Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Default Electric Motor Types and Overall Lengths?

Hey, all,

I need to replace the 1.5 hp motor on my Powermatic 64A contractor's table saw and I'm thinking of using a 2 hp motor. OEM motor is Type 56.

I found a Type 56 single phase 2 hp 3450 rpm TEFC motor but one thing that's critical is the overall length of the motor, because when you tilt the motor/trunnion to 45° the back of the motor (opposite shaft) gets close to interfering with passage of the wood over the table.

Can I safely assume that the overall length of one Type 56 motor will be the same as another Type 56 motor?

I've looked at diagrams showing all the dimensions for the various NEMA motor types, and verified that mine is a Type 56, but the one dimension that's missing from all the tables of dimensions I've found is "dimension C" below. I don't know why they even label it "C," since none of the tables show "C."

Can anyone advise me on this? I asked the vendor what the OAL is of the motor they're selling, but I guess they don't know how to use a rule...

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metric1.gif
Views:	58
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	150786  

Last edited by Wolfram; 05-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.