Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Director of Languages

been busy at work today, not much time spent dreaming, but i've started framing out the sides in sketchup.

its a really fun easy to use frustrating as hell program
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walls framed.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	20399  
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
SFT Brewmaster

i put up a 20' x12' pole building and it has 3 trusses in it that are made of wood. ...if you want pics for ideas , just holler and i'll wade through the snow and snap them for you.

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Curmudgeon

For the last 2 weeks I have been hearing a lot of banging & sawing from across the alley. Then late last week this little storage barn began to rise. Turned out the guy have been paying rent on the little metal 6x10 that is making it's exit in the 1st picture. Note the framing in the 2nd one; it's probably a 12x16 (feet, not meters) & about 12 ft tall. But it's all 2x4 framing except for the east-end header, hand nailed, too. I don't see much sense in building a storage shed that tall unless he plans some sort of loft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	skyline2.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	20402   Click image for larger version

Name:	skyline1.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	20403  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Director of Languages

boilerman:

that would be much appreciated thanks, but wrap up good and warm first.

Cutter:

I'd agree it looks tall but would be handy with a loft. any chance of some more closeup pics of the joins in the roof? do they have some sort of ply gusset or something on them?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Cutter -- one of my old neighbors build a shed like that. Home Depot had plans that he used.

John -- yes, we used 1/2" plywood gussets on that first bend. Fairly large gusset with 6" on both studs. Plenty of strength (construction glue, nails).

On the rafter I was going to use a raised ceiling in the shed, but more I looked at it there was a problem with keeping the side walls straight, and the roof on during high winds. My concern was the occasional high wind. Research said a tie brace 1/3 the way up was reasonable. (i.e. peak 4' above side walls, tie brace would be little of 1' above the side walls). Another option was a Scissors Truss To give the interior a vaulted ceiling.

As it turned out my shed was cheaper to build with conventional truss (which also kept the local building inspector very happy). I'm in the county, but under city building codes (City wants our permit money, but refuses to run water or sewer to our area!)
Old 02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

We used to get those barn type rafters pre-fabbed when I worked at the box store here. If I remember correctly they were tied together with a metal rafter plate nailer. Nothing real special about them, and they could've just used a gusset out of OSB or similar and nailed and been just as effective. Often times moving them around the yard they had a tendency to fall apart anyhow and we had to beat them back together.

Most times the folks around here buy that type of storage building more for looks than function. Very few of them actually take advantage of the overhead space, but there is an option at the sales counter that'll provide the "kit" to floor in a loft for a considerable upcharge.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM

They've been building like crazy around here. Old neighborhood is 25 years old, new houses are suddenly the "McMansion" area (6000 sq ft house???). I don't get it but my scotch ways kick in when I seem the construction guys fill a dumpster up with prime wood! They built headers out of 14' long x 2x10's. Then cut down to 10' and toss 4' into the trash! Yep, snagged a few of those headers and viola have "engineering overkill" headers above my doors in the shops interior.

Sigh I remember building with my Dad where we knew every inch of wood we be going, you never cut a long board for something 8" long, etc. These guys will cut a STACK of 2x4's 2' long when they need a bunch of 2' long pieces... yep, 6' long boards in the dumpster?

House across the street from me has a stack of blue insulating foam. Came home one day to find it scattered down the street. Picked it up, took it back to their site, but some large boards on it. Next day the guys take the boards... and blue foam is all over the place again? I finally told my wife if it blows onto our yard one mre time, I'm claiming salvage rights! [I feel sorry for the contractor on this job, his clients keep changing their minds half way through things, but I would have fired the clients long ago and moved on]

Then again as long as they don't mind me raiding the dumpster for trash!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundrocktom
John -- yes, we used 1/2" plywood gussets on that first bend. Fairly large gusset with 6" on both studs. Plenty of strength (construction glue, nails).

On the rafter I was going to use a raised ceiling in the shed, but more I looked at it there was a problem with keeping the side walls straight, and the roof on during high winds. My concern was the occasional high wind.
thats what i figured alright, the style of roof is not an option either from an aesthetics or planning regs point of view but the construction style is definitely interesting.

your second point is why i am planning to mix and match the wood and steel as i feel the central steel A will add much strength to the walls and stop the walls from wanting to push out so much.

I won't actually have trusses between the steel As, i will use purloins for want of a better name between the As with the rafters laid over these (i know there's a better name than purloin but i sure as hell cant think of it)

this roof

is sixty something feet long. it has i think three steel As sitting on top of the walls along its length, the As are joined by a length of box on each side of the roof, the length of box has a 2x4 bolted to it and the rafters then run from the wall plate (big plank on top of the wall, dunno what ye would call it over yonder) to the ridge board, resting on this wood/steel midway support. their is no horizontal timber tying each pair of rafters.

(then again the walls are over a foot thick stone)

i hope i'm making some sense, i know the terms used are probably different over here, but i spent most of my final year in college watching the old yankee workshop and this old house etc on discovery (lectures are grossly overrated, believe me) so i have a fair idea of the way ye do things.

i do find it kinda funny/ironic that on a welding site the use of steel in my building is being discouraged

anyway hopefully over the weekend i'll find time to do some more drawing which will hopefully make more sense.

Cheers,

John

(ps i dont plan on doing the groundworks until paddy's weekend, so there's loads of time to change my mind)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shedroof.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	20436  
Old 02-15-2007, 03:02 PM

John,

Looks good. Building material will vary. Local elementary school (K-5 aka 5 to 11 years old) was designed with Steel. When steel prices went through the roof, they did a "redesign" in the middle of the building to prevent some huge cost overruns.

Building materials have taken a commodity pricing around these parts. My 3/4" plywood 4' x 8' roofing material went from $12 to over $27. Last time I checked it was back down to $18.00.

Just glad to have my buildings up and dry!

Tom
Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default John ...

Well , paddy's day is not that far away , and your terminology is just fine , anything we don't understand we will ask about . Steel prices have us gun shy over here , I got a quote on a the steel to build a trailer for a friend and it has changed four times and will probably change a couple more times before I order the steel . The beams I need for the lofts in my new shop have me thinking of buy the beam and doing the fab work on them myself , would have to buy 40(12.2m) footers and cut them down to 27'(8.22m) . I would use the drop pieces for something so it would not be wasted . The cost of the beams has cut the lofts from two to one , so the budget does not explode . But I am going to put in the hangers for the second loft so I can add it at a later date maybe .
Tom , pieces keep fluctuating I am having dizzy spells trying to keep track of them . I will purchase what I need to get the shell up and then do the siding later . I am going to use steel for the roof and just hope I can get it before the price jumps again
John look at this Link . This is the system I am going to use , just another way to build the basic pole barn . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank