Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
King of Procrastinators

Here's what the Nation Fuel Code says about pipe hangers and spacing:

For steel pipe: 1/2" nominal 6 ft spacing of supports. 3/4" or 1" nominal 8 foot spacing. And for smooth-wall tubing (nominal in O.D.) 1/2" - 4 ft and 5/8" or 3/4" - 6 ft and 7/8" or 1" - 8 ft.

If your using CSST follow the manufactures recommendations. Of course, if your code authority has stricter guidelines follow them.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

Running your own fuel line should not be a problem. The gas company here will come out, hook up the meter, and clock the meter before lighting anything. Of course we are just backwoods people here, and common sense is what we go by. I think I like it here.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Holder of only Official Titles

ok...So I ran the pipe... pressure tested it 15 lbs for 1/2 hour... did fine. left the air in and came back today, guage at 12... is that bad?

Not only that, but I spent all day farting around with nipples and 90's to make it go around a corner and off a deck, and the guy says,"can you just drill a hole in the deck and go straight down? It's only money man... it's only money. So I will have to redo part... Still though, what about losing 3 lbs over the weekend.. is that something to worry about? I think the actual pressure is .5 lbs or something like that.... could I have lost that through the ball valve in the kitchen?

I did build a tricky deal though... I took a piece of 3/4 black pipe and welded a washer to the end. Ran a piece of roundstock though that and welded the roundstock to an old forsner bit (1 1/4") and used the pipe to center and push the drill bit the length of the wall I was drilling... the result was a nice straight line of holes through the wall and no fighting black pipe to get it through the wall...

I think when I am done, I will use it to harpoon a whale... I kinda looks like one....
Old 08-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Losing pressure is bad, but a lot of things can affect it. Temperature differences between night and day will bring the gauge down, but it will come back up as the temperature rises. I have seen some new gauges that will have a slow leak inside the gauge.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 08-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Voice of Experience

If it holds pressure for 15 minutes consider it a done deal. Foot cited a few things that would affect pressure over that length of time. Also, if you still are worried do a soap test at all joints. But that is why they put mercapton? in NG.

If all else fails your nose will alert you..

Most areas of the country don't run more than 1/4 PSI. You could hand tighten the joints using rector seal and not get a leak...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Well, I will re-run the pipe down through the deck and re-test it, then we will see how it works...

THanks for the advice guys... this is easier than I thought it would be. You think gas, and you can get freaked out, but it was't that tough.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM

OK,

had to re-route the pipe, the guy wanted it straight down through the deck, tested it and it held 15psi for 2 days... perfection. Now the stove is hooked up, and I took the tester off, and the instructions for installation say that I need a regulator that will drop the pressure down to 0.5 PSi or 14inches water column. Only trouble is, you call Maytag.. nope, they can;t help you, I called all over the dadgum place, and I can;t find a friggin regulator that goes from my bottle to the piping I just installed... anyone know of a place that I can just get the darn regulaor, already set to the right PSI and so I can just hook up the hose to the house?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Pit Boss

See if this link gives you any information.
http://ops.dot.gov/regs/small_lp/Chapter9.htm
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
from the land of fruits and nuts

I always bought regulators from the local propane company.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

You'll probably need a two stage regulator. You can find one at your local RV supply.