SFT Search:   

Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
I would just call these guys.
They seem to know their stuff.
Where was this pic taken?
A friend down in Fl was a house mover and he was working in Jax Fl moving houses along the St Johns river.
They put the old houses on barges just like the pic and floated them downstream somewhere,to be set back up for preservation.
Getting the houses on the barge was done at low tide,after the barge was winched in at high tide,and a causeway built out to the barge.
He had hundreds of pics,a very cool project.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Lord of the Minions

Met with all three gents this morning and this afternoon.

The Mover/Lifter showed up right at 08:30 as promised. I like prompt when it's my waiting time.

Had a good conversation and got a semi-game plan to be considered once I get his phone call Wednesday for a quote. Depending on said quote there could be one of two smilies used at time of that posting. or , or . We'll see.

The Engineer/architect and big rig man were equally pleasant visits and discussions.

Both pour pads were walked, the settings of the containers placements discussed and will have more than a package to make a decision on with respect to the large growth trees in the yard. I'm wanting to take advantage of what's there for the final look.

Serious discussion was had for a 3 stack of containers, placed end to end, on one end of the condo to allow for a perch on top to contain a covered protection and mechanical opening of said covering. My hopes is that this will suffice as an observation room for my telescopes, small and the largest. G' wires and thought on placement and look are first to be considered.

Probably no more involved than a double clam shell using electric winches and cables to swing apart and hang over the sides of the upper container. Nothing of this could not be built in my shop.

Adding a small walk area on top of a container would give a 15'x15' area for movement and storage.

As most of these containers will sit horizontal there will only be 1 or 2 to be on the third level/story. I'm sure I'll be looking at an open basket elevator for the upper floors and less likely to find a want for any spiral staircase. I hate steps.

The container work is long term with only the pad pour to be done first and soon.

The house is first and will see the most effort of will.

I as well was given a name for a gent to clean and prep the metal roof for a new coat of cover and protectant and a call was made at that moment to see when he could be out at the place for a looksee and offer prospects of products used and a time line for the work to be done. I'm sure I'll agree with the experts and do this last bit to the roofing 'after' the house has been raised and leveled.

For the house it was suggested that there will be a need for anchors at the bottom of the house if a full 28" to 36" of lift is to happen. Added wind resistance as you go higher etc.

I'm discussing the addition of a raised deck along the full front of the house rather than a pad at ground level for a more 'cajun' country look for the front. The existing patio will have the same discussion, but I'm not particularly considering this in a hard line fashion need.

I can picture opening a door from the kitchen, walking out and sitting on the deck, watching the sun come up or flipping off passersby on the road.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM
Lord of the Minions

The actual work of getting tools and tooling are underway. There are a few things needed to begin this lift work.

A winch towed mucking bucket and rake, a winching system setup for two sides of the house running underneath, remote control system for the winch with a key fob controller and no wires to connect to either, a ply sled to be pulled back and forth for me, tools and other media for the placement of pads, a low profile dolly for hauling piers/pillars and pads etc. with wheels and a large dispenser for iced tea of at least two gallons.

The list of things to do prior continues to grow by the minute.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I have seen the princess auto version of that control used to control the functions in a live carriage High lead logging show. The ground man had a control and used it to get the line needed to set the chokers for the lift.
The cab operator also had one to use if he needed to control the carriage once it was away from the ground man IIRC with good batteries and a much better antenna on the receiver they got full functionality over a 1000 ft range.
Not DOT approved but that is not a communication channel so I doubt anyone in the bush will ever be interfered with and know enough to figure out what is happening.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thanks Terry, I'm hoping it will work for what I'm wanting to happen. Will save me hours of crawling on the belly of the beast.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:53 PM
One Lone Sub

Slusher box! Ive never heard of such a thing.
Then again, I don't hang out in mines
Very interesting.

Safety 1st Mr. Hiway.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Lord of the Minions

Slusher,mucker,dirt mud scooper outer from under.........it should be a winner for my needs.

With the winching out and under and from either end should cut my time in half for what would normally be taken with the crew I have of one.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

I cannot answer as to where the house on the barge PIC was taken.
It is just one of those seen and saved internet things.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
They used washing machine hoses to extend the water, truck inertubes for the sewer, and flex stove hook ups for the gas.
I was good to go with most, but the inner tube use for the sewer lines is a great fix for that problem. Nice mention for the tube use for sewer. Thanks as I had not thought of this. Great idea. I was thinking I'd have to deal with the inside outhouse prospects and was not really looking forward to this.

Although I'll only be able to get to the first 3' running outside of the house that is right at ground level, but good enough for the tubing to be set in place and hose clamped in place.

It would seem that the first tube cover the toilet exit pipe and then 10 or so inches of the out side connection to slip into the pipe going into the septic tank. Then a second tube covering all including the outlet to the tank to decrease the likelihood of spillage and from having waste catch on the tanks entry pipe edges.

All bases covered with pre-lift pre-extensions for water entry, gas entry, house basin and tube drainage, all electrical running out of the house to other locations fixed but no attached and of course waste/sewer.

I'm fortunate as well as happy knowing that the ele line from pole to meter base needs no attention with the exception of the ground wire going to ground. It's time to upgrade this as well as the original ground rod is actually a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe driven 6' into ground.

After the lift I will have the utility come out, and replace the wire to complete that upgrade. I'm thinking a larger cable clamped and soldered and wrapped going to a new suitable and code ground rod will safely work until the lift is complete.

I'm much happier now with this last idea offered.

Even if I keep myself at the 24" pier/pillar height, I'm still having thoughts of anchoring the sides of the house all round with possibly 6 or so running down the middle as well. I would guess suitable strapping would suffice in lieu of cables etc.

A plan is happening, long in list, but happening.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 04-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Lord of the Minions

It was mentioned by the mover/lifter that they used crushed concrete for the underlayment of the pads and pillars/piers which I had already planned on doing.

Now you guys know why I'm building a concrete crusher. It's not to sift gold. lol