Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Elite Member

Default DeWalt Nano

Has anybody used or have any experience with the new line of DeWalt Nano cordless power tools? I need a new drill to replace my aging and noisy 18V XRP. It's 3 or 4 years old now. Been used pretty heavily. Had some warranty issues with it, new transmission, new chuck, etc. Batteries are getting weak.

I know any Lithium-Ion battery is going to be miles better than the NiCad's now. But is it worth it to go with the new DeWalt drill? Or should I be going with Milwaukee, or Bosch, or something else?

I think an 18V will suit me fine, not much need for more I think.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Standard of Excellence

I bought the new black and white Makita Lithiom Ion 18V and am not hugely impressed. I works okay but battery life leaves a little to be desired. It did not seem quite as torquey as some of the other 18v NiCads I have tried. It does charge fast, about 10 minutes, and is nice and light. I dropped it off a ladder a while back and the chuck bent. I was able to take it apart and repair it, but it was kind of a bugger getting all the tiny parts to line back up for reassembly.
It is miles better than the old 9.6v drills, which I have had many and this replaced, but I think I would have been better off going with a rigid (free battery replacement for life). The Rigid also looks to be a little more durable, but heavier.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM

I Like Rigid but the battery replacement is a little trickey as you have to send it away to get it replaced (you will be without a battery for up to 6 weeks). You can not just get it replaced at a Home-Depot store (at least not in Canada).

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

I think it's too early in the game to tell on the DeWalts. A V28 is significantly cheaper than a 18V Nano. So there's my answer I guess. A V18 is even more cheaper. I think I'll end up going with the Milwaukee, one of the two. Sberry should approve.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Big Iron

I think the nano is too expensive. I just bought another 18v XRP from Home Depot for $199.00 Came with 2 batteries and charger.