Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:

Old 06-28-2024, 04:18 AM
Elite Member

Also, I think I want to be able to move everything any time I want. I'm thinking I want to put riser blocks under all my cabinets and tools so I can slide the pallet jack under. Should I weld tube to the bottom or just set things on 4x4 blocks?
Old 06-28-2024, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Also, I think I want to be able to move everything any time I want. I'm thinking I want to put riser blocks under all my cabinets and tools so I can slide the pallet jack under. Should I weld tube to the bottom or just set things on 4x4 blocks?

I’ve been putting most of my cabinets and stuff on 4x4 blocks to be able to move with pallet Jack too. Also have 3 smaller mills up on blocks too. But, I don’t have the shop quite figured out yet. The mills are a bit more difficult to use being raised up, but when I want to change the layout, it will be easier.

If you think you will be changing a lot, weld tubes to the cabinets. Easier than always moving blocks. Steel will last longer than wood too, generally.

Pros and cons for both setups. You can also make mini pallets using the wood blocks, and nailing some 1x material to the top, so they move the 4x4s when lifting with the pallet Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-28-2024, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
I spoke to the inspector today. He didn't mind how it got to the polebarn as long as it was q2ft up. I never thought to ask, since this is a protected circuit does the weatherhead have to be above the roof? The polebarn at 14ft is taller than the garage that will be feeding it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Overhead will be easier and cheaper overall probably. But, you will always have to worry about high loads, or trees coming down on the line.

Underground, cost more for the wire, ( I think) more work up front, but looks better when done. But if there is ever a problem, more work to find bad spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-01-2024, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

So yesterday I pulled my pallet stacker into the polebarn. It stopped working shortly after I got everything to the new property. Today I took it apart and officially made my first fix in the new shop!

When you pull the lever toward you, it closes a contact and powers the electric motor to pump the hyd fluid. When you push it forward it opens a valve to lower the load/forks.

When I dropped the powerpack from its mount I knew what the issue was right away. Water started pouring out of the switch area. I pulled the switch and cut 4 of the 6 crimps off to separate the halves. It was worse than I thought(pics in a bit) but I got it cleaned up and back together. While I was in there I made some new 6g wire leads, the old ones were garbage, but they worked.

Now my only disappointment is the stacker only goes up about 9ft. I was hoping I could set up pallet racking and have the top shelf at an even 10ft.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

Some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240701_170907.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	171251   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240701_173553.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	181.8 KB