Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Default "Plasma" Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52

Does anyone have a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52. Want to buy a plasma cutter, And I like this one. Anybody have good or bad comments for this machine.
Thanks Vernon
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
That HURT!

Vernon I can't comment on the TD machine. One of the things that needs to be considered when buying a plasma cutter is the cost and life of the consumables, and I think that HyperTherm has them all beat when it comes to that. I don't use my plasma cutter every day, but it gets used on a regular basis and I have almost a year on the current tip and swirl ring.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Vernon I can't comment on the TD machine. One of the things that needs to be considered when buying a plasma cutter is the cost and life of the consumables, and I think that HyperTherm has them all beat when it comes to that. I don't use my plasma cutter every day, but it gets used on a regular basis and I have almost a year on the current tip and swirl ring.
Thank you I just want a good working machine that I can count on. The consumables being cheap is a plus. Thank you Vernon
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Boiler God

Vernon,

Like Mack, I use and own Hypertherms, I had a TD a while back, and it was in the shop more than I had it. The local repair shop has lots of TD in getting fixed and very few Hypertherms. They say its because the circuit boards are sourced out of China, and the Hypertherms are made in New Hampshire. I know a couple of people that have TD units, they seem to work, but they like my PM1250 better.

jack
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Vernon,

Like Mack, I use and own Hypertherms, I had a TD a while back, and it was in the shop more than I had it. The local repair shop has lots of TD in getting fixed and very few Hypertherms. They say its because the circuit boards are sourced out of China, and the Hypertherms are made in New Hampshire. I know a couple of people that have TD units, they seem to work, but they like my PM1250 better.

jack
Hey Jack,
Thanks for all the info makes it harder than every Will have to read a bit more before getting something. I have a TD welder very nice suit case welder thats why I was leaning that way. But also have 2 very nice Millers also. Its so hard to buy things so many choices. Good or Bad
Thank you Vernon
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Vernon, I do not have any experience with TD equipment, most everything I have worked with is either Miller or Lincoln.
I own a Miller Spectrum 2050 plasma cutter, it has run since I bought it in 2007 without a problem once the learning curve shallowed up.
Buy a unit that is rated thicker then what you plan to cut. If you are cutting mostly 1/4" plate a unit rated at 5/8" for a quality cut will stand the gaff better then a unit rated for 3/8" will. Plus you can turn the heavier unit down but the smaller unit you can not turn up to cut 1/2" if you would need to.
Jack has posted a lot about the Hypertherm units and if I needed a smaller unit to carry with me I would most likely buy one.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Veron last winter i did some work for a potato farmer . one job was to rebuild a potato bulk box . he bought the plasma cutter you are talking about . first one ( and only ) i have used . while i was there about 3 weeks in all . it worked very well . i cut a lot of 1/8 inch rusty metal . and up to 3/4 inch on other jobs . imo this machine works well . talked to him about a week ago and he said he couldn.t do without it . never had any problems .

mind you ive never used any other kind . but i was pleased with the thermal dynamics