Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Yup, every time I buy a new bottle it is about 40 bucks more than the previous one. I have now started on a freebie or trade off campaign inspired by 7018's aquisitions. Scored me a set yesterday for some tractor work and got a 150cf two weeks ago for about 1/2 the cost of a new one.....it is a start.

I wish Homey Despot would get bottles here..esp now that I have the new one two miles away. Would be nice to have another option. Can't tell you how many times I have run out on the weekends. I know they are doing it in North Tx...just not here.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

I got the 124cf bottle I filled with 98/2 for the price of gas to drive 4 miles away and pick it up. I've never migged enough in a week to bleed my 80cf dry, so not being able to exchanged it out from noon sat to 7am monday will likely never be a problem (and if it is, I can just spray weld right? ).

Argon, on the other hand - I have refilled that bottle with 200psi still showing on the reg on friday because I knew it wouldn't make it till sunday night. That's why the bigger tank. It also gives me that 150cf as a reserve, just in case.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 AM

JT, what LWS do you use in town here? Just curious because i usually use Twin Cities Oxygen, and am looking to get O/A tanks very soon.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Banned

Metro Welding over on central. The owner there is Bill and he's about as honest a guy as I have ever met who happened to own a store. I've been blown away at how he does business. He knows he needs to make a profit, but he's not out to screw anyone in keeping his doors open.

TCO was a major letdown on the 3 occasions I gave them a shot. I had them re-valve and hydro my 124cf O2 so I could run 98/2 in it. They gave it back to me with the relief valve (safety valve) not fully seated! I lost 500psi before I ever put a regulator on the tank. Had I waited another week, it would've been empty.

Then they mysteriously charged me 18 bucks. I showed them my bank statement, and they said I would need to dispute it because they had no idea who charged it either. I had dropped off that tank the week after Christmas, and they said it would be done the week after new years. Well, 4 days before I ever came back to pick up the tank, this charge shows up. I wasn't even in their store that day. The bank reversed it, but give me a freaking break! They could've found out what happened and given me the credit instead of making me dispute the charge.

They were actually bought by some outfit out of Sioux Falls and the new owner's rep was there when I went back to get my 124. I told them I would never return, and they just didn't seem to get it. They quoted me one price then charged me something else on everything. It took 45 mins to ever get out of that store because they had to somehow change the computer - like they'd never seen one before. I'm sorry, but I don't want to sit there and wait for you to pull your head out of your azz... I can go shoot the crap with the guys at Oxygen Service (and they'll at least treat me right), but if I need to get in and get out, they'll make it happen. OS's prices kept going up on the little stuff, and I was a bit peeved that I had to get a quote on anything off the shelf (the way most of these places run the game), and just happened to stumble into Metro Welding by accident (was driving by). I have nothing against OS, but Metro is worth the extra 5 mins, if nothing else, to keep an honest man's doors open. His bottle prices are unreal compared to the other shops. I saved about $90 on my 336cf and he delivered it free.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Urban Gunfighter

I use the same guy as Shade... I can't speak highly enough of the service and support him and his guys have given me. top notch crew in my opinion. I have to deal with another vendor for my 02/acetylene set (bought them before I knew the new guys). they are one of the most arrogant vendors I have ever dealt with. and their competitors have been getting some of their customers because of it...

anyways, a big thumbs up for SJ Smith in Streator.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071
I use the same guy as Shade... I can't speak highly enough of the service and support him and his guys have given me. top notch crew in my opinion. I have to deal with another vendor for my 02/acetylene set (bought them before I knew the new guys). they are one of the most arrogant vendors I have ever dealt with. and their competitors have been getting some of their customers because of it...

anyways, a big thumbs up for SJ Smith in Streator.
Rick (Farmer) and everyone (Mike, Bob and Rob) does a great job at SJ Smith!!! And I use him due to Chumly's recommendation.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

When you find a good one, give them you business. That sends a loud message to the idiots that don't want your business. Now......if they would just understand what the message we are sending them actually means.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 06-23-2006, 11:06 PM

rocketeir, I was going to suggest CWIS in Sanford but I see you've already checked with them.

I found 14 gas suppliers in the Fayetteville yellow pages.

And hello to everyone. Been lurking for a long time and finally decided to come in from the cold. So much good information here.

Last edited by Teacher; 06-23-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
rocketeir, I was going to suggest CWIS in Sanford but I see you've already checked with them.

I found 14 gas suppliers in the Fayetteville yellow pages.

And hello to everyone. Been lurking for a long time and finally decided to come in from the cold. So much good information here.

Well welcome to the mad house teacher come on in pull up a chair grab a cold beverage and sit a spell .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 06-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Curmudgeon

Welcome aboard, Teacher.
And thank you for posting your location.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951