Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Default Ex Mark Mower to Power wheel barrow/ log splitter

Thought I'd post some pics of a project I started yesterday. I was given an Exmark walk behind commercial mower for free. It has a newer 12.5hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I'm in the process of cleaning everything up making minor repairs to make it run as a mower. My next plan is to make a dumping wheel barrow that will go over the mower deck. I also have the need for a log splitter (rent one every year) I'm thinking about making a splitter attachment for it too. Maybe unhook the "wheel barrow" and hook up the splitter? Would belt drive the hyd pump off the belts that run the blades? Two bolts and the blades drop off. Would be nice to have a small hyd cylinder dump the wheel barrow too. Just in the early stages of the project not very familiar with hydraulics and their calculations will have to do some SFT research. TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exmark1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	40262   Click image for larger version

Name:	exmark2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	40263   Click image for larger version

Name:	exmark3.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	40264   Click image for larger version

Name:	exmar4.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	40265  
Hypertherm 65
PlasmaCam 98z
Enco 7x12 bandsaw
Delta Industrial 16 1/2" Drill press
Lincoln precision Tig 275
Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM

The big black plate is for the bagger (which I don't really need). The belt for the blades is under that square cover with the two bolts sticking up. I also need to make a sulkey (sp) that bolts to the back and you ride on. The levers on the handle control the drive wheels grab on and the belt slips and you turn that direction. There is also a gear shift on the right side and the blade control on the left.

Wondering about using a factory built wheel barrow or custom building one to fit. Should it dump forward or sideways or both? TB
Hypertherm 65
PlasmaCam 98z
Enco 7x12 bandsaw
Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Searching for the Standard of Purity

Universal machine that I would need is snow blower lawn mover leafs shredder all in one.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Sounds like you got quite a bit of figgering & tinkering to do, Travis.
Yes, you can belt-drive a small hydraulic pump like the 2-stage Haldex/Barnes that Northern pushes for splitters. But you need a good green belt and you have to really snug the belt up so you'll need to mount the pump with a mechanism for adjusting it reliably.

Floptop did a masterful job of outlining the basic math for small hydraulics for me on the Forksnatch. I found that page so you don't have to go digging through the whole danged thread to read it.

Northern also has a hydraulics primer on their site & that pump I mentioned has served me well on my little splitter for 6 years of more, running off a 5 hp motor.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Cutter I was just reading some of those threads! Any other thoughts on connections to a vertical shaft engine? with out the use of belts? I'll have to get some measurements on possible donor cylinders and hope the people who are better at math step up to help. TB
Hypertherm 65
PlasmaCam 98z
Enco 7x12 bandsaw
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Curmudgeon

They sell an adaptor for your motor that the pump mounts to, and you use a lovejoy coupling but you'd have to pull it off the mower to use it. I don't think it'd be a very good idea to route the hoses down under the mowing deck.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
shoprat

Default Rated for pulley side loading?

Double check that the common barnes 2 stage pump is rated for taking the side load from a belt drive. But, except for logsplitting (which takes much higher hydraulic flow, pressure, tank size, etc) my favorite CHEAP, EASY, hydraulic pump is the common as dirt GM (and many other makes uses it too) Saginaw power steering pump.

The one to ask for is the "remote" tank style (90 1 ton Chevy G 30 Van) It is ~$70 rebuilt = $30 from junkyard with pulley and bracket. Stock it puts out ~1200psi at 3 GPM. (~5hp gas engine HP required)(It is capable of more pressure and flow, but that is another topic) This is plenty for even fairly large dump trailers, (~20-45 second dump time, for a 6ton truck hoist, is still faster than not having any power dump)

There is an $20 adapter fitting available that lets you connect a -6 JIC hydraulic hose to pump. Log splitter may be a better stand alone machine project. mark
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Shop Rat, can you mount that pump "flat" so the pulley would be in line with the other belts? Or does it need to stay vertical? I'll have to look at where the shaft comes out of the motor and see if there is room for to run the pump off to the side of it maybe drill a hole in the motor deck bolt pump down on top with shaft sticking down to pulley. I realize the log splitter is a long shot but I thought it would bve interesting to try. TB
Hypertherm 65
PlasmaCam 98z
Enco 7x12 bandsaw
Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Travis, the pump don't care about orientation other than the restriction that it is for clockwise rotation so you have to respect that. It can be sideloaded up to about 50 pounds, iirc. You don't need that much. I remember I called Haldex at one time to ask about sideloading & I think that's where I came up with the 50 lb spec. It is rated at 3000psi, 11 gpm at 650rpm, max of 3600 rpm.
It is a sturdy little pump.

One limiting factor is the short shaft, I believe it is 1.5" long, .5" diameter & has a supplied woodruff key. The stubby length is adequate so long as you're not trying to mount it through overly thick stock. A longer shaft would just make it more vulnerable to excessive side-loading.

You can get the dimensions & mounting specs from the Northern site.

Here is the Northern page on basic hydraulic theory.

Just Keep Walking

Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM
shoprat

Default Pump mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichdoc View Post
Shop Rat, can you mount that pump "flat" so the pulley would be in line with the other belts? Or does it need to stay vertical? I'll have to look at where the shaft comes out of the motor and see if there is room for to run the pump off to the side of it maybe drill a hole in the motor deck bolt pump down on top with shaft sticking down to pulley. I realize the log splitter is a long shot but I thought it would bve interesting to try. TB
The Sag power steering pump has a ball bearing (on the front end) so it isn't going to care about the thrust load created by the mass of the vane section.

The remote "tank" style lets you fab a ~ small (~ gallonish) tank and mount it anywhere (above) the pump. This would be plenty of oil for a small dumper.

The dirty secret is that vertical shaft engines, and often the machines that use them, are treated like a disposable item.
You got a FREE 12.5 hp unit, It will not be hard to find several more very cheap!! (very often you will find discarded smaller riding lawnmowers, which thus have battery charging coil and electric start) Then build what you want. Build one into a dumper, use the engine from another for a log splitter, build a Veldernator, build a 12 battery charger/ light plant (add a big inverter and have a inverter generator/back-up power, jump starter, flashlight from hell).

Even if you eventually have buy a new "replacement" engine, the verticle shaft units are much cheaper than the horizontal shaft versions.

A good cheap use of a Five-ish HP vertical shaft lawn mower engine and Saginaw pump would be as a hydraulic power unit on a tow behind dump trailer, easily built for almost "free", and the kids won't steal it for their go-kart. mark