Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Pottery kiln for heat treating?

Has anyone tried using one? Looks like it may produce a more controlled heat but slower. I see them show up on auctions. Thanks in advance. Maybe just looking to satisfy the tool bug and get one more thing I don't already own.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
I can dig it

I haven’t used one, though I have used several electric heat treating ovens.

I don’t know max temps for kilns, I do know they use a LOT of current. They are also large, which is part of the reason for slow to heat.

With heat treating, it’s a slow process at the best of times, and a good process, IMO, is more important than a fast one.

Being able to accurately set temps is also good for things like stress relieving or annealing.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn View Post
Has anyone tried using one? Looks like it may produce a more controlled heat but slower. I see them show up on auctions. Thanks in advance. Maybe just looking to satisfy the tool bug and get one more thing I don't already own.
This might help kiln will work but depends on the material size and Rockwell hardness your trying to achieve. most kilns will go 1500 to 2800 degrees.
and as greywynd. mentioned, one might good for things like stress relieving or annealing.
http://www.lakesidepottery.com/HTML%...uturerange.htm

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the one that got me thinking about this has 3heat rings with lo, med, hi settings on each. Probably a non issue for me because potters will probably have more $ than a hobby blacksmith.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Missed the close on the auction. The kiln went for 250$. Maybe next time.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn View Post
Missed the close on the auction. The kiln went for 250$. Maybe next time.
Just hold on to your shorts and don't bother looking for one!
It is when you want one bad enough they always seem to be snatched up before you get a chance to snatch it up your self... or priced out of reach for the project or tool funding you might have...

I find this to be true most of the time, for my self and others I know... unless your well off and money is no issue and can just throw cash out ant anything ya want... yep I know quite a few people like that too. and those are the same ones who either get bored with such things and sell off for almost nothing or throw them out to the roadside for free...

Point is don't be in a hurry to grab one up. 250 for a used kiln is a bit too much JIMO.
I have seen 2k units go for 50-100 bucks lots of times. and being I have no use for one anymore, I gave two away that was, given to me because I no longer do any knapping and a kiln is what I baked my flint and chert in.

Just be patient and you'll see one will pop up that is perfect for what you want or need and heck it might even be an on the curb just come and take it or 50 bucks.

In the back of your mind keep your eyes peeled on CL, offer up, and other local classified sites available to you... you might get surprised what will pop up when you're not in a hurry to get a certain item...

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Just hold on to your shorts and don't bother looking for one!
It is when you want one bad enough they always seem to be snatched up before you get a chance to snatch it up your self... or priced out of reach for the project or tool funding you might have...

I find this to be true most of the time, for my self and others I know... unless your well off and money is no issue and can just throw cash out ant anything ya want... yep I know quite a few people like that too. and those are the same ones who either get bored with such things and sell off for almost nothing or throw them out to the roadside for free...

Point is don't be in a hurry to grab one up. 250 for a used kiln is a bit too much JIMO.
I have seen 2k units go for 50-100 bucks lots of times. and being I have no use for one anymore, I gave two away that was, given to me because I no longer do any knapping and a kiln is what I baked my flint and chert in.

Just be patient and you'll see one will pop up that is perfect for what you want or need and heck it might even be an on the curb just come and take it or 50 bucks.

In the back of your mind keep your eyes peeled on CL, offer up, and other local classified sites available to you... you might get surprised what will pop up when you're not in a hurry to get a certain item...
As local sage Sonny Arnold used to say, "You can't push a piece of string".

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
As local sage Sonny Arnold used to say, "You can't push a piece of string".
I always notice when I think I need something really bad and search high and low and watch al the deals I can't reach at the moment slip away through my fingers I would get frustrated. but learned the best deals usually linger and the dog gets the bone with the meat on it...
it took me a while to learn if I wait I end up with something much better and sometimes for free...

Old 03-09-2019, 08:33 AM

I have been there as well finding something later at a better price. The main point of my post was if anyone is using a kiln for this purpose.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Elite Member

All the pottery kilns I've seen open the top. That seems very "unhandy" for heat treating . Getting the part out is going to be uncomfortable at best. :-)
The heat treat ovens have a front opening door that works quick and effortless.
...lew...