Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Anybody fabricated new slide rails for a rollback tow truck?

I recently purchased an F450 rollback tow truck with a century aluminum bed on it. Originally it had nylon slides in between the aluminum channel on the underside of the bed and the steel slides mounted to the chassis. Somewhere along the line the bed spit out or wore out these slides and a previous owner never bothered to replace. Since then it has been aluminum to steel contact which has worn the aluminum channel down substantially.

I contacted the nearest dealer to inquire about new slides and rails, which would have to be welded to the bed. They quoted me $800 per rail, so $1600 for 2 15' lengths of 5" c channel. The replacements are extrusions with a groove along the top and bottom inside of the channel for the slides to be mounted in. They have square inside corners rather than rounded sections inside normal c channel

I have all the necessary tools, confident in welding ability, etc. Just looking for info if anybody has tackled this before or fabricated these style channels from material sourced from a metal supplier or otherwise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	68287  

Last edited by cutter; 03-15-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: remove hacker link
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Hurricane..
not familiar with that particular brand but have seen similar applications... and the slide material that you think might be nylon could very possibly be UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) this stuff is ultra tough and very slippery.. not to mention reasonably priced... maybe you could buy some sheet and fix it yourself without major fab... or maybe the factory stuff is not too expensive... these look like wear parts...
Century is made by Miller Ind... here is a parts manual for one of their typical rollbacks...( Ref# 10 & 10A bearing pad kit pg VI-2 in the pdf)
here is the link..

http://www.millerind.com/parts/pdfs/...series1-06.pdf

as I said never worked on one (Jerr-Dan most popular around here) but I hope this helps..
Heiti
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Default Shoulda looked at your pic...

Oops

looks like yours might be a 10 series from your pic... here is a link to the parts man PDF

http://www.millerind.com/parts/pdfs/...y_10series.pdf

too bad you are so far away... coulda made ya a much better price.. and the welds would have been solid and pretty.. (Millermatic 350P w/25ft alumapro pushpull)

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Blast this!

Check suppliers I know square channel steel is available and Al should be. Can the pockets for the wear pads be welded additions rather than cut ins to the channel.Easier to do and repair .UHMV is expensive but can you remember to keep Oak blocks oiled ? I think that was the original idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM
trust but verify

I don't know the best answer to your question, but this is a great place to ask the experts:

http://www.tow411.net/

One of my friends mentioned he'd bolted steel channels under an aluminum bed years ago (scrappers are hard on aluminum beds and usually avoid them) but I don't
have more info on that.