Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

This weekend I got the septic hooked up and got a garden hose rigged to get water into the house. Still working on the water system as the previous owners manifold and globe valve assembly for livestock waterers had to go. Also the air seeder hoses connecting every thing. Air seeder hose is ok as a water line and is easy to work with and cheap, and I may use one piece, but I'm a pex kind of guy.

Finally completed the molding trim, and transition strips for the laminate floor we stuck into the bedrooms.

There is no such thing as paying too much money for a trim installer, IMHO.

I am going to redo the main power connection to the house as the box I used was too small to properly bend and fit 1/0 wire and make the job look like I want to see. I bought a new Ace gutter box and 100 amp terminal blocks in it. That will be installed sometime this week.
The kitchen table went over this morning, and we tried out this robotic vacuum that the kids bought us. The frickin thing wandered around for a while, went to the front door and tried to eat a doormat and sat there pouting with the mat hanging out of it. Back to the drawing board.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 06-09-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Today 8AM I had 6 kids in my yard armed with shovels and we got at the job of covering the 200ft of Teck power cable a foot deep done, and finished it in 3 hrs.
Now I will get the electrical permit and get the inspector to visit me.
Then I can complete the backfilling of the trench.
Been doing lots of little things, connecting the line for the sewage pump, putting in racks in the kitchen cupboards for herself, etc.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Today 8AM I had 6 kids in my yard armed with shovels and we got at the job of covering the 200ft of Teck power cable a foot deep done, and finished it in 3 hrs.
It's good to be the King.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Auction Addict

Good thing is the rest of the filling will be power assisted.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
It's good to be the King.
Yes. Watching while others worked holding a cup of coffee, I could get used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Good thing is the rest of the filling will be power assisted.
The cost worked out to $120/hr for the crew, not much different than a machine at $90/hr, and much more careful work was done then by machine. Once inspection is done, there is some of it that I can cover with the front end loader without knocking down a bunch of trees. but to bring the fiber optic to the shop, I have to trench another 100 ft farther. This does not need to be deep, or wide or marked, or inspected. I will get a small hoe from Home Depot for the day and use it to scratch the dirt into the power trench in the areas that the loader will not access easily.
I may also con my neighbor into bringing his baby hoe over.

I am planning to put the F.O. cable into a plastic pipe for the burial. I understand there are some precautions on pulling FO cable, such as no sharp bends, and then only take so much strain on the cable, etc.
This is armored, but still.....it may be a tricky deal to thread this into the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03873.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	151159  

Last edited by Ironman; 06-17-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Blast this!

Blow a string through then pull the FO cable . That is the way the tele cable people do it .
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

A piece of foam rubber and a roll of masons string can be sucked through a conduit with a shop vac. Thats how I got the 3/8" poly rope into the new house service conduit.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
A piece of foam rubber and a roll of masons string can be sucked through a conduit with a shop vac. Thats how I got the 3/8" poly rope into the new house service conduit.
Dan.
That is how I have always done it in the past.
Dealing with fiber optic is different. You have a glass thread that is somewhat flexible, can be broken, and does not stretch. They do have some protection for it, but pulling 150 meters from the end may be a deal breaker. The cable is about 1/8". The big boys have special power cable pullers that grab the kevlar only, but they also have the ability to put the end plugs on it, and I don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armored Fiber optic.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	151162  

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Elite Member

Pulling fiber shouldn't be a big deal over that distance.
The normal procedure is a shop vac at one end and waxed string with a grocery bag at the other. Then you tie on your "pulling tape" or a light rope and pull that through. Tape your fiber to the pulling tape (nylon no stretch flat rope) and you are done. Be gentle and don't jerk on the pulling tape. Have someone feed at the other end.
What is used in Saskatchewan is flexible ducting. That way you get gentle radius bends and you can use generic conduit fittings to terminate or join conduit.
Hope that gives a little insight.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythe4x4 View Post
Pulling fiber shouldn't be a big deal over that distance.
The normal procedure is a shop vac at one end and waxed string with a grocery bag at the other. Then you tie on your "pulling tape" or a light rope and pull that through. Tape your fiber to the pulling tape (nylon no stretch flat rope) and you are done. Be gentle and don't jerk on the pulling tape. Have someone feed at the other end.
What is used in Saskatchewan is flexible ducting. That way you get gentle radius bends and you can use generic conduit fittings to terminate or join conduit.
Hope that gives a little insight.
Thanks, Rusty.
I am going to use 1" black plastic utility grade pipe. Everyone thinks the problem is getting the string through the pipe. Not. I put my first conductor in a 100 ft pipe in 1974.
My lack of experience is with fiber optic cable. This is small diameter and as I showed in the picture, armored but delicate. If I fuck it up, it is only 150 buck and I get another roll, but I like to do it right if I can.
This a.m. I have been toying with the idea of running a CAT5 along with it and taping it to the CAT cable. If I have not scrapped the roll, I have/had a long enough length to reach. At that length it is useless as comm cable, but could function as intercom or phone cable as well as support for the fiber optic.

I have the transceivers and will be able to test it immediately after insertion.