Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Shop tunes?

Ok so what is everyone using for shop tunes? (ie:radio,satellite,tape,CD,etc?) Stereo systems relocated with or without SWMBO's approval? Lets hear or not hear what you have and how it came about..favorite listening material?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM

I just canceled my satelite radio after 20 years, the prices kept going up and the program quality kept going down, now I'm streaming music with Amazon prime music, Jango and a few other apps, I make my own stations. My current stereo is pretty lame but my ears don't know the difference.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Elite Member

I have a small Bose system in my shop little box big sound and depends some day just listen to local RR station and CDs and once in awhile ill stream some music to it... and being we have no noise restriction here day or night but out of respect for my neighbors I tone it down after 7pm if I even have it on but usually only listen to it when we are BBQing or working in shop on week ends not so much during the week.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Post Fiend

Big Bluetooth speaker, WiFi and pandora handle all my tunes.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Elite Member

Just have a old $5 garage sale magnovoix radio/ cd/ tape. Usually just have a country radio station playing. Mostly for background noise, but usually turn volume up more than at work. At work, I prefer the radio volume is kept low enough so you can talk to coworkers when necessary, but need some background noise for when the shop is quiet, which isn’t really often.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 PM

I have a few components in the shop. A CD changer and 200 watt receiver. 4 speaker array hanging from the roof. I like to hear it with the ear plugs in.

It also helps keep people out. Kinda like a pest fogger. if its an old pest I'll drop in some Type o Negative. I think the album is "Bloody kisses" The oldsters don't last long. I've got several selections from the Hackberry Ramblers that drive the youngsters out fairly fast. I value the solitude it creates.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I'm running Spotify Premium through my phone, connected via bluetooth to a JBL Charge 3 speaker my kids/wife got me last year. I've really enjoyed the thing and it goes almost everywhere I do. It's particularly helpful when I'm out at the range all weekend as it has a huge battery that can re-charge my phone/tablet multiple times.

It's loud enough that we stream the college football games on Saturdays and can hear it on both shooting lines (with digital ear pro at least).

It's not so loud that you can't hold a conversation, but if it is you don't have to walk over to turn it down. Easily adjust it through the phone instead with the regular phone volume control buttons. I thought it was kinda pricey when I saw the bank charge where they bought it, but it's been well worth it.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Made From Scratch

Up until maybe march of this year I had an old 2 deck tape player/radio sitting on the bench that I would occasionally throw things at when the station wouldn't come in. It handled an amazing amount of grinder dust and the occasional flying wrench but finally died
I went and bought a cheap CD player/radio at meijer for about $15 and have been trying to treat it a little nicer so far. I also wear a set of the work tunes headphones that serve as hearing protection and I have those on a lot.
At some point here I am going to have to invest in a satellite radio or get a tablet or something I can stream music on. The local country stations are approaching unbearable and the one rock station that comes in plays a song here and there I like but for the most part isn't my thing.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

SXM streaming Ozzy's Boneyard. All I need is my fone and a BT speaker.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Amazon music and a nice Bluetooth speaker

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner