Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Scaffolding with pipe system clamps....

I was fortunate to find about 40 of these clamps at a local scrap yard Friday afternoon while I was picking up some square tubing for the FELs being fab'd.

I have used them in the past and they will surely make things easier for me to have 'break down' scaffolds for use around the place. I've always wanted a towable scaffold or a motor driven steerable scaffold system for gutters and access to getting on a roof. Things will be considerably easier to make that happen now.

These things are heavy and well made with little rust or age to show. The guy at the yard said he was tired of having to pick them up and keep them in one pile. I figured for a buck per, it was a good deal considering prices range from $15 to $30 depending where you get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001swivel_scaffolding_clamp_LRG.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	143592  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

How do these:
1. Clamp a cross bar ?
2. Keep from sliding down ?

I see these similar, but only overseas.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Many years ago we did a lot of work for a company that did staging work for large concerts and outdoor events. They used a variety of components depending on what they were doing but the "Cuplock" system was by far the most commonly used. We assembled thousands of feet of posts and connecter bars during that time. As far as I know the Cuplock system originated in Europe but, since it was far superior to most of the domestically available stuff at the time, it was very popular with the staging companies...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuplock-System-Scaffolding.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	143593  

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Lord of the Minions

You do not use the typical cross bars found with typical scaffolding. These are used for pipe that fits within the clamps pinching ability.

Believe me, there is enough force with the sized threads and nuts to deform the pipe being clamped if you get forceful.

Once in place it takes a sledge to get any movement out of them while installed.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

I was happy to bring these home as they will work on open ended piping of correct size and with a tad of side wall integrity.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 AM
Director of Languages

My auld lad would be very jealous. He has a bunch of H frames and pipe and a sack of those clamps but never enough clamps it seems.

Rarely used in the trades in Ireland today, only for cross bracing but still weirdly popular in the UK.

99% of scaffolding used here is kwikstage, only tool needed is a hammer.

https://www.rmdkwikform.com/ie/produ...kstage-access/
Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Lord of the Minions

I wanted the ease of take down and build up as storage under roof here is at a bit premium and I'm out of room.

It was with high hopes after the Step danger died, that I'd have all this extra room out at the farm and buildings.

What I quickly realized was that the only thing he added to the place was a Zero Turn mower, that I had paid half for. Everything else he used was mine. sigh. You guys have no idea the cussing I've done finding my rusty tools out and about where he last used them and walked away.

I'm pleased as punch to now have many extra of these clamps for that type of scaffolding and work. Will make things easy for an old guy.

Over the years I've pulled up and removed several hundred feet of chain link galvanized fencing for neighbors as back in the day, that was the fencing to have. Now I've got several hundred feet of the top piping and another several hundred feet of 6' and 10' pieces of 1 1/2" and 2" gal piping that is the same wall thickness as what we use for scaffolding at work. So, the expense now is nil for my scaffold needs.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 AM

Default coupler

these are called 'swivel couplers" used to couple two sections of 2"OD steel pipe at an angle with the capability of swiveling to accommodate any angle. Some of these couplers are rigid 90deg angle as well,without the swivel in the middle. You can also get 1/2couplers that have the one pipe clamp provision and a hole in the middle of the body so you can insert a 1/2" bolt thru the hole and bolt objects to the coupler..its a very strong connection when assembled properly
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room