together, which is what makes the EFFECTIVE depth of that "board" (truss) 20", but at a lot less WEIGHT than a 4x20 solid board would be... Steve
So If I rework the support points so there is at least two verticals above the walls, and have some angled pieces coming off of them, you think that about 17' is completely safe for this span right?

EDIT: actually, it seems like you think that these trusses are actually designed to span the full 27.5' because there are no other double verticals anywhere right?
If that's the case, then I guess they are WAY fine for my measly 17' span. (as long as I rework them a bit)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Elite Member

" actually, it seems like you think that these trusses are actually designed to span the full 27.5' because there are no other double verticals anywhere right?"

Nope; you said yourself that the CHART and the TRUSSES aren't necessarily from the SAME SOURCE - that's kinda like saying that because your buddy's Cat 988 loader can move 10 yards per bucket load, so can your Kubota BX...

As it is right now, you don't KNOW what you have, so at BEST it's kind of a WAG. If they haven't been got at by termites, dry rot, etc, then I would think they'd be AT LEAST as good as 2x12's and probably a lot better.

About the only thing I'm REALLY sure of is that they WILL break if you set them on a load bearing wall WITHOUT the additions I drew.

Personally (this is NOT "permission" ) I wouldn't be afraid of using them this way IF they still look/feel solid AND you won't be storing old machine tools on the resulting floor

IOW, I am NOT a truss designer by trade (nor do I play one on TV) - I HAVE built trusses in place in a pole barn (better open floor space) and poured a floor in it when converting it to a shop, and I'm still alive to admit it

I also added a mezzanine in that shop across one end; floor is 2x12's on 24", 1-1/4" T&G ply over. Max span is just under 12', no discernible give in the last 20 years... Steve

That's it, and (maybe) worth all it cost ... Steve