Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Default Hoefer Mfg Drill Press

So I'm picking this baby up this weekend. It's a Hoefer Mfg machine. It's 3 phase, not locked up, and ginormous. That's about all I know. Looking for any insight from those familiar with this brand or type press. Also I'm hoping to change the motor out to single phase 230 if that's a possibility.

I'll get some photos posted tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dp side.jpg
Views:	3188
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	87078   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp rear.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	87079   Click image for larger version

Name:	dpblurry.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	87080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoefer.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	87081  
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

search under "camelback drill press"
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
no bull it's huge!

That one is just like our big one up at the farm! A word of caution for loading, transport, and unloading it's freaking heavy and it won't take much to tip over. Don't tie to anything that rotates to lift or tie down. If you lay it on it's side for transport use lots of blocks on the main frame so none of the levers or the quill shaft gets damaged. We are running ours with a 5 Hp single phase motor, it never has lacked for power. BTW do you get any bits with it? Our largest bit is 2 inch and it was spendy.
Now the big question is what did you give for it since we already have pictures.
Get a flat belt made for the feed mechinism you will really like it. We usually get the hole started and go do something else in the shop.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Gold Star Dad

In the last post on this thread, there's a email address of a guy who used to work at Hoefer:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rt-ill-115510/

I just found these posts through a web search. As far as history of Hoefer Manufacturing in Freeport, Illinois is concerned, I suppose that I am the youngest (age 68) person alive who worked at Hoefer at one time or another. For anyone who might be interested, I can provide detailed history of the company from the mid-1920s through the early 1960s when the company became a part of California Pellet. You may respond to me at <adrianandree@yahoo.com>.

Here's a pic of one posted by a younger generation Hoefer. You might be able to send him a message via that site. "I grew up in Freeport, Illinois and my grandfather worked as a machinist for his brothers who owned the factory. Presently I would like to restore the machine as much a possible - my original plan was to donate it to a suitable entity in Freeport for permanaent display."

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6886

It would be kind of cool to have an old drill press and get some inside information. Old ads shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

i have one that looks like yours,mine had a gear drive on the motor that drove a big gear mounted on the bottom pulley's shaft.
I took the big gear off and turned the teeth off and cut a "V" in it for a belt.
5HP 230 motor with a V belt now powers it.
What i need is 10' of 2'' flatbelt to make it drill.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Hey guys so Im giving $250 for the press and a 5 foot tall stand of tooling. The biggest drill in that tooling is 3.25 inches. It comes with a MT and Jacobs chuck! There is no lift of any kind where we are picking it up from so our plan is to bring some 2x4s and 2x6s and casters and build a dolly to actually roll the press around. We are going to build it to semi contour to the machine so that it can be laid on its side. I was told by the owner that 4 guys can lay it over safely.
So you guys who own one, is that going to be possible for 4 guys?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 PM
no bull it's huge!

Well we have pics, and price....... yep I think YOU SUCK!!!!
Our drill at the farm stands about 8 feet tall it looks like your is about the same. 4 guys to lay it down ummmmm no way, maybe 4 guys on the end of a 4 part block and tackle. Unfortunatly it looks like you don't have anything structurally sound overhead to help out. Do you have any buddies that might have a skid steer? How about an a frame hoist or a big cherry picker?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM

This press is about an hour from me for unfortunatley no, no buddies in the area. The owner advised me he does have a cherry picker, but I dont know how well it will handle this big piece.
As I've researced these it looks like the average weight is 800 pounds, I figured dropping the table all the way down 4 guys could manuever it down.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM

That's an awesome find and will be a great machine for you! I've wanted one for a while, but just can't justify a 3rd DP and my other two do everything I need.

Couple of suggestions/questions on loading:

You could use some old tires to lay it down on. They provide cushion and you can arrange them to allow shafts, handles, etc. to hang through the tires. I've seen powerhammers moved this way.

Is the roof structure suitable to use a hoist? You may be able to span several of the rafters/trusses with a small beam or c channel to spread the load out and then attach a hoist for lifting or to asssit with laying it down.

Nice score and keep us posted w/ pics!

EDIT: On second review of the pics it appears that the trusses may be wood, obviously exposed to the elements for some time, so the hoisting option may not be a good one!

Last edited by NC Fabricator25; 02-08-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Closer review of pics