Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 08-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I have worked on those furnaces. All those I have seen have an orifice plate in the air intake pipe above the induction fan.
That plate matches the furnace to the site altitude and the chimney
there are also changeable injection nozzles to convert the furnace from natural gas to propane.
Check that your furnace has the correct fuel nozzle first.
The exchange nozzles are normally in a little bag hanging from the piping inside the furnace.
If the nozzle is correct then the air orifice plate above the inducer fan needs to be changed.
IF you need to change fuel type you may also need to change the air flow orifice.
Note that the proper flame condition is for the primary flame ahead of the flame baffle with the furnace at or near proper operating temperature.
Hope this is helpful
Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
I have worked on those furnaces. All those I have seen have an orifice plate in the air intake pipe above the induction fan.
That plate matches the furnace to the site altitude and the chimney
there are also changeable injection nozzles to convert the furnace from natural gas to propane.
Check that your furnace has the correct fuel nozzle first.
The exchange nozzles are normally in a little bag hanging from the piping inside the furnace.
If the nozzle is correct then the air orifice plate above the inducer fan needs to be changed.
IF you need to change fuel type you may also need to change the air flow orifice.
Note that the proper flame condition is for the primary flame ahead of the flame baffle with the furnace at or near proper operating temperature.
Hope this is helpful
Ok, I've done some digging and not found a different jet than the #661024 that is in it. IMO it is huge. The way to change the valve for Nat gas to propane is to unscrew a plug in the valve body, and turn it end for end and screw it back in.
Same jet for Nat gas and Propane according to the manual, but damn that orifice is huge. We are at 2200 ft ASL so it may be ok, or not.

Quote:
7.For Robertshaw gas valves with the regulator
converter(Figure29):
a.Remove the black cover and unscrew the
converter located on top of the gas valve.
b.Invert the converter: for LP the red ring will
be located at the bottom and the LP stamping
on the converter will appear right side up.
c.Screw converter back into the regulator,
hand tight plus1/8 turn.Replace the black
cover on the converter top to protect the
threads
I also have a spare burner I got from the dump, same RobertShaw valve with the same .080 thou jet, but someone was learning mig welding on the burner and deflector so that part is scrap.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
This might help at least you can see the flame
Thanks, that is my exact furnace, And my flame is not like that. However it has run 10 years this way. That does not mean it is correct though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Found this in this manual
Thanks, I have a similar manual for the M1M. I'm doing inspect and adjust on everything. Always do on whatever I buy. But a yellow flame is not right in my opinion

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Auction Addict

Was it running on propane for the previous owner?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Was it running on propane for the previous owner?
It has always been on propane, set up that way from the factory.
I am using the original regulators that can from factory.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 AM

Default update

Today I spoke with a gas tech in Thorsby, and told him the furnace, model etc and my concerns. He said that is a normal flame. He described it as a big lazy fireball in a drum heat exchanger. He said the parameters are fixed and there is very little or nothing for adjustments, and even changing pressure is difficult.
Then he suggested he should come out and look at it to give it his blessing.
I chuckled and so did he.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Today I had my nephew available, so me and the yellow nigger decided to move the future utility shed into it's new home. Put the forks on and rigging up went smoothly.
This shed is 2x8 construction, insulated with fiberglas, and sheeted in exterior grade 3/4" plywood, inside and out. It was a Electrical room so it has electric heat and was full of switchgear. Built like a brick shithouse.

We lifted the shed and carried it into the spot and prepared and leveled a couple railroad ties the thing will sit on.
I set the shed on the ties and backed up and it started jerking, vibrating, and sounding ugly. So I shut it down.
The double mechanical U joint that couples the Allison to the engine flywheel was taking a break underneath the loader. It was fire damaged and I thought it would be ok, so never replaced it, but I got 4 years out of it.

Maybe I got the same disease as Metelwolf's scooter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed move3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	151851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed move4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	151852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed move5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	151853  

Old 08-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Today I had my nephew available, so me and the yellow nigger decided to move the future utility shed into it's new home. Put the forks on and rigging up went smoothly.
This shed is 2x8 construction, insulated with fiberglas, and sheeted in exterior grade 3/4" plywood, inside and out. It was a Electrical room so it has electric heat and was full of switchgear. Built like a brick shithouse.

We lifted the shed and carried it into the spot and prepared and leveled a couple railroad ties the thing will sit on.
I set the shed on the ties and backed up and it started jerking, vibrating, and sounding ugly. So I shut it down.
The double mechanical U joint that couples the Allison to the engine flywheel was taking a break underneath the loader. It was fire damaged and I thought it would be ok, so never replaced it, but I got 4 years out of it.

Maybe I got the same disease as Metelwolf's scooter.
Must have melted out the grease in the U joint.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 08-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Must have melted out the grease in the U joint.
No, I replaced the grease, but the seals at the edges of the cups were cooked.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 PM

Default Perimeter Enclosure

Now that the materials have arrived, it is time to deal with closing in the crawl space.
I have ordered the supplies from Trimlock and in general I am pleased. The packaging is superb, with each piece individually wrapped. Makes for a pile of paper, some sort of plasticized stuff that is waterproof.
The material is galvanized 16 ga. glued to 1.5" bead board. There is a steel tongue and groove on the edges and then on the outside there is a stone or colored sand material that is sprayed and glued onto the steel. Panels are rigid and you cut with a skilsaw and abrasive blade.

I recently sold some firewood, but one guy who looked at it, said it was too short, but I let him cut up some logs I have racked up for free. He offered to help with the skirting. He is an ex-military bachelor who worked construction.
We have progressed at old man speed, and I am glad, because this stuff is a learning experience for both of us. Yes, we did have to go back and re-do some of our work, so that the corners would be square. The mistakes are few and far between, and we have used up all our stockpiled mistake pieces where the wall is shorter.

By the end of tomorrow, we will have 3 sides completed, unless it rains.
The last pic is the East side which I have waited in vain for it to dry up. We will have to complete filling and bedding the sill timber before we can do anything more. I may have to get a load of dry materiel, wet clay does not spread and smooth well.

I plan to call a halt to any further work on this after the perimeter is closed in. May plant some garlic soon. Winter is coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03996.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	152230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03997.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	152231   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03998.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	152232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03999.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	152233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04000.jpg
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	152234