Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 01-01-2024, 06:08 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Default Miter saws for the four letter word...

I was raised/trained using a now 40 year old DeWalt 10" miter saw that only went left and right to 45°. A few years ago a nice, almost-new but used 12" Craftsman saw wandered into the antique shop that added the compound to one side. I didn't get to use it much before some asshat decided he needed it worse than us in the middle of the night.

Even then, the sliding saws were still sorta new and I didn't know how I felt about them. I've only used one once. The big issue I seem to notice with them is how much more space they take up when stored. Those rails sure do seem to stick out no matter what direction you point them.

Now the "thing" seems to be the sliding saws that are battery powered. Makita does not have one that works with my 12v system. Ryobi seems to have a few options that use the 18v One+ stuff. Still not sold on the idea of a saw like this performing well cordless.

I hope that this will be the last time I ever have to consider this purchase, so spending a bit more for something quality is higher on my list. Anyone have a saw (or at least features) that they'd suggest?

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-01-2024, 06:30 PM
I can dig it

For an occasional user like most of us would be, I would stay with corded. Cordless would be great for carpenters and trim guys that are moving site to site and loading up and unloading each day, and have a bunch of batteries for the same platform.

I have a 10” makita that is on rails, and yes, it makes for a ‘deep’ unit when the rails and travel all are factored in.

It has worked for everything I’ve needed. I understand that the larger saws come into effect for doing large crown mouldings, something I’ve never dealt with.

I put my saw on a canadian tire stand, makes it better to use as it has supports for the longer material, but still somewhat portable. I’ve had that setup now for ten years or more.

Now that we have the 12’ x28’ loft space, I think the saw is going to get a designated space up there, and the loft will be a bit of a storage/woodworking area. Most of my ‘wood’ projects are small enough they can be done there and carried downstairs, and for larger projects I can still bring the saw back down, and use the stand. Being a long narrow space, it will also work for the little portable table saw I have, and still be able to rip sheets of plywood and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2024, 08:44 PM
The Real Deal

They sell battery adapters to run on just about everytthing
Old 01-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I have a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw, corded. I like it a lot, the stand meh... but it is not the dewalt stand.

I will get the model number later.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-01-2024, 10:54 PM
Made From Scratch

I bought a lowly Kobalt 12" slider with compound miter back in about 2015. I gave $199 for it at lowes and it was tighter/straighter than the $500 hitachi but not quite as good as the $600 dewalt on display on either side of it.

My purpose at the time was to cut aluminum channel to build a flat bed for my truck and hoped that it would live through that. It did all that and not only survived, but has done a lot of wood projects for me, and cut another decent sized pile of aluminum as well. It is more than accurate enough to run basic trim and finish cuts, I have not tried any crown moulding with it or done a lot of compound cutting.

The laser on it sucks and was never accurate no matter how I adjusted it and I have since just forgotten it is there.

Whatever you go with I would get a slider. A lot of times I will mark my angles in pencil and not worry about what the degrees are. With the slide I can roll the blade down my pencil line and confirm I'm dialed in.

I would also go with a 12 inch saw. There are ridiculously good blades for less than $50 now and the overall size/weight of the saw isn't much different when you drop to a 10"
Old 01-02-2024, 02:51 AM
Director of Languages

Some of the saws available nowadays have the rails fixed and forwards and the saw head slides on them as opposed to the traditional fixed bae with sliding rails. Takes up less room.

The ultimate in compactness is the Bosch parallelogram saw which is "not cheap". I think rigid make a knock off version now, but no idea how good it is.

Personally I have a love hate relationship with my saw. It's as big a 10 inch slider as you'll get, it's great when it's setup but my gosh does it need room.

DeWalt used do a 12 inch non sliding saw with the motor offsetthat always looked tempting to me but it's not sold over here. I find I only use the mitre saw for smaller boards anyway so most of the time the sliding is wasted as the skil saw or track saw are going to suit heavy or light wide work respectively
Old 01-02-2024, 08:47 AM
Elite Member

:-) If you hve been using a Radial Arm Saw for the last (almost) 60 years there is no urge to buy one of those machines. :-)
...lew...
Old 01-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Urban Gunfighter

I'm deep into Ryobi stuff. If you jump, get at least 4Ah batteries (they are decent and run my 10" chain saw remarkably well).

Directtoolsoutlet.com is the site to watch for sales and deals on Ryobi and Rigid stuff. They are very good to go. I will say to watch pricing on packages, and refurbished vs blemished. The prices vary, and often don't make sense what you can get for your dollar. Like recently 6Ah batteries were cheaper for a pair pack of blems than individually bought refurbs... or a pair pack of tools for $42 with battery and charger, where one individual tool was way more.

Sent from my SM-G986U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 01-02-2024, 11:41 AM
Urban Gunfighter

And to add in, I grew up with a 15" Hitachi non sliding non compound miter saw. Never wanted for more, but couldn't do some of the more complex stuff you can with a compound slider.

Sent from my SM-G986U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 01-02-2024, 12:03 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I have a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw, corded. I like it a lot, the stand meh... but it is not the dewalt stand.

I will get the model number later.
I have the dewalt stand, but no adapter pieces to connect it to the rail. Those were attached to the Craftsman. It's a really fancy sawhorse now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
:-) If you hve been using a Radial Arm Saw for the last (almost) 60 years there is no urge to buy one of those machines. :-)
...lew...
I do love my radial arm saw. It has been mounted in the same spot in the shop since it was built in '76. Like everything else out there, it's buried up enough that it takes a lot of cleaning before I can use it. When we built cabinets everyday it was in the perfect spot. For most of my projects now, the portability of a miter saw is required .

I'm not looking to do much 'pretty' work these days. Crown and fancy baseboards/trim are a pain in the ass to keep clean. Since I'm not doing anything for other people I don't have to do better than paint grade cuts. Mostly I'll be using this to speed up cuts on framing-grade material, 2x6 and 2x8. I have a pallet full of the stuff that needs using or disposing. I also have one little section of laminate flooring that needs completing in the house. The 12" blade seemed to work great for that.

Wade's Custom Kydex