Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 PM

Default How to remove 40ft shipping containers...

Hi, everyone! First time, here, and I'm hoping for some advice. I'm a teacher in Japan, and one of the beaches near me is now filled with smashed up 40ft shipping containers as a result of the tsunami. The area relies pretty heavily on tourism in the summers, but, obviously, with these containers sitting everywhere, that's not likely to happen. I've had some experience using an acetylene torch, so I'm wondering if any of you have advice about cutting one (or 30...) of these things apart. The metal is surprisingly thin (less than 2 millimeters), but there's a lot of it, and the pieces we cut it into would have to be small enough to be pulled out onto a road by truck, so that's a lot of cutting. Add to that the fact that some of these are in water (or just wet, depending on the tides), and it seems like it might be a bad idea...

Any advice/experience? You can tell people that you aided the humanitarian work in Japan!

Here's a link to the beach in question, with containers (and tsunami damage) clearly visible: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...10493&t=h&z=17
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

First
Welcome to SFT!
Second, you need to make sure that the owners of the containers have forfeited any claim on the containers or get an order from the local government to allow you to remove them.
Now O/A torches will cut them down to size, but a gas powered Demo saw would be a better choice for cutting the side walls and roof out of them.
Good luck and be careful.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
The Enforcer

Tourism?? With all the problems with the nuclear reactors in that country, I think tourism is not going to happen for at least two or more years.

But based on what I have seen in the link, I would suggest building some sort of skids to slide under the containers and drag them across the beach with a large front end loader.

Hopefully, there are winch trucks available in that country to load them on a trailer to be hauled off to the scrap yard. Of course, a front end loader can load them onto a trailer too if it is large enough.

Biden & Harris is our enemies favorite candidates

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvuskong View Post
Tourism?? With all the problems with the nuclear reactors in that country, I think tourism is not going to happen for at least two or more years.

But based on what I have seen in the link, I would suggest building some sort of skids to slide under the containers and drag them across the beach with a large front end loader.

Hopefully, there are winch trucks available in that country to load them on a trailer to be hauled off to the scrap yard. Of course, a front end loader can load them onto a trailer too if it is large enough.
If these containers are abandoned, I would bet that scrap yards would drag them away at no charge in hopes of finding valuables inside. Cutting them up on the beach is probably not a good idea.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Auction Addict

I'd be sure to look inside before letting loose with a torch. You may find there are flammables in them.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM

over here all you would have to do is put up a sign saying "keep out /containers for sale" and they would all get stolen over night!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Ain't that the truth! The way the Japanese people have handled this situation versus the way urban Americans have done so speaks VOLUMES...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
If these containers are abandoned, I would bet that scrap yards would drag them away at no charge in hopes of finding valuables inside. Cutting them up on the beach is probably not a good idea.

Best wishes to you.
Thanks every for all the advice! Unfortunately, the used/scrap industry is a little different here--basically, nobody wants it, especially if it's hard to get to or has be to taken apart. Front end loaders are also out of the question in this case, since we'd first have to get a crane big enough/strong enough to lift it over the seawall....well, that or watch the tides veeeeeery carefully and drive it over from a nearby beach. Even then, once the tide came up, it'd be in water! And we'd have some new scrap! Not to mention a hefty bill... All this means that, as far as we can tell, we have to cut these into small enough pieces to winch up and over the seawall.

We have been able to identify the owners of the containers, and are in process of getting their clearance/approval to cut these things up. We're hoping that the contents of some of them will be valuable enough to convince them, but so far, all we've found in these containers is TONS of tires (anyone need Nitto tires in pretty much any size/shape ever created? )
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM
The Enforcer

How high is the seawall??

You really do have a rather large challenge there.

Biden & Harris is our enemies favorite candidates

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Blast this!

Welcome to the site.Pictures are covered in #1 FAQ . We will want to see a few from this project. I would think a demo saw would cost less total than a torch .Tires ,well I am sure they could get moved over here if they were State Side. Labor will eat into this , if a profit venture , to move the cargo and dispose of it. Good Luck on the deal.

Be sure to check out these special sections of our site that you might not be aware of:

1. FAQ

2. Product/Equipment_Review_Index

3. Website Equipment,_Supplier_and_OEM_Index

4. Projects Index

5. Tricks and Tips

We look forward to adding your projects, tips or product reviews to these indexes in the near future.

Tags
acetylene, containers, japan, salvage