Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Default "bad" welding wire...

I keep avoiding buying a 10 or 12.5# spool of .030" or .035" ER70S6 because I'm afraid that it will get some rust on it before I finish it, but OTOH, I've blown through more than one of the little 1 or 2 lb spools on the last 2 major projects I did the last couple of months (meaning, if I bought one more spool making 6lbs before it went "bad" it would cost the same as the 12.5lb spool of the same stuff). I had a friend that complained all the time that it was impossible to get nice welds with the stuff once it got some rust on it, but OTOH, I have an 11# spool of .023" that I've had as long as I've owned the welder that seems the same (the weird thing there is that I've seen them in the store with rust on the wire, but my garage that's more humid than most stores and everything else seems to rust in, this spool is not rusting)

Is it really a problem? Is it worse with some brands? (the spool that I saw in the store recently that was rusted was lincoln brand, the spool that I have that isn't appears to be an off brand that got thrown in with my welder when I bought it, the spool that I just ran out of was HF chicago electric stuff that was OK besides the fact that the spool wasn't wound evenly and the last 1/4 of it didn't want to feed well...)
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM

G day mark,
The wire rusting on the spool between intermittent uses is a problem in the area in which I live, ie, its in the tropics.

A simple cure is to wrap the spool in a garbage bin bag with a twist tie to keep the humidity out.
Even better if you or one of your family takes a blood pressure medication, the desiccant tab that they pack with them,is great for inclusion in the bag.

Sure ,it takes a few moments to remove the bag,but the time saving over cleaning a fouled liner and removing rusted wire layers is many fold.

Hope this helps you

Grahame
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Mig Wire Cleaner Pads

Silverback, I don't seem to have the problem - I guess my welding area is dry enough - but I've seen these cleaning pads which wipe any light rust off the wire and apply a bit of dry lube as well. They work automatically and only need to be changed occasionally. They may solve your problem. Read about it here.

DrBob
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Everything in my garage/shop rusts due to the high humidity here in Florida and I've had to toss rusty wire in the past. I found a cure for it by opening up the machine and putting a T shirt over spool and wire right up to where it feeds into the liner. I also use the wire wiper pad Dr. Bob recommended. Just remember to take the T shirt out before use and problem solved.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Elite Member

Humidity? What's that? If kept out of the rain, nothing rusts here. Not worrying about rust is actually a pleasure (seriously).
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 AM

In high humidity areas the water vapour in the air will settle on the top upper half of the spool.

It can drive a newby crazy as the spool on its half rotation with the rusty wire welds erratically.Having rotated until the clean wire half goes through the contact tip it then welds great. It takes a while to sort that one out but by that time the liner is fouled up and needs cleaning or replacement

If the spool is layer wound it is usually pretty easy to strip off the top layer.Obviously not so with random wound wire.
The wire wiper is ok for a light workshop dust.the problem is that the water vapour corrodes the fine metallic dust particles and pits the mig wire.
The wire wipers come in various brands and none of them are very effective at removing pitted in rust already present. The wire in pur school migs is removed and bagged over the 6 week school vacation otherwise it is unusable when we return.

If you have a liner without a plastic cover it is possible to clean it by coiling it so it fits in a 5 gal drum and cover it the a bit of kerosine (I think its called paraffin in your country ) and swirl it around . Then do the same with some methylated spirits and blow it out with an air gun.

It works ok for a slightly dirty liner but is not much good if your liner is jammed full of crap.

Grahame
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
A simple cure is to wrap the spool in a garbage bin bag with a twist tie to keep the humidity out.
I would have thought in a high humidity area condensation would occur inside the bag, but hey I've never tried it. Recon it might work ok down here in central vic. We get a bit of condensation here in the shed overnite.

I still have bad memories of the mould issues and humidity related probs I used to have when I lived in Darwin (Northern Aust). Cant say I miss the place.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Six weeks in a garbage bag even without he dessicant-no probs in Mackay FNQ.

I did the same thing in Darwin without issues.

Do you remember the "build up" from October to December with fondness then?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post
(I think its called paraffin in your country ) and swirl it around .

Grahame
naw Grahame, I think some of the Brits call it paraffin.
Around here we call it coal oil.
That's what we use in the coal oil lamps.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post
Then do the same with some methylated spirits and blow it out with an air gun.
Would we know that by another name,such as methyl alcohol?
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein