Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr
I am right handed and try never to hold the rod with my left hand but sometimes you have to. I think it is a bad habit but I guess I am in the minority. I have used the rap around and the cut in half and have welded two rods together plus used two hands many times, but for everyday welding I do not. You can't always use both hands so when that time comes you are flopping like a crappie . When doing long boring welds I sometime lean on the work change hands or what ever it takes to stay comfortable. I think a lot of it is in your mind. Years ago I forced my self to use only my left hand to weld for a month. When I first started my left hand was totally confused but if I placed my right hand on my left it straightened right up and after a wile all I had to do was put one finger of my right hand on my left and the left welded fine. Its funny now when my left gets a little confused I just put one finger on it and away it goes.(try it) Now I use what ever hand is more comfortable. But the right hand is still the better welder if things get real tough the right hand kicks the left off the job and takes over. LOL
I'm left hand dominant, and I use the technique that is stated above when I need to.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 01-14-2006, 10:57 AM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrednek
I agree with Digr. Ive had my days when my right hand eats up with arthritus or carpal tunnel or something thats just painful as sin. Cant even grab the stinger at times. I can easily do it with my left. I can weld wih my right no left. I need my right to weld wth my left, but sometimes nothingmore than just to kinda rest it on my wrist...that is my wrists are crossed with teh left ontop the right. Has worked real well for me.
Tex you have that carpal tunnel thing going to. I have one doctor that says come back when you can't stand the pain and another doctor that says have the surgrey done as soon as possible and that the longer you wait the more damage is done. What have you heard?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Still on Ritalin

Send a message via Yahoo to texrednek

Digr, on this surgery. I havent looked into it personally. My mother has had it and my wife has been needing it but they just wont do surgery on a pregnant girl..I cant figure it out My mothers was pretty severe. Shes had both wrists and I think the elbows. I dont know, I know the entry was at the elbows but I dont know why this was all early 90's. My wife has been told and I suppose my mother, the thing about how by waiting you can build up scar tissue. However, my dad and I were recently talking about it, he did not seem to think there was any gain in getting in sooner than necessary. Both mom and angel have heard it both directions. When I talked to dad he said that what mama has been told, and is experiencing first hand, is that she will prolly need it again. This isnt a one time fix. Angel asked our family doc and he said he agrees that while some people do well, most will need it again in their lifetime. Basically they do something like hollow out the passage where the nerve goes or something to that extent. but over time it builds back up. Dad said scar tissue or something but wasnt real clear on it. He said then the nerve rubs on this passageway and the whole thing gets inflammation and tis bad. So yeah Ive heard it both ways too. I seem to think go as long as you can deal with it, cause I cant see a benefit in going in earlier. Mom had hers just over ten years ago. Although she has bad days, for the most part shes alright. She works at a computer and uses the keyboard all day. There are a number of things shes had done to help with ergonomics or something. But still, this is a problem that she says she will prolly have to have another surgery before she retire, but she dont know. I think its a tough call, doc wants you in there to get the money inhis pocket...course Doc might be right I dont know. As youve heard Ive heard a lot of differing opinions on this. But a mainstay Ive heard lately especially is that once youve had it youll have to have it again..the surgery that is. So I dont know. I worry about it. My wife is gonna need it both wrists. My left doesnt bother me. Only my fingers in my left. Occasional pain in the wrist. My right gets it a little more often. But I do get occasion in the fingers so I dont know. Havent had the doc chekc me for the carpul tunnel, but I do have fears it could be the culprit based on what my wife and mother have had. Good luck and keep us up to date on how this progresses.

IF IT CATCHES...Let it burn
Old 01-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Lord of the Minions

Well now lets see, I write with my left, draw with my left, paint with my right, shoot guns and the bow with my right, drive with 2 fingers on my left, mig/tig/stick with either, sex with both, and most importantly point with my left cuz my right index is a joint and a half shorter that the rest and that just looks funny when trying to make a point. Just kidding, I drive with both knees when both hands are having sex.

I can remember welding offshore standing on the walk way grating, knee deep in water welding on another walkway on top of the low one. If you grab'd too much of the stinger, it would make the jewels tingle and the eyes cross.

I have use a mirror at times with pipe, but found it a little confusing, but did think that if I did it often enough, it would get easier.

Who is J McCracken? I've seen/heard this name come up somewhere else as well.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Still on Ritalin

J McCracken = JTMcC
I remember my dad was always very fond of his foster grandfather. It was a foster brother to my granddad but was almost 20 yrs older. Dad never knew his grandfather, died when my dad was young. Oggie had lost his right index at the nuckle in a railroad accident of sorts. He was running the wheel lathe turning the wheels down. I guess he wasnt paying enough attention and it went away. Dont recall the railroad, but my grandad says the foreman told him he could have a day off and no more. If he wanted more he(the foreman) could find someone else to do the job. I guess the depression was hard times.
Dad was always fond though of Oggies finger...cause he learned to shoot with his middle. Oggie would say, this is my shootin finger..with it I can shoot birds..and the bird

Old 01-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Lord of the Minions

Oh yea, thanks texredneck.

I figured it was someone of import, just didn't know who.

And I guess in a way I'm bless'd. Think of all the time I save by only trimming/cleaning 9 fingers.

I forgot to add earlier, I fret the guitar with my left and pick with the 4 1/2 fingers of the right.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:31 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

When removing broken bolts or studs, deep in a part, the rod has to start dead center. I grind a point on the rod and guide it with the left hand near the pointy end. With a 1/8" rod at 125 amps, it doesn't get too hot for a few seconds. That's all the time needed to get the rod flowing, and centering is less critical after the arc starts.

Two reason squirt guns have replaced stick in so many industries - the welding hand is close to the weldment, and the distance from hand to weldment remains constant. IMO, stick is nearly as demanding as TIG. Out of position TIG is often easier, since the arc amps can be adjusted as needed.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Farmboy

[QUOTE=lwhiway]Well now lets see, I write with my left, draw with my left, paint with my right, shoot guns and the bow with my right, drive with 2 fingers on my left, mig/tig/stick with either, sex with both, and most importantly point with my left cuz my right index is a joint and a half shorter that the rest and that just looks funny when trying to make a point. Just kidding, I drive with both knees when both hands are having sex. /QUOTE]

I'm left handed/half assed ambedextrus (sp) as well. the only thing my left hand is good for though is writing and its not very good at that . I weld with both hands maily right handed, throw a ball right handed,(i also kick a soccer ball right footed) and drive with my left hand cause i drive a stick
Old 01-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Still on Ritalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks
When removing broken bolts or studs, deep in a part, the rod has to start dead center. I grind a point on the rod and guide it with the left hand near the pointy end. With a 1/8" rod at 125 amps, it doesn't get too hot for a few seconds. That's all the time needed to get the rod flowing, and centering is less critical after the arc starts.

Two reason squirt guns have replaced stick in so many industries - the welding hand is close to the weldment, and the distance from hand to weldment remains constant. IMO, stick is nearly as demanding as TIG. Out of position TIG is often easier, since the arc amps can be adjusted as needed.
Maybe im just weird but this has never ever ever been the case for me. Ive always stick welded beter than I can mig or tig. Well out of position. Once that rod gets going it just flows. I dont know what im doing wrong cause everone else dont like it. But it does work for me I can say that

Old 01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
Who is J McCracken? I've seen/heard this name come up somewhere else as well.

LW
Pipe/structural weldor extraordinaire who visits all of the welding forums from time to time
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride