Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Roving Reporter

Default Dimple dies - a simple lathe project

It seems dimple dies are the latest flavor in the hotrod/body work world. They take light sheet metal, drill it and put a few holes in it to lighten it even further, then use these dimple die things to throw up a ridge around the hole to stiffen the new rib or panel.

Like any specialty toy tool, they are exorbitantly expensive for what they are.

Since I have more time than money lately, and I also have some 2" HR around, I decided to try to make a set for no other reason than to prove I could.

I decided the maximum hole size I could flare/dimple would be 1 1/8". 1 1/8" for the hole 3/16" on the radius for the flare/dimple, and the rest for a 1/4" land around the edge to straighten any distortion in the panel. The 37 degree bevel for the dimple was something I found on the net as recommended for Aluminum. I set the compound by eye and protractor to cut the bevel.

Seems to work. The dies are through drilled so a dimple can be made using a bolt for power. The hydraulic press would also work as the die set is pilotted to keep the two halves aligned. Quickest is the arbor press. The arbor press is all I needed to dimple the 18 guage Al flashing I have laying around.

Now I have a tool in search of a project.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5281.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	136679  
Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 AM
That HURT!

Dimple dies have also worked their way up to the upper portion of my project list. I plan an making a set of dies from 3/4"-3".

I plan on being able to dimple 16ga steel and plan on using 4140PH for my dies.

I have a connection at one of the major steel suppliers and gave him a list of the drop sizes I want and I should have the material in a week or two. If all goes as it usually does I should have a nice set of dies in about a year or two.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM
I can dig it

Hmmm, seems like flipped over it would look like some of the steel walking surfaces that I've seen on stairs and walkways.

I wouldn't want to do a bunch that way, but could be a handy option to have on occasion.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Dimple dies have also worked their way up to the upper portion of my project list. I plan an making a set of dies from 3/4"-3".

I plan on being able to dimple 16ga steel and plan on using 4140PH for my dies.

I have a connection at one of the major steel suppliers and gave him a list of the drop sizes I want and I should have the material in a week or two. If all goes as it usually does I should have a nice set of dies in about a year or two.
Have you come up with the profiles yet?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:50 AM

Nice work. I want to make some larger ones but my machining skills are not there yet.

I have a set 1/2" - 2 1/2" or 3" from trick tools iirc if anyone would like me to measure them.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT