Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Boiler God

Default Different Results For Tool Companies

In the last 2 days I have talked to 2 of the major named tool manufacturers in the USA, with totally different results.

Monday, I called Armstrong Tools, I have a #11-903, 3/8" drive ratchet, that needed a repair kit, so I was directed to customer service. I explained that I had picked up the ratchet used and wanted to BUY, a repair kit. After about 5 minutes of her tapping numbers into a computer (loud enough to be heard through the phone), the answer was NO, the ratchet was discontinued a while back and there are no service parts available and as the non-original owner, I was basically SOL. That is a little disconcerting as I own about a dozen similar Armstrong ratchets.

Tuesday, I called the Snap-On toll free number, to ask about buying replacement handles, I'm have a case of the infamous shrinking screwdriver handle syndrome (a well known and documented disease). After a short delay, nope, none available, but they (Snap-On) would be happy to send out replacement screw drivers to replace the original ones. So they are sending out the 2 screwdrivers, free of charge, and should be here in about 5 days, then the local Snap-On district supervisor, will stop by and pick up the damaged ones. No muss, no fuss, what more could I ask for?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
In the last 2 days I have talked to 2 of the major named tool manufacturers in the USA, with totally different results.

Monday, I called Armstrong Tools, I have a #11-903, 3/8" drive ratchet, that needed a repair kit, so I was directed to customer service. I explained that I had picked up the ratchet used and wanted to BUY, a repair kit. After about 5 minutes of her tapping numbers into a computer (loud enough to be heard through the phone), the answer was NO, the ratchet was discontinued a while back and there are no service parts available and as the non-original owner, I was basically SOL. That is a little disconcerting as I own about a dozen similar Armstrong ratchets.
Does Armstrong make tools for any of the other "brands", Mac or Matco or SK? I have never heard of Armstrong. I just recently started seeing Cornwell tools this far south. Had never heard of them before.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

I have a few armstrong ratchets, but I don't see them anywhere and I wouldn't know where to buy them. I cant believe they don't have repair kits. Probably if you get the right person they can find it. Another good tool manufacturer that you don't see is proto. I like their tools.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
the answer was NO, the ratchet was discontinued a while back and there are no service parts available and as the non-original owner, I was basically SOL.
Just for s&g's....I would call armstrong back, and NOT tell them your not
the original owner (lie) and see how they handle things.

Curious how they handle replacements when none available.

You were upfront and honest to a tee.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
I have a few armstrong ratchets, but I don't see them anywhere and I wouldn't know where to buy them. I cant believe they don't have repair kits. Probably if you get the right person they can find it. Another good tool manufacturer that you don't see is proto. I like their tools.

Proto is now Blackhawk. I have a few Proto ratchets.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM
there has to be an answer

I have to agree with your point. You got HF service for a expensive Pro Grade tool. They hurt themselves with you and all the SFT people that have read this thread - you're an opinion leader.

Quote:
From Armstrong site

Quote:
If any Armstrong Hand Tool (except Torque Products) ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return it to your Armstrong Distributor, and it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
Warranty page
It might be worth taking it into the distributor on your next trip to their store.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

You could always call back and ask for tech support. Maybe if you got someone other than a phone "receptionist" you'd get farther.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

You almost make me want to call Snap-On direct myself. I have some Snap-on tools left from my dad's set. One is a 1/2" torque wrench that no longer works (the ratchet part worked, but not the torque part) and the local Snap-on driver told me he can't do anything. They do not make that model anymore, and will not replace it. Even took it to friends shop who buys more frequently from their driver, (I don't buy Snap on anymore, just try to keep the tools I have working, always tell myself I can't afford the snap-on brand and still keep food on the table for my family). And they were told the same. I wonder if I would get the same results direct from headquarters?

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
You could always call back and ask for tech support. Maybe if you got someone other than a phone "receptionist" you'd get farther.
she was customer service/tech support, it was obvious she knew her stuff, I got an email from a guy on another site, they said the same thing to him about 3 months ago, that series ratchets in all sizes are completely not supported anymore.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancherBill View Post

It might be worth taking it into the distributor on your next trip to their store.
The only local Armstrong distributor is Fastenal and they told me to call direct. The 2 other local industrial suppliers are of no help, one is an active Wright dealer and the other seems to be a somewhat reluctant Proto dealer (has the catalogs, signs and banners, but doesn't actually stock any of the tools.