Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

PPSS

Gel and AGM batteries do not behave the same way flooded batteries do. The voltage charts are not interchangeable.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Slow crank, aged battery, replace same. Maybe bring it back after a charge.

Truth be known, like the battery tools, loose run time need a more frequent recharges, first stop before the trash can.

Car battery the same, anytime after the battery life code, replacement is in the near future. Trying to get every last start out of one will put stress the rest of the charging system.

Battery is a cheap replacement, the cheaper the battery the sooner they need to be replaced. Advance auto gold, 4-5 years, sometimes longer. Once upon a time die hard was a good battery, not any more.

Pep
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 PM
I can dig it

V10’s also have an issue with dissimilar metals where the starter bolts up. It’s an aluminum surface with steel bolts holding the starter in. First and so far only starter I had to heat a bell housing to get starters bolts out.

There was LOTS of anti-seize used on re-install.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
V10’s also have an issue with dissimilar metals where the starter bolts up. It’s an aluminum surface with steel bolts holding the starter in. First and so far only starter I had to heat a bell housing to get starters bolts out.

Yeah. This truck only has 80,000 miles on it, but she drives it all winter, parks it outside and rarely washes it. Its the truck (dually) I had to take the hub off the truck with the wheel still attached and then drive it out of the wheel with a sledge hammer. I am confident that pulling the starter will not be a good day whenever it comes to that. I am hoping to just take the cables loose and clean them up, but I still think the battery is the biggest problem.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Default How much voltage drop should you see in a battery starting a truck?

I think if the voltage is getting into the 10 volt range, the battery is getting weak. Not sure if being a gel battery makes a difference though. Being a V10, it probably cranks a little harder, so if there is any corrosion in any of the cables, it will slow the starter down for sure.

Also, my old boss had an v10 in his Ford, and I remember changing the starter at least twice in 8 years or so, so the starter might be do for a change.

Can you take the battery out of your vehicle and try it in her truck?
Or put a set of jumper cables on to your vehicle and see if that makes a difference in the starting.
Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 08-12-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post

In that case, you need to test the voltage drop from the - battery all the way to the starter housing.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:17 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi View Post
Slow crank, aged battery, replace same. Maybe bring it back after a charge.

Truth be known, like the battery tools, loose run time need a more frequent recharges, first stop before the trash can.

Car battery the same, anytime after the battery life code, replacement is in the near future. Trying to get every last start out of one will put stress the rest of the charging system.

Battery is a cheap replacement, the cheaper the battery the sooner they need to be replaced. Advance auto gold, 4-5 years, sometimes longer. Once upon a time die hard was a good battery, not any more.

Pep
+1 Batteries are not the quality they use to be Interstate and a couple of others out there are best your gonna get for general automotive use with any dependability or longevity.

I don't think AGM batteries are any better especially when used in older cars/applications where the charging system was not designed with specific charging systems for AGM/glass mat batteries.

Another note fast-charging batteries are a killer of batteries, so if charging a weak or low battery it is always best to trickle charge a battery... the prosses in which they charge is a bit more complicated than one may imagine.

fast charging you are just piling the electrons in a mess kind of like throwing pixie Styx out in a pile all boggled, as where in trickle charging our tightly stacking the electrons which will allow the battery to come to a fully charged lever and allows better cold-cranking amps sort of like using a layer at a time as where fast-charged bungled electrons when cranking your using all it's potential in one shot...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 08-13-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Allison has a 2010 F350 with the V10 in it and has been complaining to me for almost a year that it is starting hard. It has a 900CCA gel battery in it that I put in less than 3 years ago and had a 4 year warranty. I have taken it back to batteries plus multiple times and was told each time that it is within spec and they can't warranty it.

I have a 100 amp harbor freight load tester and it shows the battery at 11.8V unloaded and drops down close to 10V with the load applied. With the truck running it shows 13.9 and stays about 12.5 with the load applied. I have not had any trouble starting it the times I've looked at it but have no reason to doubt her when she says she turns the key and isn't sure its going to do anything. I'd say the gauge on the harbor freight tester isn't particularly accurate but the readings jump up to appropriate levels with the truck running.

Today the guy put his meter on and I was able to stand where I could read it and he told me the "battery is gold!, that's holding tight with 1000 amps on it". And while it was just barely catching the bottom edge of the green bar on his tester gauge, it was also under 10.5 volts...He told me he couldn't do anything for me unless I wanted to pay full price for a battery, and that the new one would do that exact same thing this one is doing. He thought I should check my spark plugs.

I made him look at it with my tester on it (knowing I was wasting my time but wtf). He told me my tester was for motorcycle batteries and wouldn't be reliable to a larger battery.

The last idiot I talked to told me that you have to drive an hour before the battery recovers from starting and that we shouldn't make so many short trips with the truck without putting it on a trickle charger.

I'm pretty convinced it has a weak battery. I would have thought a starter going bad would have died by now, and the alternator tests fine. I will probably put a battery in and I will buy it from somebody different.I wanted to see what others thought for how much voltage drop is acceptable though. Is it really ok for it go under 11 volts?

The only way to determine if the battery is bad is to do a Pile test and by following the test procedure included with the pile tester... CCA CA and temperature anything under 12.6 to 13.6 is a failing battery if it hasn't failed yet it will fail at the worst time possible...

You can get a reasonably priced pile tester at HF it's as good as any other
If it is a liquid fill battery you can also test the battery cells individually and determine which one is weak compared to the other cells and then bring it back up to a full charge and test the individual cells again if one is below any of the others its a bad cell and means battery is going bad soon anyway and will be a sure way to know it needs replacing.

here is one test procedure for testing the cells individually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qgZoovWHI

Pile tester... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fvD8XJsSRc

Hope this helps ya...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:25 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

If you are measuring no load battery terminal to terminal and get 11.8 volts the battery is bad unless you have a parasitic load somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190813-042048~2.png
Views:	20
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	151787  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Voice of Experience

I replace my battery every three years...An old battery will take a shit on you at the worst time...Ain't worth trying to set a record for oldest battery...Battery will win every time...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..