Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-16-2020, 08:07 PM

Default love my mm210. However, next size up?

I've had my mm210 for years, I love it. However, I've been needing to weld 1/2" on a regular basis, and would like to get into spray transfer on the 1/2" and get a little more penetration. I don't need to go all the way up to a mm350. What would be the next step up from the mm210?

mm255 (230 A at 25.5 V, 60% duty cycle ) or
mm252(200 Amps at 28 VDC, 60% duty cycle,250 Amps at 28 VDC, 40% duty cycle)?

They seem comparable for the most part. The 255 has pulse, would be kind of cool to play with. On the other hand the 252 is rated as highest output in class.

Also, any issue with power? The mm210 runs fantastic on my dedicated line from the 2nd circuit panel which is also in the garage. I'm just assuming the new one would be fine as well.
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Made From Scratch

You probably want to stick with blue but I have been really happy with my lincolns and it looks like a 256 would be right in their ballpark at 250A/26V/40%. MSRP is about $2600. It is rated at 52 amps input where the miller 252 is 42 amps.
I find the Lincoln arc to be much more crisp and digs in better but it has been several years since I ran a miller and it wasn't their most popular model.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

I have had more than one bad experience with Lincoln. That being said they didn't become a giant by producing crap. I suppose I'm just lucky, lol.

That 252 is a fine machine. I haven't tried a 255 yet, but look forward to it. It would be nice to have a pulse machine. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 255 is more portable if that is of any value to you.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 PM

Have you tried to get spray transfer with the MM210?

It is capable of 24V which should get you into spray transfer. You will also need a higher percentage of Argon (80% or more).

I can easily produce spray transfer with my MM200 using Stargon (90% Argon 8% CO2 2% O2) shielding gas. The MM200 will go up to 30V.

The thickest I've done was 5/8" and I was using 24V. Welded beautiful.

If you are going that direction, get a cylinder of gas and give the 210 a go. It may surprise you.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Post Fiend

I had a MM210 w/3035 for a number of years. Bought from our LWS Holox (then Linde, now Airgas). Put a 3545 snout on the 3035. Worked well but I needed a better spooler so got a lightly used, 2yo MM252 which has been a good machine and supports the 30A.

In hindsight, I should have bit the bullet and got a MM350P with push/pull. Might have paid for itself by now... Has features like "hot start" which is nice for Al. Swapping guns to do steel would have been problematic but infrequent.

There is a little programability in the MM252 but I never use it. On-demand gun once you press the trigger. 95% of what I do is 3/64 4043 done with the spooler, 5% with the M25 running .035 70S6/C25. I have it dialed in on steel and get a nice bead on 1/8"-3/16", NO spatter at all...

I don't know anything about the MM255 so can't advise you there. The last Miller I saw at an auction was a Sync 250 and it went for ALL the money--over $2Gs I believe. When I sold my MM210 I actually got MORE money for it than I paid for it NEW so they hold their value well. You sure you need to sell it?

PS: no power issues on my 50A circuit feeding the MM252

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-18-2020, 06:36 AM

I guess I thought that while the mm210 could technically do it, it wasn't really something you should do, running it at max output. But hey I'm willing to try it. There are no settings on the panel, any idea where to look for a good spray chart for the mm210? Is it somewhere on the miller website?
Thanks!
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_S2 View Post
I guess I thought that while the mm210 could technically do it, it wasn't really something you should do, running it at max output. But hey I'm willing to try it. There are no settings on the panel, any idea where to look for a good spray chart for the mm210? Is it somewhere on the miller website?

Thanks!

--Bob

It depends on how much you are going to use it in spray mode. If as a hobbie, maybe an hour here and there, is a lot different than 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Standard of Excellence

Also, think now if your needs might change again in the near future. Might consider going even bigger now instead of having to buy again. I have not overrun my XMT304 yet, but a/c tig would be nice. I regularly mig, spray, and stick weld with it
Perhaps a Miller 350P would suit you and keep you for longer.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:59 AM

For .035 wire at 24V try:

Wire speed from 375 - 550ipm.
Shielding Gas flow rate of 35-50cfh.
Contact Tip recessed about 1/8" in the nozzle.
Contact tip to work distance about 3/4".

Start high on the wire speed and adjust down.

Keep a good supply of contact tips on hand when you first try to dial it in. If the wire speed is not high enough or the work distance too close the burn back will melt the end of the tip.

When you are in spray transfer it will sound like hissing rather than the crackle of short circuit.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...c-with-a-mm210