Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
Jeff at HTP said that this helmet is imported from China. Before importing it, HTP spent $4000 to get the ANSI Z89.1-2003 approvals. I haven't tried it, as my other three HTP helmets have me well covered (pun intended).

Not any risk involved - send it back if you don't like it (within 30 days) & get a full refund.
Damn, guess I should've called them as well...just knowing where it's from makes me want to return it...but I guess I'll try it first...their return policy is excellent. I just don't like taking chances on Chinese junk when safety is involved!!

Thanks for the heads (helmet) up!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

The ANSI cert means it's equal to Jackson/Miller/Optrel/etc. that have the same ANSI cert.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
The ANSI cert means it's equal to Jackson/Miller/Optrel/etc. that have the same ANSI cert.
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to give it a fair shake-out. And I don't expect it to be quite as durable as the bigger names simply from the bargain price. It will be a spare, not used as much as I use the Miller so it'll prolly be ok. I just get tired of all the Chinese crap you see these days...and they are so damned proud of it that they usually put stickers on it saying made in China that are typically impossible to remove . It's just like I said, when it comes to safety equipment I tend to prefer American made - not so I can go sue someone but because I feel the Chinese really aren't that into personal safety....anyone want to buy some Chinese milk?!?!?!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Curmudgeon

Welp, if you want to punish the Chinese communists then just be prepared to pony up another $250 and enjoy it.

You didn't really expect to buy an American-made helmet for $69, did you?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

Probably not Cutter, I'm more mad at myself for not verifying than anything....but again, I'm going to give it a fair shake and see if it's $70 well spent or not before I call for a missile launch against Beijing...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Curmudgeon

Well, I have a Miller BWE that I paid about $285 for 3 years ago because I needed the extra viewing area to line up my cheater with my bifocals but I also have a $100 Jackson apprentice (my first autodark) and then I found a Chinese autodark in a discount re-sale place for $10.
They all work just fine except the cheap ones are not shade or sensitivity adjustable.

The Jackson actually has a friendlier feeling headgear, IMO; it's lighter and more comfortable to wear.
Both of them are just fine as loaner helmets for onlookers.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

I like my Jackson. It has started to get a couple quirks about it though.

It's far from replacement since the headgear and shell are still in great shape. The autodark lens pack has some areas that don't lighten back up though--at $99 (if I can still find it) it won't hurt too bad to replace it. I would like to have something that has adjustable sensitivity though, without having to add cutting lenses in place of clear ones.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I just don't like taking chances on Chinese junk when safety is involved!!
Considering the Chinese, there is a change a brewin in production ethics over there. Most all of the product makers are suffering their own consequences of their in country politics. There's just more of them, but they have smaller bowls of rice.

TX1ton, if that helmet is truely meeting that certification and is bogus, you may well find a worthy helmet yet. It may not be on the same par as a $200 + helmet, but it will be functional.

I would imagine HTP must find some worth to them.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM

I should have it today or tomorrow, if I get any time out in the shop this weekend I'll post my impressions. What I did like about this one is it IS sensitivity adjustable. It also has UV and IR filtration so in Plasma cutter mode it filters the harmful stuff. And I liked the looks as well (though I care more about function the carbon fiber look doesn't hurt). It's fast too, 1/25,000 of a second, which is comparable to the other Striker helmets HTP has that cost well more. Let's try it out and see!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Well, the USPS Santa brought me a little present today... I've not tried it out yet but have opened it up and checked it out. First impressions are good. It was packed well, came undamaged. Inside the box where the helmet (bagged), a spare lens, instructions. Fits nice, easy to reach the sensitivity and darkness controls on the outside of the helmet. Fit fairly comfortably and so far, with what little I wore it around the house, the headband did not creep or losen on me. I like the finish too, it's a simulated carbon fiber finish. Not overly flashy but also a bit more striking (er, no pun intended) than a plain jane black one.

Tomorrow or Sat I'll get to really try it out and see how it does with some MIG work. I did notice that although it was advertised on Ebay as a 1/25000 second response time, on the box it quotes 1/30000th of a second...interesting!

Some pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTP Striker CF 001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	36588   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTP Striker CF 002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	36589   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTP Striker CF 003.jpg