Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Just coming to the site, this was a real shocker for me too, even though I know of Zinc fume fever, I did not know it would kill.....To get rid of the zinc on something, you can put 'Muriatic Acid' on and it will dissolve it pronto. You must neutralize with water and then a good 1lb baking soda to 1 gal of water bath. If you don't neutralize, it will start rusting as it dries. The fumes can be nasty, but not like burning it off. Do not pour water into the acid, as it can violently react. If you want to reduce the strength, pour the acid into the water. This is also a great way to get rid of rust, but you have to neutralize....if you are dipping into the acid, make sure you use plastic buckets and keep off of concrete. You can neutralize the acid with the backing soda bath when you are done, so you are not having to store an acid bath. Don't leave or use this stuff near anything you don't want to rust or have the zinc removed from, as the vapors are heavy and will attack nice shinny steel real quick. Hope this helps, Paul
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Hi All,
I'm also new to this site though I've lurked for quite a while. When I make lap joints where I can't acess the back side to seal or otherwise protect the area from rust I always use a weldthrough type primer. Is this as dangerous as welding or burning galvaized coating?

Larry
Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by largely
Hi All,
I'm also new to this site though I've lurked for quite a while. When I make lap joints where I can't acess the back side to seal or otherwise protect the area from rust I always use a weldthrough type primer. Is this as dangerous as welding or burning galvaized coating?

Larry
No welding fume are good or safe to breathe, limit any exposure to them. If the primer you are using contains zinc, then yes it will be a big problem.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Arrow i am glad i read this

OK now it seems to me that i can remove galvanize and live to tell about it. if i understand what paulrbrown said correctly is to put muriatic acid on the 50 gal water tank i have, then neutralize it, then i should be able to use the tank to make a smoker/cooker ? yes ? No ? maybe ?
Campbell Hausfeld 115 Mig
Victor Journeyman
Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Director of Security

I just ran across this thread today. It started before I came to the site.

Jim "Paw Paw" Wilson was my dear friend and mentor in the blacksmithing world. We communicated almost daily for several years in matters of iron work, history, past police careers, you name it.

Although we only met in person 2 times it was like losing my own grandfather. A retired Special Forces Sgt. Major, he had a second career as a police officer, and a contractor, and later became a blacksmith. All of which he excelled at.

When we first communicated by e-mail some years ago, we didnt know each other at all. But, when I mentioned that my wife was having cancer surgery the following week, he told me "You tell your wife that come tuesday morning, there is a crusty old blacksmith in Winston-Salem that will be on his knees praying for her and the surgeon". That is the kind of person Jim Wilson was.

Thanks for letting me sound off a little bit.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Director of Security

Default Safety reminder

Just wanted to bring the safety issue of working galvanized metal back to the front for the benefit of our newer members who might have missed this thread before.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 PM
tnfarmboy

Thanks Brian for bringing this back up. I would have missed it otherwise. Like many others I have welded Galv. several times before. I usually ground the weld areas and back 2 or 3 inches or so. A few times I got in a hurry and didn't. I didn't like the thick yellowish smoke and the ash that was left on the steel. I figured it wasn't good for ya, but didn't have a clue that is was deadly in relatively small doses. This thread may have saved my life, because in the future I will be very careful around it. Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 PM

I was just getting ready to build a 'Lively' washtub forge and had asked about the implications of building a forge out of a galvanised washtub over on Bladeforums without any real responses besides 1 guy saying he was going to burn it off and another who said that with the refractory it shouldn't get hot enough.Better safe than sorry I say and I will be using the acid trick, and digging up my old post on Bladeforum and spreading this info.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenshawjm View Post
OK now it seems to me that i can remove galvanize and live to tell about it. if i understand what paulrbrown said correctly is to put muriatic acid on the 50 gal water tank i have, then neutralize it, then i should be able to use the tank to make a smoker/cooker ? yes ? No ? maybe ?
I would not use any galvanized material to make a cooker/smoker.

Buy yourself a new tank, or make one from metal that is not galvanized. Be smart and use metal that has not held materials that are dangerous for human consumption.

The fumes from pouring the acid solution on the galvanized aren't so great, either. Not only does it smell really bad, but the fumes are caustic and you will have a nasty chemical burn if you breathe enough of it... that chemical burn will be inside of you.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM

I was on the Hobart site earlier (I know, I know) and responded to a post regarding removal of Zinc from metals to be welded. I was foolish enough to reference this thread in response to a very senior member (he's a member here also) that he just welds over it 'cause it "goes away in 24 to 48 hours" and he'd never had a fatal attack of it. He responded as if I'd attacked him personally which I didn't intend to do.
Then another member (who's also registered here reminded me that Jim had always been a smoker. As if that didn't describe many of us. ( Especially us geezers, you know who you are.)
Then another senior guy told me that Jim didn't die from MFF, he died from pnumonia,and I shouldn't bring up this subject any more but rather should search that site (Hobart) for info I could believe in. Also said Jim was STUPID (his emphasis) and got what he deserved.
So,
I guess I can't believe anything I read here from now on and I sure won't be going there (Hobart)
But it probably won't matter 'cause I've certainly done my share of stupid stuff and deserve to die for it.
Sorry for the length of this rant.
Larry