Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Amalgam

Default Air compressor info

Hey you guys,
I received as a chrstmas present a “very Good” Home depot gift certificate. I went to the store and looked at this Husky 7.0 peak HP that offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 with a 60 Gal vertical tank. As many of you should know by now, I just work on metal sculptures at a hobby level, and I need the air compressor to operate cutter tools, grinders, and a sandblaster. I have read some tools requirements and most of them are in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 SCFM at 90PSI. However, some time ago somebody told me that many of the information on the compressor labels is not quite reliable. Therefore, my question is should I believe everything I read on the Husky label? If that is the case, is this compressor good enough to operate those tools?
Thank you so much for any info.
Alfredo
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 PM

Amalgan
From what I understand it wouldn't be a 7.0 HP motor probably made in China.
Is it single or 2 stage?
Get a 2 stage if you can afford it you won't be sorry, you'll probably find more uses for it than you know.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 AM

That tank has a fairly large reserve of 60 gal, the actual air capacity on that compressor is probably around 7-8cfm@90psi. Just get rid of the regulator that comes with the tank and replace it with a nice sharpe dryer/regulator. That should be good for most shop operations. The only area that it might fall short of expectations is with sandblasting. Unfortunately to get a compressor that can supply that much air usually costs an arm and leg.

Also, is it an oil-less compressor? If so, they have a shorter lifespan than an oiled compressor. They are also extremely loud.
-Rich
Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 AM

The short answer is, it depends. I'd be most concerned with the sandblasting. They sell a head conversion to bolt onto a ford small-block that might provide more air than you need for that

"7.0 peak HP" means, if you jam a small animal in the belt, just before your wires melt and your breaker pops, it might, just might draw 22 amps.

The compressor that you are looking at is a twin cylinder single stage, splash lubricated. They brag about 1070, or is it 1020 RPM. Not really that slow but certainly better than a direct drive unit. As a comparison, a commercial unit would run at 500-750 RPM. RPM=noise and reduced life but not probably for your intended use.

Being that the campbell hausfeld marketing weinies are still try to sell with "peak" horsepower, I'd not trust the compressor to put out the CFM stated. Then again, wasn't CH one of the companies involved in that lawsuit for false claims

I'd also suspect the ratings on tools, especially the low priced chinese ones. They seem to draw alot more air than claimed.

Back to the "peak" HP. Look at this ad. I know it's harbor freight but look at the rated HP vs. the peak further down and also look at the CFM. There really is no beating HP when pumping air.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3848
Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Banned

Alfredo, without looking at the machine itself, I'd say it will probably deliver around 6 honest cfm@90psi.
That said, there are more important questions about the compressor.
Is it belt driven, and if so, how fast does the compressor itself turn?
Direct drive compressors can be forced to deliver a lot of CFM, but have a short life span.
2 stage is definitely superior to single stage, and will live a lot longer.
What material is the compressor itself, if not cast iron, does it have a sleve?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Curmudgeon

Headnut is telling right, Alfredo. I believe the one you were looking at is this one:
Store SKU# 710098 Husky Model VT6314
(If I try to copy their website links I get those crappy 4-line things that usually don't work), but that is the 60 gallon belt-drive unit that matches your specs. Yes, they are lying about the motor by using that song & dance about "peak horsepower" when it is probably a 2 hp 220 volt Chinese motor. It is adequate to turn the compressor & this is not a bad unit by today's box store standards. It is not a professional grade by any means but would probably give good service to most home shops. Notice it is rated at 5000 hours service, 3 year warranty.

If you can possibly swing it, the next step up is a true 2 stage 80 gallon unit that will do what you need.
Store SKU# 746892 Husky Model HS7810
Although the motor has the same description, the pump is a major difference.
Unfortunately, it also costs $420 more, but it is quite a bit more machine and can deliver the quantity of air you need. They say it is rated for 10,000 hours. Oddly, they do not advertise the warranty life, saying instead to call their Internet Customer Service Center at 1-800-430-3376 for warranty information.

You probably need to be sure that you have an adequate power source for either one of these, Alfredo. Find out how many amps those motors draw & also be sure you can deal with the weight, especially the 80 gallon model.
I wish you lived closer; we could find you a old sweetheart like Headnut's but if wishes were fishes the whole world would smell like a dead fish, wouldn't it?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Curmudgeon

Franz, I'll try to post those damned links & see if they work. Both pumps are cast iron.................

Nevermind the links got garbled; Home Depot's website is about as uselful as most of their in store "sales counselors".

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Reposted below.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."

Last edited by cutter; 02-15-2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: bad links
Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Curmudgeon

Ooookay, Franz says the links don't work.
here is the one Alfredo was apparently referring to:
Store SKU# 710098 Husky Model VT6314

And here is their blurb from the website:
HUSKY
7 Peak HP 60 Gal Husky Compressor
Model VT6314

A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It also has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home garage or work shop. The compressor also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, pre-plumbed globe valve, pressure switch, and tank pressure gauge.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
• 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
• Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard
• High quality oversized gauges
• 1070 Pump RPM
• Three-year limited warranty
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves
Internet/Catalog # 167502
Store SKU# 710098
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky single stage.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	2557  

Just Keep Walking

Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Curmudgeon

And here is their 2 stage offering:

HUSKY
7 Peak HP 80 Gal 2 Stage Compressor
Model HS7810
A solid CAST IRON, oil-lubricated pump for extreme durability. Offers 175 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 15.1/13.7 SCFM @ 90/175 PSI. The unit has an 80 gallon ASME code tank for more stored power and it also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, control panel with tank and outlet gauges, pre-plumbed globe valve, and pressure switch. This compressor is ideal for a small business or shop!

• Up to 10,000 hours of extended life
• 80 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
• Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to power multiple tools
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• CAST IRON pump
• 1225 Pump RPM
• High quality oversized gauges
• Metal cage protective belt guard
• A traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves
Internet/Catalog # 167504
Store SKU# 746892
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky 2 stage.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	2558  

Just Keep Walking

Old 02-15-2005, 08:30 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Just for chits and giggles I have the compressor that David R posted a link too got one heck of a deal on it I know the managers at my local chinko freight well it has a 60 gallon tank aaaaand I hooked it up too another 60 gallon tank giving me 120 gallons of air capacity I have been quite happy with this unit have run all my air tools on it including several chinko freight air tools the ones I have that eat the most air arre a die grinder and a cut off tool and neither of them tax this machine it also helps with the second tank that it takes a while too drop pressure on my system I looked long and hard at compressors when I got this one I had looked at every one out there including the husky ones in the $500 too $700 dollar range and the US general delivered more than any of them could on paper one nice thing about the depot is if you are not happy you can always take it back and tell em it isnt right and you would like your money back .

Rick