Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-07-2004, 10:28 AM

Default rosette weld ?

I've studied and practiced all kinds of welds but I don't ever recall reading about the proper way to make a rosette weld. I lengthened the tongue on a yard trailer and added a 2" trailer hitch to it for my dad yesterday and filled welded it down with rosette welds in the 6 holes provided in the hitch piece.

I've made lots of rosette welds but have always felt unsure about getting good penetration to join the pieces together because with a mig the hole will fill up with weld metal so fast.

any tips ?

Last edited by morpheus; 06-07-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:31 PM

I think you're referring to what is more commenly called a plug weld.

Typically, I'd run them as hot as you can get without burning through it, or messing up a tip. I usually fire up in the middle, then when the heat is up to "par" I will then do a circle around inside, like a fillet, then fill the middle making slow circles till it fills to just over flush.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 AM
'Ol Pilot

Default 'Ol Pilot

I've done a bunch of those rosette welds, but my personal preference is to use O/A if it's available. It's a lot slower, but much more controllable than MIG for that application. With O/A, it's a lot easier to determine if you've got good penetration since you can melt the base metals together and might not even need much if any filler rod.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 AM

That would have been a good idea ol' pilot, I definitely would have known I'd gotten good fusion then. hopefully my tig skills will be better the next time I have to do one of those.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:03 PM

Funny you guys should mention that. I did a few plug welds with my AC arc welder the other day and had a heck of a time getting good penetration, unless I really poured the coals to it with some 3/32" 6011 rod (ran it at 90 amps). I was tacking some 1/2" and 7/8" x 1/8" flat bar to some 11/4" x 1/8" square tube for a roof rack for my van. Quite a few of the welds failed before I got the hang of it, still not convinced of the ones that seemed successful, I'll have to test 'em out...

What size hole should a guy drill for this type of operation? I had a 1/4 or 5/16 if I recall, is this big enough? Too big? I didn't want to melt through to the sides of the bar, as the shape is critical so it can slide in to the factory tracks on the roof. I thought about it some more and figured maybe Oxy/Acetelyne is the way to go, because as you mentioned, it's easier to control the heat But do you think it would be more prone to heating up and warping due to the time it takes to get it up to tempurature??

Luc

Last edited by TheFrenchCanadian; 06-08-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Default Slots versus plugs.

My advise is; if the part geomety allows. Run a slot, have the length be at least 4 times the width. If it is a stick job run 'em in the flat position and use 7024 electrode and run it hot. If it is a mig job un it in spray transfer mode if you can.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

Comon Shade just cause you got that new spray squirter it ain't the only way to plug with a MIG. I did a couple this weekend on 1/4 plate with a 5/8 hole.
If I had a rule of thimb for plugging, I would say the hole should be twice the material thickness in diameter.
Slots are a lot nicer, but we rarely get to cut a slot and plug it.

Whatever process youuse, for plug welds, run it as hot as you can go. I like to start at one side of the hole and weld it shut right across.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018
Default plug weld

I had to plugweld a door hinge back in place the other day,drilled 4 3/8 wholes pulled the hinge up in place and welded it vert up with 1/8 6011.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:17 AM

I would have to agree with using mig and 6011. 7018 isn't a good idea because it's not self cleaning rod and there's alot of potential for slag incursion. Running hot MIG is what I've mostly done plug welds with with no failures(that I know of yet). Remember to get rid of millscale and paint from where the plugs are going to be.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:43 AM

Sounds good guys, say Shade, why 7024? Because of it's high deposit rate (if memory serves me correctly...)? Why not 6011 for good penetration?

Luc