Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
pumpertruck's Avatar
pumpertruck pumpertruck is offline
Spinner of Wood
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pothole Hell, Anoka county, MN
Posts: 3,406
Default

Way back when I was doing the hatch covers for the vertical launchers we ran 75% helium and 25% argon for extra heat. We ran the Cobra feeders paired with Lincoln power supplies. It has been 10 years since that job so I don't remember what the power supply was. Preheat was 300 degrees. We ran 1/16 5356 wire.

Probably no help whatsoever.
__________________
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.....


http://www.ibrbsantas.org/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Pyro J's Avatar
Pyro J Pyro J is offline
Hearts on Fire
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,482
Default

Throw some welding blankets over any part you can and you will save a bunch on pre heat.

The Miller 350P will do 400 amps at 30% and 300 amps at 60% duty cycle.

I could not find the max amps of your CobraMig 260 but I think it will do 260 amps at 60%.

The Miller 350 MPA is 3 phase only?

I have no experience with any of these machines just putting up some numbers, hopefully a little useful.

The 350P with a water cooled push pull would be $weet though.
__________________
Definitely made it past my best before date, certifiable, but certified for nothing
I love the smell of 7018, just not in the morning

PT The pantywaists have taken all the fun and adventure out of life.
If a person isn't smart enough to not use the toaster in the bathtub, they deserve what they get.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 PM
DrBob's Avatar
DrBob DrBob is offline
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,423
Default Wow that's a big job!

Well, PW I'm completely out of my league when it comes to welding anything that heavy.

In your shoes I would most certainly get on the phone with the technical people at Miller. Once they understand that you are going to purchase a high end machine, they will go out of their way to help.

I'll bet that they can tell you exactly what you need in the way of welder, shielding gas, pre-heat and anything else to get this job done.

One thing for sure, Do this work before the weather warms up. I don't think you'd enjoy hanging over a large slab of 400 degree metal in the summertime.

DrBob
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 10,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
...... from Lucky Jack the Thief's push pull
thread...


Say What??
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
monckywrench's Avatar
monckywrench monckywrench is offline
trust but verify
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 4,457
Default

It wouldn't hurt to call Miller tech support and see what they recommend for the job.

Please pics of the job when done.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 PM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fuck Lake Charles
Posts: 21,434
Default

Quote:
In your shoes I would most certainly get on the phone with the technical people at Miller.
Excellant advice Dr. Bob. I've never seen the big 2, Miller or Lincoln, not jump through hoops when it came to helping with the spec'ing in of new equipment.

FWIW, in Salina, the Lincoln dealor was at the plant several times a week and sometimes would stand shoulder to shoulder when we were setting up an new production type machine with their welders being part of it. Automated beam welding monstrosities etc. and the like.

Give em a shout.

I would not hesitate doing something like this with my MM350P. It could handle it with ease. One of these days I'd like to push the thing to the point to make that awful quiet cooling fan actually turn on and run.
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Portable Welder Portable Welder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milan, MI
Posts: 132
Default

Pyro J, The Aluma Power 350 MPA is actual single or 3 phase machine.

It also comes with a price tag of $ 9,050.00

It would be nice if Miller had a shop set up to go and try there products to see which one is best for my application.

I've been to half a dozen Miller road shows over the years but they dont always have everything set up.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Say What??
You heard me... 10% of list is robbery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
It wouldn't hurt to call Miller tech support and see what they recommend for the job.

Please pics of the job when done.
Phone call are cheap and often very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Excellant advice Dr. Bob. I've never seen the big 2, Miller or Lincoln, not jump through hoops when it came to helping with the spec'ing in of new equipment.

FWIW, in Salina, the Lincoln dealor was at the plant several times a week and sometimes would stand shoulder to shoulder when we were setting up an new production type machine with their welders being part of it. Automated beam welding monstrosities etc. and the like.

Give em a shout.

I would not hesitate doing something like this with my MM350P. It could handle it with ease. One of these days I'd like to push the thing to the point to make that awful quiet cooling fan actually turn on and run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
Pyro J, The Aluma Power 350 MPA is actual single or 3 phase machine.

It also comes with a price tag of $ 9,050.00

It would be nice if Miller had a shop set up to go and try there products to see which one is best for my application.

I've been to half a dozen Miller road shows over the years but they dont always have everything set up.
My old Lincoln rep was a very nice guy even would buy me lunch once and
awhile trying to get a little red mixed in with my blue. One day I gave him a
chance. He brought in a Powermig 350 for me to try out. The goal was to
increase my throughput 20% over my MM350P, I would buy it. If they could
do that the ROI was 2-3 months. I played with it and then Chuck came over
and spent the better part of a day with me and had Lincoln support on the
phone for 2-3 hours total. I have had similar support with Miller, I spent a
whole day with one of their TIG Specialists playing with all of their machines
in Appleton, I kept asking him if he had to go, his answer was I am doing the
most important part of my job working with customers. I placed my order for
my Dynasty 300DX that day.

In short, both companies will bend over backwards for you. Call them they
will help you. And I would not be surprised if they set you up either in one of
their shop or at yours to test equipment, with hope that they would be
bringing home one less machine.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Portable Welder Portable Welder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milan, MI
Posts: 132
Default

Well, Unfortunately the Boring Mill shop and I received a phone call that we diddn't get the job.

You cant win them all.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
Well, Unfortunately the Boring Mill shop and I received a phone call that we diddn't get the job.

You cant win them all.
Sorry to hear that..


Was it a bid job?
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.