Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
I prefer the cast steel, welded waste since then if you need to redress the anvil there is no chance of face delamination. Just heat it up, pound it out and reharden. Good as new.
If there is no visible line that indicates a laminated face, how can you tell if it is cast steel or not?

Mine is well worn and needs flattening out. I got the correct rods and Bill The Welder is going to do the clever part on it. I need to preheat and then do a slow cool off after.
I dont have the means to heat and hammer it out anyhow so that part is academic.
I have seen those really big beautiful new anvils on the net. Freight alone to here would be horrifying. I was lucky to get mine for $500 and didnt argue at all about it. They dont come up very often and get snapped up pretty quick.
I even asked a foundry about making one but that was spendy as well and they didnt seem terribly enthusiastic about it anyway.

Nice pics.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Anvil envy here as well.I only have one.A Peter Wright I stumbled on at a very good price.Would really like another.I'd like to set up a dedicated outside area for warm weather work with the charcoal forge and an indoor area for late night and cold weather work with a propane forge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anvil 013.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	75852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Projects001.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	75853  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Then I decided maybe you guys would like to see all my stuff.

Gotta be very specific when using the "all encompassing" word "stuff"....
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The big anvils like that were used under big steam power hammers. They are very interesting, but not user friendly for a blacksmith doing normal work.
Anvils like this 400-500lbs were common place in Industrial shops some with steam hammers but more often than not just a hand hammer with a couple of sledgers. .

Ideally an anvil was purchased with a particular forging operation in mind. This led to what size anvil and type was used. You still see this today with Farrier anvils, Saw makers anvils, Sword makers anvils, etc.

75% produced are in the 100-175 range. These were easily moved by the owner and served a good function for the general handyman as well as general Blacksmith. 175-250 were used in real blacksmithing shops that were very busy with heavier irons.

The price on that anvil is disgusting. The guy must have been smoking something.

Remember Just about any farm worth their salt had an anvil on the property and usually other items to help with metal chores( fixing plows, wagons, shovels, pick, mattocks. etc.

Around 1800's or so most local blacksmiths did shoes and repaired stuff, most of the major production was all ready moving to the big factories. Even earlier in Europe.

For me I like the biggest anvil I can find that gives me the working surface I need.

This means that after all these years a London Pattern anvil has some short comings and I prefer a double horn anvil. One round horn and one flat.

These usually have a wide face which as a hardware maker I didn't like, but with the tapered horn on the other side it simply means I have a face of any width I should choose.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Gotta be very specific when using the "all encompassing" word "stuff"....
Yes, more stuff to come. Remember Spring is just starting around here and there is tons (literally) of stuff to add to this thread.

Hence Anvil, anvil, anvil and stuff...

Be patient

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbodhi View Post
Anvil envy here as well.I only have one.A Peter Wright I stumbled on at a very good price.Would really like another.I'd like to set up a dedicated outside area for warm weather work with the charcoal forge and an indoor area for late night and cold weather work with a propane forge.
I like the anvil stand. 1/4" plate? does it ring like a bell?

A good stand for inside work is an unside container like the anvil stand just put upside down and fill it with sand then put a piece of plate on it. Then put a lock down over front and rear of feet.

this adds considerally to the heft of the base, makes the anvil quite down a bit and you dont' have the echo from the base.

If I ever get my shop built this will be the route I go.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
If there is no visible line that indicates a laminated face, how can you tell if it is cast steel or not?

Mine is well worn and needs flattening out. I got the correct rods and Bill The Welder is going to do the clever part on it. I need to preheat and then do a slow cool off after.
I dont have the means to heat and hammer it out anyhow so that part is academic.
I have seen those really big beautiful new anvils on the net. Freight alone to here would be horrifying. I was lucky to get mine for $500 and didnt argue at all about it. They dont come up very often and get snapped up pretty quick.
I even asked a foundry about making one but that was spendy as well and they didnt seem terribly enthusiastic about it anyway.

Nice pics.

I used to acid dip them after a good wire brushing. This will show a direct proportion of what is hard and what isn't. This can act as a guide to how thick a face is as well. some of the really well made anvils with a welded on face you can't even see the weld seam.

On another note some of the anvils were made a school shop projects and don;t have a steel face at all. I bought a few of those when I first started and it wasn't such a good thing.

I'vd known people who weld the faces with a hardfacing rod and have had good results. I prefer the old fashion method and if given a choice would just find one in good shape.

The 200lbs I have needs a redress but it's a process and someone who is familiur with how it's done. Working 4-5" per heat at a time is pretty standard so and anvil with a 4X21face would only take a few heats to refinish.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
jhill

I inherited a nice anvil from my Grandfather. along with a forge and some tools. I think its a Peter Wright. it must weight about 70lbs. He used to make fittings for whipple trees and other hardware for the neighbors. Unfortunately he died before I became interested in that sort of thing.

Jerry
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
I like the anvil stand. 1/4" plate? does it ring like a bell?
1/2 inch plate and the anvil is welded to it.Abit of a monster to move around and LOUD.The guys on Blade Forum suggested either a screwed and glued 2x4 base or a base with the anvil set in a few inches of sand.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill View Post
I inherited a nice anvil from my Grandfather. along with a forge and some tools. I think its a Peter Wright. it must weight about 70lbs. He used to make fittings for whipple trees and other hardware for the neighbors. Unfortunately he died before I became interested in that sort of thing.

Jerry
Hows about some pics?

My google+ page

DoALL 36"