Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Default I want to use a 700 amp welder to burn 1/8" rods

Hey guys, first post. I am looking for advice on whether to buy a small welder or use a large old welder just sitting in my barn.

I bought a oxygen/acetylene outfit when I was fourteen and, for all these years, have just made do without a welder. Well, no more. All I really need is a small stick welder that will just see occasional use. I would probably use 1/8” rods. You can see my requirements are minimal.

I have a huge old Lincoln welder in my barn. The dial on this monster goes up to something like 600 or 700 amps. It must weigh at least 500 pounds….my brother & I had one heck of a time getting it into my barn. One of the input options is 230 single phase. I got it when a local shop downsized. I think the machine dates back to at least the mid 1960s. All I have is the machine (no cables, clamps, etc.)

Planned electric service to my barn will be limited to 60 amps. Is there a problem with hooking this huge welder up to a relatively small breaker and just keep the output dial turned down low? What else am I missing? Or should I just buy a new buzz box?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

You wont run it from 60A service and as a side note why limit new service to 60A? Maybe due to the wire? I use number 2 alum for these feeds instead of 6 copper, you can use 100 a breaker and the wire is a lot cheaper.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Surprisingly enough, the transformer doesn't care about the input current.... only the output current's important and the output load determines that. Even 5/64ths. rod will weld at 700 amps but you prolly can't feed it fast enough. Just don't expect to burn big rod for long lengths of time until the barn's fixed.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 06-11-2006, 11:46 PM

I'm trying to use wire I already have. I've got a 5000' foot spool of single conductor #6 solid copper wire. I think it is THN wire. The barn is about 250' from my load center.

My 200 amp load center has a lot of unused slots since I converted from total electric to natural gas. I am planning on running one set of wires for 120 volt lighting and outlets and another set for 240 volt service. I know it's not a lot; but, it will be one heck of a lot better than the extension cord I have used for years!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Frank I say get some leads for that monster hook it up and run it I have a miller dialarc250 currently running off a 50 amp breaker until I upgrade to a 200 amp service and havent had any problems . Granted I am not pushing the machine trying to weld 1 inch plate which it would do . My unit recomends a 125 amp breaker but thats is for balls to the wall wide open current which I will prolly never do in my garage .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank29
I'm trying to use wire I already have. I've got a 5000' foot spool of single conductor #6 solid copper wire. I think it is THN wire. The barn is about 250' from my load center.

My 200 amp load center has a lot of unused slots since I converted from total electric to natural gas. I am planning on running one set of wires for 120 volt lighting and outlets and another set for 240 volt service. I know it's not a lot; but, it will be one heck of a lot better than the extension cord I have used for years!
TIME OUT!

I think you should re-think this.... a "sub panel" in the barn is the least you should consider.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman
.....a "sub panel" in the barn is the least you should consider.
I'm going to do that. The 120 volt circuit will have a 60A breaker at the source load center and it will feed a small panel in the barn. I already have a main lug panel(this is not installed; just something else curretnly sitting in my barn); but, I think I'm going to get a main breaker panel.....I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the breaker sooooo far out of sight.

For the 240 volt circuit, I am thinking about one of those little units you see at the outside units of heat pumps.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman
Surprisingly enough, the transformer doesn't care about the input current.... only the output current's important and the output load determines that........
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic
Frank I say get some leads for that monster hook it up and run it I have a miller dialarc250 currently running off a 50 amp breaker until I upgrade to a 200 amp service and havent had any problems . Granted I am not pushing the machine........
Well, this sounds good. I believe you are both confirming that I can use the large Lincoln with only 60A service IF I keep the output low.

When I buy my leads, I'll have to remember not to mention the size of my welder!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Frank I am running number 4 cables on my dialarc currently 20 feet on each lead . The smaller leads remind me not to run the machine to hot .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 06-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Curmudgeon

Frank, I agree that its better than an extension cord but here are some things for you to consider:
Have you thought about the the voltage drop at that distance?
Seems to me that 250 feet is a pretty long run for #6 & a whole lot different than the 20 feet Rick is running; according to the the ampacity chart on this page, you're going to lose about 10+ volts & wind up with about 230 volts instead of 240v and 109 volts instead of 120v.
Besides that, it lists the mamimum transmission for 6AWG at 37 amps; is that enough for your operation?
Are you talking about overhead or burial? There is the heat dissipation factor to consider, too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951