Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Default building a shop/home in an 8000sf brick building

i just love old buildings and even though i have a nice home and shop ive decided to move,i bought a big brick ice house,100 years old or so and i'm going to live in one end and work in the other,it will take me a year or so to build the living quarters and move all my stuff 3 hours away from my present home.
randy
Old 06-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Blast this!

Good use for a old building .Hope there is street level access available.Even though a lot of wood will be involved we all look forward to this small project.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

You know Randy, I have had that fantasy a time or two. There was a big deal here a few years ago of converting old commercial buildings in the dried up downtrown area into lofts, condos, townhouses, whatever. It got me to thinking about how much fun that might be. But I needed to so something quicker, easier and cheaper.
Good luck with your conversion. I hope you show us pictures as you go along.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Default building

my building has a ramp in the back so i can drive into the building,the building itself is 4' off the ground,loading dock style!3 big doors,12'x12',2 on the front,1 on the back.what i want to do is build gates,wrought iron style for the big doors,that way i can lock them and still get plenty of air flow in nice weather,there will be big steel and wood doors that we can close when heat or AC is needed,i'm not sure yet if i will have 2 doors on hinges or 1 big sliding door on each opening.
along the front is a loading dock,6' wide x 100' long.it will get a steel railing with a wire mesh,nothing too fancy.we like the industrial look but we want our dogs to be able to have access to the front of the building as well as the back yard,which is 1.5 acres.
lots of big skylights along with a new tin roof and then radiant heat in the floors,we plan on pouring a new floor on top of the old one and having all the plumbing and heat etc in the new slab. lots to do,not for the weak of heart,thats for sure!
randy

how do i post pics?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree
how do i post pics?
On the reply page, click the "manage attachments" button & use the little pop-up window to upload them to the SFT server.
You need to have your pictures pre-sized & compressed, etc. & saved in the .jpg format.

Or for a little more detail, read this:

" This is the easiest to use and it allows dial-up users to surf our forum faster because they can click on "view new topics" , for instance, without having to wait for imbedded pictures to download. Use the default option of the "manage attachments" button. Assuming you have your photos in .jpg format, all cropped, sized & compressed to suit you, click "reply" to open your posting window, fill in your text, click the "manage attachments" button, click "browse" in the pop-up window and negotiate to your picture file on your hard drive & click on the correct picture file. Click "upload" and wait until the red letters denoting your picture appear; the picture is now on the ShopFloor server and your link to it will append to your message. You can upload up to 5 images per reply.

Note: the photo itself will not appear when you preview the message; only the link will appear. After you submit the post and click on the links you can verify the photos. "

And finally, if you want to try my favorite photo software, you can look at this old thread:
Iview

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Default pics of building

i have some more pics,i'm resizing them now.
randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front doors.jpg
Views:	4103
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	13591   Click image for larger version

Name:	randy in front.jpg
Views:	4726
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	13592  

Last edited by madam X; 06-26-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: by request
Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Blast this!

As a old ice house the insulation may not be fire safe , but those things were ment to keep cold cold.May want to be careful on disrupting that for energy cost.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

Its not official, but let me say this. You suck. You're gonna be living in what my dream home will be someday. Old industrial place converted to living space with a shop.

Wont be too long and they'll be ready to abandon the upkeep on this building again and I can pick it up cheap. Old train depot. Right side would make good shop.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Default insulation

the insulation is cork,between layers of brick in the walls and under 6'' of concrete in the floor.
i'm moving from a home i've had for 33 years to live in a warehouse! and i love it!
randy
Old 06-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Default door pics

in the first pic of the big door,when i stand in that door i cannot reach those rusty bolts that go through the wall,on the left side of the door,and i'm 6'2'' and have long arms,those doors are big!
randy