Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Curmudgeon

Default the Whiteboy Snatched some tires

Old Mulva the Jeep is getting a little skinny in the tread and we're both pretty tired of those noisy all-terrain tires she's been wearing out for the last 5 year or so.
As it happens Jake and I stumbled across a deal on our way to the park yesterday; Steve, a guy 3 blocks down Avenue U, was outside installing some new fence panels & had a stack of Cooper 235-15's sitting beside his new red truck.
He said he decided to junk out his old truck but had bought this set of tires for it about a year ago so he kept them.
And yes, they were for sale.
So we made a deal & I took him a check later in the day.

I decided to forksnatch them home instead of bothering with a trailer. This was a real treat for the little Whiteboy since he rarely gets to leave my yard except to bring a little firewood in from the alley.

1. The tires & wheels just fit into the firewood basket & ran a loop around the mast.
Steve was tied up on the phone so his wife supervised the loading. She didn't seem to know what to make of my machinery.

2. Let me in!

3. Into the staging area to wait for Armando to show up next time he think's my yard needs hacking down.
He works for a tire warehouse & usually drives their service truck.

4. All done. I want to put these tires on the Jeep & sell the Ford rims, then save a pair of the Jeep's tires for the logsplitter.
I have a pair of rims off a Suburban to mount them on.

5. Whiteboy is resting, all proud of himself again. I rewarded him with a new sparkplug, in advance.

Jake says to tell you all that Kevin ain't the only one with a handy tractor around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5365.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	75582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5366.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	75583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5369.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	75584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5370.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	75585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5371.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	75586  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Boiler God

Damn, I got to get one of them!!

jack
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Nutbuster

Rod, That Fork Snatch is the handiest thing for moving things I have seen. I like that tractor because of its size. Sometimes the tractors I have are just too big to do some jobs. The towmotor is a PITA to use off the driveway even with the air tires. Sometime maybe if I get some of these dumb little jobs out of the way I can build something like yours. I would like to build something like that 4 wheeler Camdigger has. Then I could drive in the barn and use the bucket to scrape the manure out.

The tires look like they're going to work very well on the Jeep.

Going to work really has been getting in the way for doing my projects. LOL In order to get these projects done I need more time off. LOL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

My wife calls the little tractor the "Tonka Toy", he doesn't have as much character as Whiteboy, and his last two jobs were not a glorious as Whiteboy's. Hauling a dead goat and then two dead geese out to the coyote patch. He was proud to show his flashing lights as he was on a public for a mile in each direction, and he didn't complain about the job because he knew it had to be done. His chest swells a bit too when he tells other tractors that he single handedly leveled all the gravel in the new shop.
Three cheers for all the hard working little tractors.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Nice lookin guard hound there. Post a picture of Mulva with her new shoes when you can.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Auction Addict

The local bubbletops don't give you no hard time about drving it down the street?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 04-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Damn, I got to get one of them!!
jack
Jack, I agree. Everybody should have a forksnatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman56 View Post
Rod, That Fork Snatch is the handiest thing for moving things I have seen. I like that tractor because of its size.
Kevin, I'm well aware that anybody with serious business to do needs more capacity that this little toy has.
Nevertheless, around my little property, the Whiteboy is just about all I can maneuver around. There are times when I wish I dared try to lift more with him but 90% of the time he'll do what I need done and since I can't left much of anything, that's really important.
There are also times when I wish I'd rigged up some power steering. That tiny steering wheel is cute but it doesn't give me much leverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floptop View Post
Hauling a dead goat and then two dead geese out to the coyote patch.
Oh Garet, I can't imagine how thrilled the Whiteboy would be if he could drag a dead goat around just once.
He'd be so thrilled he might never get over himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
Nice lookin guard hound there. Post a picture of Mulva with her new shoes when you can.
Poor Mulva isn't that photogenic, Mike; she got beat up pretty badly in a hailstorm 3 or 4 years ago & I'm not really interested in spending money on cosmetics for a 17 year old Cherokee.
Her finest attribute is that she's mighty paid for.

Jake, on the other hand, now he's photogenic.
I can't take 3 pictures without him finding his way into one of them.
It's kind of a mystery how he does that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The local bubbletops don't give you no hard time about drving it down the street?
Well, I don't really know, milo.
They'd probably want me to stick slow moving triangle on the back but they have to see me before it becomes a problem.
I'd be more interested in installing a rear view mirror if I were to make a habit of running around out there on the street with the cellphone addicts.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

Cutter,

Good deal on the tires. It appears that you have way too much room in your shop according to the last picture. If you have not gotten to the point where you have to move item A out of the way so you can move item B to get at and use item C, you need to attend more sales and auctions so you can buy stuff that may have a use some day. Nice shop supervisor you have there...........Austrailian Shepard?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Nice shop supervisor you have there...........Austrailian Shepard?
Nope Pat, Jake is a more likely a Mexican Goatherd.
I found him 7 years ago when he was a homeless puppie over there behind my old shop building.
He has the size and markings of a border collie but the coat and other characteristics that lead me to believe he's half Lab. He has the sweetest disposition of any dog I've ever lived with. A little bit shy with strangers and as well-mannered as they come.

Early this month I had to take him to the vet & he enjoyed the whole experience; he got to see all kinds of fascinating dogs & people. As soon as they invited us back into an examination room, Jake gave them a voluntary urine specimen without even being asked.

Just Keep Walking

Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Nutbuster

Her finest attribute is that she's mighty paid for.

Rod thats the very best thing. It runs and drives and its paid for. Who cares about the mud and hail dents.

Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.