Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:46 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Vernia,Tx.
Posts: 3,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
That’s complete and utter bullshit.
Well, That's your opinion besides, you don't need to be a smart ass bully with your comments... we are talking a 5.2 gas engine here. I along with a ton of others including the machine shops that ground them have seen a 20/20 crank not hold up for one reason or another... SO! do tell me It's utter bull shit! been there done that and seen that... a time or two

There are a number of variables
as to why... mostly unforeseen variables that cause a regrind to fail
20/20 and under I have seen fail more than once... "here again personal preference" I prefer at most nothing reground more than 10/10 and not saying one of them has not failed or was without issue!
Maybe it's just you've never experienced it... who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
And no, it’s not personal preferences, most any OEM sets the precedence for what is acceptable by factory spec and bearing availability
And yes it is personal preference. If I don't want to risk "possible failure" I won't and will not go more than 10/10 on a regrind! especially on a cast crank!
I never once said all 20/20 cranks fail either! said it was risky and it is "personal preference" for myself and for many others who are building engine.

It does not have anything to do with what the precedence the OEM sets...
that's like saying the engineer who designed it is always right and design is so perfect it can't and won't go wrong! or the shop that reground it never secres up or that the crank was improperly rewelded somewhere down the road and yours replaced with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
even saw a late model cumins reman that was 20/20.
I have seen them as well, have seen them hold up and have seen them snap
hell, I've seen stock Cummins cranks snap no reason what so ever!

So there really must be some reason you felt a need to piss on my opinion... And making me out to be an utter Dumbass... what, because you don't agree with my opinion!

Sorry, Ron. Didn't mean to misinform anyone! if others feel that way, And sure didn't intend on turning your thread into a flammable issue!

Fell free to delete any post you feel is Utter bullshit, ban me from the site, cancel my account, whatever you feel is appropriate to do...

Peace Out!
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Fell free to delete any post you feel is Utter bullshit, ban me from the site,
cancel my account, whatever you feel is appropriate to do...

Peace Out!
Why would I do any of that? We started SFT because of over moderation
and other bullshit.

Say what you want, everyone has an opinion...

I am just sitting back enjoying my popcorn, really I was... LOL
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 AM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 477
Default

With all that has been said so far, I would buy a crate engine with a warranty to install instead of rebuilding it myself. These days anyway! Yes, I have rebuilt a few of my share in the past and got lucky they lived to last until I got rid of the vehicle. They included chevy, ford, and dodge motors. These days I would not take the chance on my skill to rebuild one as I have gotten too old to really pay that much attention to specs and proceedure. Not only that, I dont and will not take the time for the rebuild. I enjoyed rebuilding them back then when I was younger but now, it does not appeal to me to do it myself. Now, I rather pays my money and take my chances since a crate motor comes with a warranty where as if I rebuild it myself there is no warranty.
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
With all that has been said so far, I would buy a crate engine with a warranty to install instead of rebuilding it myself. These days anyway! Yes, I have rebuilt a few of my share in the past and got lucky they lived to last until I got rid of the vehicle. They included chevy, ford, and dodge motors. These days I would not take the chance on my skill to rebuild one as I have gotten too old to really pay that much attention to specs and proceedure. Not only that, I dont and will not take the time for the rebuild. I enjoyed rebuilding them back then when I was younger but now, it does not appeal to me to do it myself. Now, I rather pays my money and take my chances since a crate motor comes with a warranty where as if I rebuild it myself there is no warranty.
What is the fun in that?

Plus this is a great father son project.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-18-2019, 01:32 AM
arizonian's Avatar
arizonian arizonian is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,283
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I have seen them as well, have seen them hold up and have seen them snap
hell, I've seen stock Cummins cranks snap no reason what so ever!
Not flaming you, Wolfie, but there is always a reason. It may not be obvious or apparent, but there is a reason.

Peace Out!
__________________
Bill in sunny Tucson

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 2,885
Default

The only Heavy diesel cranks I've encountered that snapped could be traced back to Pinhead Yahoos with an Ether Fetish in cold weather
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 AM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
What is the fun in that?

Plus this is a great father son project.
I hear you. These days it is just not fun for me anymore. Yes, I agree that it is a great father and son project. Time spent with them is always a great thing.
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,612
Default

Pictures.

Cannot fine new fuel rails so these are getting sand blasted and repainted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2088.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	151871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	151872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2090.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	151873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	151874  
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,612
Default

a few more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	151875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	151876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2094.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	151877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	151878  
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 PM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
No, I would agree if it's a daily driver not intending to pull a trailer loaded seen too many 20/10 and 20/20 cranks fail. older models of course maybe the more modern cranks are tougher now... don't know that to be true but anything I would build for a work truck having to pul a load I'd stay with stock or turn max 10/10...

But then again these things are, all one's, personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Well, That's your opinion besides, you don't need to be a smart ass bully with your comments... we are talking a 5.2 gas engine here. I along with a ton of others including the machine shops that ground them have seen a 20/20 crank not hold up for one reason or another... SO! do tell me It's utter bull shit! been there done that and seen that... a time or two

There are a number of variables
as to why... mostly unforeseen variables that cause a regrind to fail
20/20 and under I have seen fail more than once... "here again personal preference" I prefer at most nothing reground more than 10/10 and not saying one of them has not failed or was without issue!
Maybe it's just you've never experienced it... who knows.



And yes it is personal preference. If I don't want to risk "possible failure" I won't and will not go more than 10/10 on a regrind! especially on a cast crank!
I never once said all 20/20 cranks fail either! said it was risky and it is "personal preference" for myself and for many others who are building engine.

It does not have anything to do with what the precedence the OEM sets...
that's like saying the engineer who designed it is always right and design is so perfect it can't and won't go wrong! or the shop that reground it never secres up or that the crank was improperly rewelded somewhere down the road and yours replaced with it...


I have seen them as well, have seen them hold up and have seen them snap
hell, I've seen stock Cummins cranks snap no reason what so ever!

So there really must be some reason you felt a need to piss on my opinion... And making me out to be an utter Dumbass... what, because you don't agree with my opinion!

Sorry, Ron. Didn't mean to misinform anyone! if others feel that way, And sure didn't intend on turning your thread into a flammable issue!

Fell free to delete any post you feel is Utter bullshit, ban me from the site, cancel my account, whatever you feel is appropriate to do...

Peace Out!
Please enlighten me as to where I was a bully?
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.